Macbook--thumbs up or down?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by idoccurt, May 10, 2015.

1. idoccurt macrumors regular

Comments?

----------

Need to decide on which one to buy? Air/pro/macbook?

2. darkgremio macrumors 6502

Thumbs up for me, I use it for very minimal things (word processing, excel, and powerpoint) I somewhat use Photoshop for very simple things like cropping and change dimensions of graphics and a little bit of graphic design on the go. I have tried World of Warcraft, which performed perfectly fine on low graphics (fine for me is anything 27+ FPS). I don't play much World of Warcraft anymore, due to having so many other priorities.

Generally situation will dictate if it's a thumbs up or thumbs down. I haven't noticed any killer slow downs, or nothing I can say, "wow this is taking a bit to load." I haven't noticed any UI lag either.

3. jazz1 macrumors 65816

jazz1

If thinness and portability for a laptop is a priority the 12" Macbook really is a breakthrough device for OS X. I'm thinking the USB-C is going to pay off in the as I plan to use an Anker external battery for car trips and plane trips.

It is pricey on a price performance consideration , but the new keyboard and retina screen really add to this laptop's usability when compared to the Macbook Air.

Would I like the CPU to be a little faster? Yes, I would, but the 1.2 is meeting 90% of my mobile needs.

My biggest headache is trying to wean myself off of the iPad Air 2. Its battery life and size are even more portable for trips. The aftermarket keyboard cases just didn't work well for me. So the iPad will probably stay home this summer for my East and West coast trips. That will be my true test for the 12" Macbook.

I'm hoping OS X gets tuned up in the near future for this laptop. From what I've read there is speculation that this will happen. I hope this is the case, as I've seen the same operating system maturity catch up to my iPad Air 2.

I'll probably be in line for version 2, and pass this on to one of my kids.

4. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

As an owner of this device, I have to give it a "thumb down"...

nothing wrong with the device itself, it's a solid machine, However it could be so much more.

Pro:
    *very compact and well made
    *backlit keyboard is a huge improvement
    *finally able to use third party charger or portable battery

Con:
    *can justify having only 1 port. (We all know future gen will have more, just look at the original MBA)
    *some performance issue with basic operation (see other threads about it)
    *battery is subpar.
    *very expensive for what you are getting.

Definitely see gen 2 being amazing, but as the package right now, I wouldn't recommend to others

5. Kiwi 99 macrumors regular

Kiwi 99

Definitely thumbs up. I was expecting the processor to be a compromise, but the whole setup is really amazingly efficient. (There's more to computer speed and performance than just the cycle speed).
    I've got the 1.2ghz model. Two thumbs up if thats allowed.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

7. Suxamethonium macrumors newbie

Suxamethonium

Definite thumbs up.

I think it is very individual. If you want a desktop replacement, or a lot of ports then look elsewhere. If you want a highly portable notebook then it is gold.

8. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

Best laptop ever owned. Had a few MacBooks over years and this is what it was all leading too. Lack of ports has created no issues for me at all.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Thumbs up from me. I haven't had any issues with performance, even running Windows 8.1 in Parallels Desktop. The screen is as nice as on my 13" rMBP, and it is so much lighter and more portable.

10. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Thumbs down. It doesn't do anything better than any other computer, and you end up with a mediocre experience - the single exception being those of us who find a MacBook air to be back-breakingly heavy, but the MacBook to be light enough, and don't care about ports, battery life, or keyboard travel.

11. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

thumbs up...with a caveat. if you're doing pro audio, or video editing, or any cpu-intensive work, the pro is a better choice.

but i keep playing with it in the applestore, and love the design...

12. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Both thumbs up.

I haven't posted here in forever but have been following since I bought a 1.2/512.

In 2003, I bought the 12" PowerBook G4. At the time, that was the best computer I ever purchased. This has now supplanted that machine as the #1. There's something about the 12" formfactor that just can't be beat, and in comparison to my 2013 rMBP 13", this computer feels as light as air.

That said, if you are doing any real power tasks - mass batch photo edits, FCP, gaming, etc - this is not the machine for you. At the time I had the 12" PowerBook, I also had a PowerMac G5 tower.

This is really a "support" machine for the lighter day to day tasks that frankly 90% of people are doing. I can seriously say I do about everything I do on my rMBP 13" on this, but I'll probably keep the rMBP around for when I do need to heavier photo edits or music mixing, but for 90% of the normal tasks I do regularly, this machine does it better than any other.

13. Gofre macrumors regular

Thumbs down from me. I was debating between the MB and rMBP, and it took about five minutes of demo time for me to realise I really didn't like the keyboard. From what I've read in reviews I'm supposedly in the minority here, but I personally did not find the usage experience anywhere nearly as pleasant as the traditional MBP keyboard, which is a bit of a critical factor for me. Aside from that the sheer thinness of the machine couldn't justify the loss of power and loss of ports compared to the rMBP I was able to pick up for virtually the same price with the same storage capacity.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who disagree with me and the MacBook is much better suited for them, but that's just me :)

14. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I don't really subscribe to this "avoid the first generation of any Apple product" notion. However, in this case it applies because version 2 will inevitably include another port and will be based on Skylake architecture which will include a much better CPU in terms of performance, power efficiency and other Skylake technologies (wireless charging a possibility, which in theory would make 1 port almost acceptable).

