Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabregreen

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2008
To do a hardware test, you insert the OS X install discs and boot off it by holding the "d" key as the comuter starts up. The crashing can be caused by bad memory, running low on memory and your programs are trying to create virtual memory space in logical memory that doesn't exist, bad OS X install, permission issues, or hard drive corruption. There are other possibilities but these are the most likely causes. By upgrading to two gigs, you would bypass a memory defect and deficit all together.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
I think I may have fixed it!!

I checked the login items and a bunch of stuff was on there like 3 times, some of it I didn't even use, and I rebooted and logged me in faster than it had in a long time! And it says I have about 400MB free RAM, not 30MB, it's been on for a few hours and it's fine, I need to go somewhere now so I will leave it asleep and see how it is when I get back, let's hope for the best!

If it scews up again I will do a hardware test and if it's bad RAM I will replace it (I was gonna update it anyway)

Thanks for the help so far, fingers crossed it's ok now!!!

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Up about 10 hours and still goin' great! Think I fixed it! :)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 70

elvtnedge

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
How do you check login items?

I ask this as Ive had my mini for 2 years and only ran ONYX every so often. Anything I can check to help speed it up again would be great

I think I may have fixed it!!

I checked the login items and a bunch of stuff was on there like 3 times, some of it I didn't even use, and I rebooted and logged me in faster than it had in a long time! And it says I have about 400MB free RAM, not 30MB, it's been on for a few hours and it's fine, I need to go somewhere now so I will leave it asleep and see how it is when I get back, let's hope for the best!

If it scews up again I will do a hardware test and if it's bad RAM I will replace it (I was gonna update it anyway)

Thanks for the help so far, fingers crossed it's ok now!!!

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
elvtnedge, just go into System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items (the tab at the top) and just remove the ones you dont use. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.