Macbook shutting down on their own

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmba, Apr 2, 2013.

1. vmba macrumors newbie

I have a mid 2009 macbook pro. He's shutting down on their own. It pops up a warning telling if I really want to shut down the computer, if I don't click 'cancel', it does do it without further action.
    I think the problem is on the trackpad. If I keep the finger in the trackpad, none of this problems will occur.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Ok, its hard to understand you. First off, is your Mac getting hot?

3. vmba thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, on the bottom

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

5. vmba thread starter macrumors newbie

Happened sometimes

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Do you have a 2008 or 2009 model? If it's a 2008 your logic board may be going as well...

8. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

1. what are you doing at the time it asks the question? Nothing, playing video, editing video, running a virtual machine, editing Photoshop graphics, rendering a fractal, rendering 3D imagery, playing a game, etc? The more info here would come in handy, to gauge how much work the system is doing at a given time... I recall my mid-2009 MacBook Pro (17") getting up to 92C under full load... but that's another story.

2. what is the temperature reading? Find and install iStat Pro, as it will show temperatures.

3. When each shutdown query pops up, is there a pattern of similarly high temperatures between incidents? (Especially if the readout is 90C (194F) or higher?)

4. Are the vents clean?

5. Are you on battery or AC power? If the latter, how old is the power brick? AND does the brick get scalding hot to the touch? (The brick might be wearing out as well...)

Others are right; I too believe there is a thermal problem, but more information is needed for a more precise diagnosis.

9. vmba thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think it's a temperature problem because the computer will shut down even at low temperatures. If I keep the finger on the trackpad, it will not shut down, if I take the finger off the trackpad, it will shut down.
    The only nuance is that before shutting down, the computer shows a shut down pop up just like the one that appear when the power button is pressed.
    If I turn on the computer, if I don't keep the finger in the trackpad, the computer will shut off in a few seconds.

10. simonfromthenyc macrumors newbie

Figure it out yet?

My macbook just started doing this today. Wondering if you figured out how to fix it. I tried resetting the SMC twice and both times didn't work. Also, when I reset the SMC it was very difficult to turn my Macbook back on. :confused: