MacBook running parallels using a networked Quickbooks is SLOW

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lindsayanng, Jan 22, 2009.

1. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

This is REALLY bad. I finally talked my boss into getting a mac, and figured that we can run parallels on it and put our quickbooks on the XP and then connect to the server computer so we can work on the same file at the same time..

It all works. i got everything up - it was a HUGE hassel with VISTA running on the server computer, but my issue is, it takes FOREVER to open Quick Books or perform any QB functions..

Is there something going on with the mac?? Do you think its possible that the server computer running vista is making the mac jump through hoops to connect to and make changes to a file on its public folder??

WHAT can be causing this. I know the version of QB is good, its a legit copy and is running fine on here.. Are there things i can "TURN OFF" on XP 9on the mac) in order to make it run faster or more effeciently.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I think it is a Vista issue. I have a friend who has his own company that uses all Macs, except his QB server which is XP and they don't seem to have any problems running it that way. You can also run into a bottle neck if you and your boss are trying to access the same file or application at the same time. And it also depends on how your network is set up as well. My friend uses a citrix client to connect to the server running QB.

EDIT*** I do not know what can be done. My level of IT is not that high. sorry

3. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I am just wondering if there are any settings that i can turn off on Vista.. i know, this is a mac forums.. but you guys are smart..

Also, for the network we are just using a wireless linksys router.. Should we consider getting better hardware?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Are you trying to run Quickbooks using Parallels on Mac Alpha and access Vista on PC Bravo? It sounds to me that your problem might not be Quickbooks or Vista, but rather trying to run an application (or at least data files) through a network. It usually doesn't work well.

What type of network are you running? Is there any way to use a remote desktop connection to access Quickbooks instead? I've never had good luck trying to run applications across a network.

EDIT: I see you're on a wireless network. You will almost certainly see a performance increase by using a wired network, but again, I think it's the setup, not the network, app, or OS.

5. Nero9171 macrumors member

Parallels is a resource hog, which is why I switched to VMWare.

Also, even though Vista claims it will run on only a gig of ram, you are going to want 2 or more for it to run smooth. How much ram is installed in your Macbook, and how much have you dedicated to the virtual machine?

6. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I will have to look into the RAM info when i get back to work. The parallels software came pre-installed from macmall, so i will check it out when i get there..

I figured parallels would be a resource hog, but i also figured that it was the only way to get my boss to use it. he was SOO against getting a mac because she thought she couldnt learn it.. STUPID

What do you suggest doing instead of a network?? I will try ANYTHING, but I am not the most tech savy person when it comes to networking and pairing computers. Its funny, I can set up and entire virtual server on my own computer and do websites and all that, but i can not figure out computer networking..

If you can give me a different option for pairing the two computers ASIDE from a network, i will try it..

Also, when you wire the two together, do you use firewire? Do you keep the same network setup?

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You can pair the computers together any way you like, although I would recommend using the router you're already using. Your problem is trying to run Quickbooks on both computers while having it installed on only one.

Network your two computers, install Quickbooks on both of them - you may need to buy two licenses for this - and for the sake of all that is holy, don't try accessing the same file from both computers at the same time - that's asking for trouble, if you can even pull it off.

Most reputable applications "lock" a file for editing when another user or application has it open. The purpose is this - say for example you make a change to the file while your boss has it open, then your boss makes a different change, then you save, then she saves - your change will be lost.

Seriously, I admire that you're trying to do this, but it's a really, really bad idea. You can install Quickbooks on both computers (please don't wreck your sanity by trying to run it through the network - you see how slow it gets), and each of you can access the same file, but not at the same time.

If you need some help with networking, let us know - but it sounds like you've already got that part whipped.

8. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I'm sorry, i thought i clarified. QB is installed on both computers. You run QB and then just access the same file when doing changes and such. The MAC will run slow even if the file is not open on the PC (PC is the server computer)

It is not a bad idea. QB is MADE for this. they have muti-user mode built in to the files and you can create as many users as you have licenses and they ALL can access the same file and make changes that will show up for everyone in real time.. There are some securities to make sure that two users are not in the same transaction, and it will not let you do certain things in multiuser mode like making a backup (you cant backup a file that someone else is making changes in) and you can't do certain tax functions.. but its not nearly as bad as you think..

