Macbook screen hit by flying beer bottle screen toast

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harkonan, Feb 16, 2008.

1. harkonan macrumors newbie

My white MacBook took a direct hit from a flying beer bottle on the weekend. As a consequence, the screen is now toast - LCD is totally cracked. Two choices I assume 1. take to Apple and repair at big cost 2. fit generic LCD screen.

Any thoughts?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Send it to a certified mac repair house that may be able to do discount work.

Once you go generic LCD, you might as well send AppleCare in for a refund.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You might also initiate a lawsuit against said bottle thrower for actual and punitive damages.

4. khosna macrumors member

5. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I totally agree ... if I had a party and someone smashed my screen, they would be paying for it.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

if i had a party my macbook wouldnt be anywhere near everyone else...sorry about your luck dude but its your own fault for leaving it out where it could get damaged

7. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I'd make proper arrangements for the source of the flying bottle to assure me financial support. I'd also take it to a certified Apple tech. The screen is nothing you want to take lightly.

8. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

Yeah, sorry to seem callous but I agree. Bringing cool toys to a party means you have to be that much more careful with them...

Looks like it's going to cost you around $275 to fix it if you have the current revision (I think this is right):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/A-NEW-APPLE-MAC...ryZ81687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Or about $200 for the previous gen (don't know the difference, resolution is the same but the connections could be different, brightness greater, etc):
    http://cgi.ebay.com/A-NEW-APPLE-MAC...ryZ81687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ifixit.com I think has instructions on how to build most macs from scratch, I'd look to that and eBay to fix it.

9. gonnabuyamac macrumors 6502

It sucks about your screen, but I have to admit that the title of your thread is probably the most amusing I've seen in a while. No offense - I would be ticked if that happened to my laptop.

10. dogbait macrumors regular

Considering how many DJs use Macbooks at gigs I'd be more surprised if a Macbook wasn't to be found at a party.

11. Spievy macrumors regular

WTH... That is like saying it is your fault your car got stolen at the mall.

Get the idiot that threw the beer bottle to pay the damages. Unless of course you threw the beer bottle, in that case I am sorry that I called you an idiot.:D

Sorry about your computer but this thread did make me smile

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

...when you leave the doors open and the keys in the ignition...

13. MYRZ macrumors member

haha, this guy only asked for advice on the screen... not on the legal/moral issue's...:rolleyes: maybe he threw the bottle himself... :D

14. Spievy macrumors regular

Unfortunately this is what society has come to. (thugs and crooks)

I live in the country and don't lock my cars and sometimes leave my house unlocked.

15. barijazz macrumors 6502

He's got a point there.

16. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well sure but they are usually sitting up with the Dj away from flying objects...his was most likely sitting open on a table with no one around, how else is the front going to get hit by a beer bottle?

17. barijazz macrumors 6502

18. JDR macrumors regular

Just wait until Murphy's Law strikes...

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Doesn't matter when the nearest house a half a mile down the road and out of line of sight.

20. Spievy macrumors regular

I knew somebody was going to say something like that :)
    (btw my closest neighbor is about 200 feet away, and I have all the services of a city)

I just don't believe it is his fault, that someone threw a beer bottle at his computer.

21. ibizarocks macrumors regular

22. barijazz macrumors 6502

If his computer is toast what is he logging onto this site with?

23. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

[​IMG]

24. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'd be throwing a beer bottle back at whoever threw it and then going after them for damages. Sorry about your luck. That's why I love my Apple TV, whenever I have a party it's time to just stream from my bedroom to the TV and system that are where the party is.