Macbook shutting down when closed and plugged In

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by celestialbrat, Jun 16, 2016.

1. celestialbrat macrumors newbie

celestialbrat

Macbook 13inch mid 2012
    Running on Yosemite 10.10.05

Despite what I do to my power settings my macbook will shut completely down when plugged in after about an hour. But will stay in sleep mode for days/ until it runs out of power when not plugged in. Seem like something is backwards here????? Probably unrelated but when I boot it backup the screen will be frozen long enough for the screen to go black and stay black (total of about 4 mins) then it will come to (with some button fidgeting) and let me enter my password. Is there anyway to edit the power settings more then whats in the system preferences? this has all been happening for a couple of updates so it not that.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

You have a MacBook Pro not a MacBook. What's the condition of the battery?

3. celestialbrat thread starter macrumors newbie

celestialbrat

Yes Pro sorry. How do I check my battery condition?

4. chscag macrumors 68000

There are several good battery monitor and health apps that you can download from the Mac App Store. Here's one that is popular.

5. JohnDS macrumors 65816

You need to check your console logs for messages immediately before the computer shut down.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Consider the possibility of an automated stop in response to overheating, or in response to a heat sensor problem. An Apple Authorised Service Provider should be able to diagnose the hardware properly, with an Apple utility that's not available to the public.

With luck, there may also be something of interest amongst the messages that followed the start.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/219505/8546