The Core-M was originally designed for tablets and hybrid devices. Whilst it does a reasonable job of running OS X at the present time, I wouldn't expect this mediocre processor to cope with a more demanding OS and applications in the future as it just about copes with today's software. Having said that, if all you want this machine for is as a secondary device for basic tasks then it's an able machine. For now.

I don't think it's a sensible purchase right now as there's far too many compromises. Version 2 on the other hand could be a game changer.

15. bibyfok macrumors 6502

bibyfok

Thumbs Up !

Funny enought: We I do benchmark between my brand new MB12 and my MBPr13 Early 2013 with the same programs runnings, I get almost the same scores.
    The reason: My MB has got the clean install treatment and the MBPr13 has a 4 years old MacOS install/upgraded/betaed etc.

I also regain 40Gb of space after reinstalling everything identically. (maybe caches + Mail database etc..)

16. dhc921 macrumors newbie

I agree with you 100%. Returned mine after 2 weeks and love my rMPB 13 even more.

17. Banquo's Ghost macrumors newbie

There have been a couple of milestones in my 'computer life' and like you, the 12" Powerbook was one of them. The second was the launch of the MacBook Air.

My MacBook SG 1.2 512 has now joined these as an astonishing step forward. My use case is running a business from many different international loci. I need good word processing, research facilities (the internet), spreadsheets and email. The lighter the computer the better.

I am replacing a MacBook Air 11". The screen alone is such a huge step forward (even though I had no issue with the Air's screen, this one is utterly perfect in size and clarity). Using an 11" I have long had good methodology/apps for utilising Spaces, rather than space on screen.

The keyboard suits my style too. Faster, while still with good feedback. Having tried the iPad as a light replacement, for me it is still impossible to generate good content and analysis in any quantity on a virtual keyboard, or on iOS. The iPad is a consumer machine in this respect.

I have no need for ports. I set up this MacBook from scratch: apps from the App Store, downloaded my entertainment needs from my iTunes account, photos and documents from iCloud and off I went. No need for the SuperDrive or any USB sticks.

On a flight last night, the ease of use was ideal. I could type fast, and review finance sheets easily with limited scrolling because of the screen size. I still flip easily between Spaces, which I have always found far more efficient than having a big screen with documents next to one another. (One supposes a 27" iMac would be easier in this regard, but perhaps not to carry through customs. :) ) The size is perfect for working in the confined spaces of a plane seat (caveat: I travel business class, so this may be less true if you're in cattle).

On pure aesthetics, the space grey is gorgeous. Working at night far above the world, stars outside the window, on Ulysses dark mode, with just the screen and beautifully lit keyboard focusses the mind wonderfully, and is rather too sensuous for one's own peace of mind. :eek:

For me, it is a lovely, lovely machine right now. If it improves in the future, as it surely will, even better.

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Thumbs down for me. We are having to sacrifice ports and computing power because Apple insists on making their devices thinner and thinner.

19. jeffg819 macrumors regular

There is an Apple laptop for every user. Apple is not forcing anyone to do anything. I like that Apple "insists" on pushing the edge of design. Had my share of computers where the driving forces behind the engineering was cost, cost, and cost. I spend way too much time on a computer, and life is too short, to use crap.

----------

Today, this moment, as I sit here typing, a big thumbs up for the rMB for the computing context for which its designed. Many are right when they say future models will have a faster processor or more battery life, etc., but until then I get to use this machine and enjoy it for what it is right now.

What is that worth? Depends entirely on the individual.

20. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

My thought as well. It's a fantastically designed machine and it's absolutely amazing how thin and light they made it. But it's a supplementary machine at best. Too many compromises.

21. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

From what I've tried out, I'm gonna have to give it a thumbs down. I found the keyboard to be really nice and I like the form factor, but the single USB-C port, price and lack of any expandability don't do it for me.

22. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Why do some think the next one will have another port? Unless they remove the headphone jack there's no room for it. The single port on the current model starts right after the keyboard ends, I assume there can't be a port in that area because it's so thing. Plus there's no way they're putting a port on the back hinge section as that's ugly.

23. holycat macrumors member

Thumbs down.

Returning my 1.3 Silver 512gb.

Its computing performance is much lower compared to my 13 inch MBA 2013.

24. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Comments like these make zero sense to me.

The WHOLE point of the machine is portability above all else, if you don't value this then the machine was never made for you.

You're criticizing an ultraportable for doing exactly what it was meant for... being ultraportable. Get a MBP.