QB has a DB server that is all set up on the network, so essentially, its not the file that we are editing when we open it in multiuser mode, but just the shared DB which is on the server. Similar to how serverside websites work.

9. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

So the Vista server has Quickbooks and it's accessed by the network that is made up of windows computers and this MacBook with Parallels/XP right? Do the other computers access QB fine? It's just the Mac/XP one having a slow down? I'd have to say that you don't have enough RAM in your MacBook. What are the specs for your MacBook and how much memory did you allocate for the VM?

10. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

actually, there are only TWO computers ever involved. The Vista computer (server) and the macbook (connecting to vista)

I can look into the memory. I didnt make it into the office, but i will be there monday. If you would be so kind as to check back on this thread on monday, i will let you know

11. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

ok.. So this is what I have and what is set up

I have a macbook with 2.4 GHz 2 GB - it seems that there is 1GB per "machine" I attached a link to some screen shots for my computer profile here:

Complete System Preferences
    Machine Allocation

When i go to parallel and click on memory, i set it to manual and the memory to the max of 1432.

HOWEVER, when i go to VIRTUAL MACHINE and then configure, then i click on memory and there is a slider there to allocate memory, the option to change it is greyed out, which i not understand..

it says the following
    Recommended Range: 128MB to 1236

then the slider is on 512MB

now, we use the XP to run the only big program on the entire computer which is QB. So there is no need what so ever to allocate a lot to the OSX because it is ONLY used for e-mail (the mail app) and firefox.. and the XP is ONLY used for WORD and QB..

I am going to mess with it some more, but if you can give me some info as to why the option ont he VM configure is greyed out, that would be great.

Also, i cant remember if i said this, but this was all installed by MACMALL so the configured came from them to start.

12. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

You're not able to mess with the VM configuration while it's started (windows on). You'll have to stop the VM (exit windows) and then it won't be grayed out and will be adjustable.

13. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Ok.. so i officially have 1GB for each machine, which is what they say is idea, however i am STILL having the same issue with opening QB in XP!

I have conluded that it is probably not a networking issue, because it is equally as slow on startup as it is when connected to the networked file.. So it can not be the network.

NOW, is there something else I can do to optimize the performance.. maybe shut down some unnessecary programs or something like that???

14. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

ok.. so here is what i got from Parallels AFTER shelling out $30.00 for customer support.

Ok. The guy from india that i paid $30 to talk to told me to set it to 1G
    Ok. so i will try this one
    I specifically asked him if coherence mode slowed down the computer, and he said absolutely not. He mentioned NOTHING about resolution
    He also said that there should not be any issues because it was XP. well, i KNEW that he was wrong when he told me that, but to have their tech support say its not an issue, and then put it into a "how to optimize" list is just stupid
    No mention of this from tech support
    hah.. what? isnt that what I am trying to do?!
    Hmmm Again, he told me to keep it even. So a 2GB computer would be 1GB and 1GB
    I have no idea what this means.

15. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Morning Lindsay -

Perhaps you should consider upgrading that MacBook to 4GB of RAM (it can go up to 6GB). It will cost around $40-$50 and it would have been money better spent than with the man from India. Another possibility would be to run xp exclusively at the office using BootCamp and that way you don't share resources between the 2 OS's at the same time.

I'm really not that familiar with QuickBooks and networking it and windows networks so you may need additional help in those areas as well.

Good luck to you -GDF

16. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

the reason i chose parallels was because the internet is used a LOT and i basically wanted the OSX run firefox and the mail program at the same time as quickbooks. I mean, if we were going to use JUST XP then we would have just gotten a cheaper PC and be prepared to replace it every so often.

I do agree though, that i should upgrade the ram. I dont think that I realized how much memory it would take, and that you actually have to split it between servers, otherwise i would have gotten her to get the bigger one form the start.

Oh well, it IS running a LOAD better now. I disabled a bunch of stuff in msconfig.

I am trying to figure out how to disable THEMES though.. it hought i did, but apparently i did not

17. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

My take on the memory situation.....

