Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
With all the complaints about washed out colors on the Macbook, this screen looks beautiful to me!

url

Anyone agree that the colors look amazing, and if not whats wrong with it minus the glare! By the way does the higher end 2.4ghz have a better screen?

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Some people say it is washed out, but i think its fine. of course it doesnt compare to the macbook pro screen.

Sareth

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
It's purely anecdotal but I'm convinced my new macbook screen (week 12 09 manufacture) is better than the three macbooks I tried (various problems with stuff stuck under the screen) in December (aside from the stuff stuck under the screen of course)

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
Calibrate it!

You should calibrate it. It looks like it has too much of a blue tint. If calibration does not correct it, it is most likely because it's 'washed out'.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Even from that picture the colours look awful. Way too much blue all over. Look at the Safari and iChat icons. You cannot even see where the blue ends and the white starts - it is all just a bluey-grey mush.

Compare and contrast with the Macbook Pro and Air.

Sareth

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Even from that picture the colours look awful. Way too much blue all over. Look at the Safari and iChat icons. You cannot even see where the blue ends and the white starts - it is all just a bluey-grey mush.

Compare and contrast with the Macbook Pro and Air.

I just took a photo with my crappy camera with the same desktop background and the blue tint appeared in the photo. irl there is a clear contrast.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
I pulled the MBA, MBP, and MB next to eachother in Best Buy the other day and really could hardly tell a different. I don't know what the big deal is, but I'm perfectly satisfied with my MB's display.

NewGenAdam

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
I pulled the MBA, MBP, and MB next to eachother in Best Buy the other day and really could hardly tell a different. I don't know what the big deal is, but I'm perfectly satisfied with my MB's display.

Really? I think the difference is quite staggering.
For one, the Air is matte; not reflective. I think it's also brighter.

phoobo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
not for the colors

With all the complaints about washed out colors on the Macbook, this screen looks beautiful to me!

People are easily seduced by hyper-vivid colors, but for long-term use reading TEXT, it is not the ideal. For reading without fatigue, the MB is far superior to the MBA (which people like to rave about). The MBA -- *all* MBAs -- have a graininess to them that induces eyestrain. (I'm not talking about the "lines" problem, but a different quality issue that affects all Airs, whatever generation.) I know from experience: I have returned 3 of them because they caused headaches.

No problems with the aluminum MB. Its screen comes from a different manufacturer; its image is much smoother and more refined.

But calibrate it!

http://aynrandsucks.blogspot.com/

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
waloshin, if you like what you see, then just get it. IMO, your own personal opinion is what counts since you'll be the one using that screen, if/& when you buy the MacBook. Good luck. :)

GeekGirl*

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2009
Buffalo, NY
Not true, my Uni macbook causes MORE strain due to the glass and gloss over the screen, My Air I have none of these eye problems from your photo you can see you have a bald head and maybe glasses?

Thats glossy, but if you like it great!

youssefm

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
my screen is extremely washed out, when i photoshop things (nothing too intensive, and for fun) i cant get colors right -_- idk, i tried calibrating but it didnt work so i guess an external monitor is good lol

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
my screen is extremely washed out, when i photoshop things (nothing too intensive, and for fun) i cant get colors right -_- idk, i tried calibrating but it didnt work so i guess an external monitor is good lol

Don't give up so easily! There are a bunch of Color Profiles out there, do a search and you'll see a couple of threads with just profiles from different people.
Try some of those on, and see what looks good to you.

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Don't give up so easily! There are a bunch of Color Profiles out there, do a search and you'll see a couple of threads with just profiles from different people.
Try some of those on, and see what looks good to you.

I was wondering about this. I am seriously considering a MB but when I looked at them in the store, the screen was definitely a turn-off. I was wondering if it's just because they haven't been calibrated. I know when I get a new Mac, the first thing I have to do is calibrate it or play with the colors to get it looking decent. I'm wondering if the MB screens can be calibrated to something good?

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But from a specification point of view (contrast ratio and viewing angle) the MB screen is markedly inferior to that of the MBA or MBP.

As someone that works on a notebook 8-12 hours a day, I have a definite preference for the MBA, followed by the MBP and then way at the back of the pack the MB.

I can use any of these machines for business use all day long under optimal conditions. But the MB's viewing angle is very narrow that makes it hard to maintain a viewing position that keeps the screens brightness from top to bottom consistent. It's extremely glossy screen complicates this as when you adjust the screen angle to avoid ceiling lights you end up looking at a screen thats lighter or darker at top or bottom. And its very low contrast ratio makes most blacks actually gray - ok for text but harder on the eyes, and unacceptable for all but the most casual use for multimedia applications.

Adjusting the color profile can make it "look" a little better but actually helps none of its problems.

That said, if it looks good to you - go for it!

AboveTheChaos

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But from a specification point of view (contrast ratio and viewing angle) the MB screen is markedly inferior to that of the MBA or MBP.

As someone that works on a notebook 8-12 hours a day, I have a definite preference for the MBA, followed by the MBP and then way at the back of the pack the MB.

I can use any of these machines for business use all day long under optimal conditions. But the MB's viewing angle is very narrow that makes it hard to maintain a viewing position that keeps the screens brightness from top to bottom consistent. It's extremely glossy screen complicates this as when you adjust the screen angle to avoid ceiling lights you end up looking at a screen thats lighter or darker at top or bottom. And its very low contrast ratio makes most blacks actually gray - ok for text but harder on the eyes, and unacceptable for all but the most casual use for multimedia applications.

Adjusting the color profile can make it "look" a little better but actually helps none of its problems.

That said, if it looks good to you - go for it!

Thanks for the opinion. I think I'm going to wait a little while to see if there's an update with possibly a better screen. If not by summer, I'll have to figure out what my alternatives are at that point.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath

Anyone agree that the colors look amazing, and if not whats wrong with it minus the glare! By the way does the higher end 2.4ghz have a better screen?

I just bought the new white one and noticed it's sort of flat (doesn't pop like my long gone SR MBP display did), however, when I compared them at the store, the alum MB display was better. I just couldn't justify a $500 difference to get to the low end alum MB. @ $800 after rebate I guess I can live with a lesser screen while still having a Mac.

Cheers,

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
Pretty much every laptop screen sucks, with the possible exception of the (very rare) IPS panels that shipped on some ThinkPads ages ago.

Just my 0.02c.

Edit: Fixed typo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.