macbook stuck on apple startup screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by shardz, May 4, 2009.

1. shardz macrumors newbie

Hi,

Ok so about a week ago I was using my computer and it froze, I waiting a while and it did nothing so I forced quit and restarted. But to my suprise nothing really happened. It went straight a gray screen with nothing on it and it sounded like it was trying to start up but couldn't. So I inserted my Install Leopard disc (which I upgraded to around 2 -3 months ago) to try and boot up the computer & check to see if there was anything wrong.

When I tried to do a repair it kept telling me that

"Invalid B-tree node size"

and it would not be able to repair it. Called Apple help and they told me that I needed to Parition the drive and then reinstall leopard onto my computer. (they just gave me the basic's as I dont have cover and didnt really want to pay). So I got the information on how to do that and went on my way. The first couple of times I tried to partition the drive (then varify the drive) it would come up with different errors. And that meant that when I went to reinstall leopard it would get about 80% through then tell me that it was unable to install some files onto my hard drive.

I thought maybe I was doing something wrong and every now and then would try partitioning my drive again to see if it would install leopard. Until last night it finally was able to install leopard onto my computer - and I was thrilled. So it once that was done it needed to restart itself. I left it as it was to do its own thing. But when it went to start up it wont go pass the apple startup screen, and I cannot seem to find out why!!!

I have done a pram reset (i think thats its) and started up in single mode - to see if there are any other errors & have done a million repairs to double check as well. But still nothing. I have left it on the startup screen for ages to see maybe its just taking its time, but no nothing!!

Can someone please help - is there something that I'm forgetting to do first???

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It sounds like the partition table is corrupt, and since it holds the data for the "new" partitions, I'm not too surprised there are more problems.

If your install DVD (Disk Utility) can't fix it, I would recommend Disk Warrior. it has the ability to rebuild, and (at your discretion) replace it.

If you have AppleCare, you can download TechTools Deluxe (it's a "benefit" of AppleCare). I still recommend Disk Warrior, if you're going to invest a tool.

3. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Happens all the time with macbooks at my job. 50% of the time disk warrior takes care of it. The other 50% the Hard Drive needs to be replaced. 90% of the time even if the Hard drive is no good I can still target disk mode the machine and get the info off of it.

Note: My percentages are an estimate and I currently have no physical data to back up my numbers.

4. shardz thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey,

Ok so Disk warrior should fix the problem, cus I tried to reinstall leopard on last time last night and amazingly it worked. And then it restarted an I went through the whole set up procedure and got my computer on and working. So I decided to do some software updates just to make sure that it wasn't anything to do with that. Then when it went to restart once the updates were done, it restarted fine but then froze when I had to enter in my password to access my computer. AND no suprise it would load up again and I went back to Disc untility and guess what 'invalid b-tree node size' error comes up again!!! I seem to be having no luck with this error, it seems to keep coming back all the time.

PS - I do think there is something wrong with my partition section cus I tried to partition again but there is no change with repairing the disk, I still get the same error. Is there anyway to get disk warrior without paying?? If not where would be the best place to purchase???

Thanks

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You can buy Disk Warrior online and download it. DiskWarrior 4 It's well worth having in one's toolkit.