Mac OS X needs about 1GB+ in order to run the programs that you desire efficiently (i.e. FireFox, Mail.app, and Parallels Desktop)

windows xp would normally need about 512MB of RAM but evidently QuickBooks, or at least how you have it configured, needs more memory so I'd say that it needs 1GB as well.

You only have 2GB to share between the 2 OS's.

If you were to upgrade to 4GB of RAM ($40 and D-I-Y) and allocate 2GB to windows, you probably will work pretty well. NOTE: This is my opinion and not from experience. I would have no way of testing this situation. But, the worst that could happen is you've inexpensively upgraded your MacBook.

If you were to BootCamp into xp by itself, you can still use QuickBooks and FireFox but you'd have to switch to a different email client like ThunderBird.

18. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

well, I just went into the XP "my computer" properties and set the advanced settings to "better performance" instead of "better looking" and it has made a world of difference! I dont even think i need to add more memory (although i still might just because)

XP has all of those themes and animations on closed windows and loads of crap that takes up the memory.. It doesnt look very pretty, kind of remnant of the windows 95, but its ok for now.. It works!! FINALLY!!

So is there a tutorial somewhere on how install more ram? Im pretty good with building stuff, i'm confident i can do it..

19. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

20. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

thanks SO MUCH for the help and walking me through this.> It was SUCH a headache.. I dont think i would suggest parallels to anyone who is a PC user that wants to run their mac like a PC though.. Not unless you are a computer PERSON.. unlike the boss.. i was HOPEING i could change someone, but so far, no good.

OH YEA.. a suggestiong on where to get the memory and where?? apple store?

21. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

My favorite place is Macsales.com. Others like Newegg.com, Amazon and the like but Macsales is very complete, informative, reputable. and reasonably priced.

22. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

AWESOME!! So you suggest to get the 4GB minimum right?? And this will be in addition to what is already in there?

like i said, i know computers, but not the innards. I would love to try and install it.. Heres a question though, will it void the warranty if i do the install.. Probably right?

23. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Whats the different between DDR3 SODIMM and DDR2 SD RAM??

I was looking at prices and such, and saw that macsales is DIRT CHEAP, and apple store is insanely expensive.. then i went to macmall which seems to be middle of the road, but they dont give too much information for comparison purposes.

Basically, which memory card should i purchase?? i want something good, but i really dont need something crazy good.. This computer literally runs quickbooks, firefox, word, and mail.. Thats it.. And although the 2GB is doing ok now, I would like to make windows look pretty again.. And speed it up to as fast as the program can go..

If this works out.. I also have a MacBook Pro at home that runs ALL of my web design and graphics programs that has 2GB.. I would LOVE to add 6RAM to it.. I wouldnt mind spending $250 but i cant afford the apple store's $1500!!

24. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Your MacBook takes DDR2....the new aluminum MacBooks take DDR3

It's all the same RAM basically. Just different marketing. I usually like to pay less like at MacSales.

Any of the purchases on this page will work. I suggest a 4GB kit but they do offer a 6GB kit and a 4GB individual that you could couple with a 2GB individual. In answer to your post before this one.... you will be removing your old Ram (2 each 1GB chips) in order to have 4GB (2 each 2GB chips) or 6GB (1 4GB chip and 1 2GB chip) My strong suggestion for what you do is a 4GB kit (2 each 2GB chips). Also, changing the RAM in a MacBook is a do-it-yourself user operation according to Apple and it doesn't void your warranty unless you cause damage to your MacBook in the process of changing it. If you follow the instructions, you'll be fine.
    Again on the MacSales.com site, you can go here and click MacBook Pro and then the Show Models button below the list and it will take you to the offerings. It's a little harder to install memory in a MBP but there are instructions and videos all over the net. I just looked at the one at the MacSales sight and it looks easy.

25. lindsayanng thread starter macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Awesome.. Thanks so much for all that info..

I have ONE other little question.. NOW i am talking about my Macbook Pro 2.16Ghz intel Duo..

When i search for that particular computer's acceptable memory (click here to see what i'm talking about) it only shows 1GB and lower individual cards.. no 2Gb.. BUT there is a 2GB card under the 15" macbook pro 2.16Ghz (same cpu, different monitor size)

SO i just got confused again.