Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sophisaur

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2006
Hi, as a graphic artist, I've noticed that a photo on my Macbook screen that looks normal looks very very contrasted and darker on the monitor of a PC. So when I edit photos, I tend to make them the right amount of contrast, but they look really contrasted on others' monitors. Is there some sort of option to make the screen on my mac more contrasted? Has anyone else noticed this or is it only my mac?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Mac's have a default gamma of 1.8, vs. 2.2 for PCs. I find 1.8 is much, much closer to "reality" (and Epson Photo printer(s)). Using default Color LCD profile (just haven't spent the time to create a calibrated profile that ends up as close).

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Mac's have a default gamma of 1.8, vs. 2.2 for PCs. I find 1.8 is much, much closer to "reality" (and Epson Photo printer(s)). Using default Color LCD profile (just haven't spent the time to create a calibrated profile that ends up as close).

Odd, but I find the default mac gamma of 1.8 to be far too washed out to be useable. As a matter of fact, the absolute first thing I do when I reinstall OSX is to get the gamma to 2.2 to make things looks "normal" (in my eyes at least).

For the original poster, calibrate the display and set the gamma to 2.2 (without making any other changes). That should give you the extra contrast boost you are looking for.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
1.8 is the standard for print. I would use the calibrator software, or buy a hardware one (which you should use if you are a graphical artist, most graphical artists have them, so ask a colleague).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.