Macbook--To Wait Or Not To Wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Thrawn, Dec 15, 2007.

  1. Thrawn macrumors member

    Oct 16, 2007
    Hey everyone,

    I'm a freshman in high school and I had a question. My dad just told me that he would give me $400 (1300 in total) to help me buy a macbook as a Christmas present. I'm very eager to buy a macbook, but I heard about the rumor floating around of aluminum macbooks. I would definitely prefer aluminum casing, considering I dislike the white plastic a lot (!), but if this rumor turns out to be untrue, I (1.) won't have the macbook for my week-long family reunion, that I would like a laptop for, and (2.) I will have wasted a month without the laptop I've been saving up for. What should I do, wait or buy now?

  2. caj macrumors member


    Aug 16, 2007
    Illinois, United States
    waaaaaaaaaiiiitt duuuude! i'm a sophomore in high school and I am waiting. it's gonna be awesome!

  3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Dec 6, 2007
    Keep waiting. Apple is sure to update the Macbook with Macbook Pro technology and offer it at baseline Macbook prices. You've just got to keep waiting. They're going to invert their entire business model and fulfill the fantasies of every person who's chosen to ignore the buyer's guide on Macforums if you Just Keep Waiting. We're almost there. Just a few more months before that super Macbook!
  4. jeff3221 macrumors regular

    Nov 14, 2007
    I got mine a week ago and I have never turned back. The macbooks were just updated, and it is unlikely that another one will come out soon. If there is a new thin macbook, it will probably be a pro because apple can get away with making more money. Rumors have also shone that it won't have an optical drive or a hard drive. How practical is that? I say go for it.
  5. Thrawn thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 16, 2007
    I'm guessing that was a sarcastic comment(?). Anyways, thanks everyone for the opinions, but keep posting them because I'm still not quite sure. And, yes, gun-metal would be freakin' awesome!
  6. jeff3221 macrumors regular

    Nov 14, 2007
    I don't get your sig: macbook savings 850-450 to go. Explain that to me
  7. Thrawn thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 16, 2007
    I haven't had the time to update it. I had $850 saved up to buy a macbook, and I needed 450 more to buy the macbook I wanted.
  8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030


    Jul 13, 2007
    MD & ATL,GA
    just wait until the 17th to be confirmed, then check the buyer's guide if a new one didnt come out
  9. Ensoniq macrumors regular

    Jul 16, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    I'm another potential MacBook buyer who was ready to go after the recent Santa Rosa refresh (x3100 graphics) until I heard the "sub-notebook" rumors.

    To me, I think it's going to be a Pro, not the consumer MacBook. Otherwise, why would Apple have just released the x3100 MacBook? I think a number of people here are dreaming that it's going to be the consumer version.

    However...with January 18th fairly close, I think it would be prudent to wait...I'd hate to be wrong. :)
  10. atl27426 macrumors member

    Nov 7, 2007
    The rumors have been the price point is going to be 1500.00 there is no way we will see a pro model at that price. Also ultra compacts are not made for performance, the cpu will be modest to save power, it will have shared graphics to save power, its all about saving power and size. You don't get a powerhouse in a ultra portable.
  11. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a


    Oct 29, 2007
    the 13 colonies
    Wait. We are now only one month have nothing to lose but 1 month of your life without a new Mac toy. Just wait and see what Jobs has in store--if they don't touch the Macbook and just release updated MBP's or some ridiculously underpowered subnotebook that doesn't fit your needs then you can go right ahead and buy yourself a brand new Macbook--if on the other hand, they release a 13 inch MBP, or a new line of Macbooks that are redesigned then you gain a whole lot by waiting a month. It's not exactly a win-win because you lose a month if they don't come out with something you want, but it's pretty damn close to win-win for your situation.:)
  12. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    I know MW08 is only a month (actually less) away, but I honestly don't see the macbooks getting anything. They just recently got Santa Rosa, and any more updates to them would simply cannibalize mbp sales.

    All of the rumors have been floating around the new ultra portable, or potential 13" mbp. Let's explore both possibilities, and you'll see why simply buying the macbook now is your best bet.

    The first possibility is that the rumored notebook is an ultra portable macbook/pro that has good battery life, weighs 3lbs, has a small (12 or 11") screen, and lacks an optical drive. It will also use the specialized line of Intel processors, not the standard SR chips that are in the current macbook/pro. Chances are, OP, you will not want this product. If this is to be "your" computer, you will need the optical drive, the larger screen when you're at home, etc. The price will also be a restrictive factor for you. If this ultra portable is indeed as good as we all hope it is, you can bet it isn't going to be anywhere in the neighborhood of $1300. I'd bet that it starts at $1800 and is likely to be even higher (maybe the base could be $2000?). This clearly isn't for you, so now let's consider the 13" macbook pro.

    Should the 13" macbook pro come out, and this would be the best you could hope for, as you don't like the white plastic of the current macbook, I think you'll find it outside of your price range once again. Like the 12" Powerbook before it, this hypothetical mbp will not attempt to compete in price with a consumer line macbook. Rather, this hypothetical 13" macbook pro will have attributes that are currently absent from the macbooks of today, and there will be a premium for these advantages. I'd wager that if such a notebook is coming, it will have a base price of at least $1700 (again, likely higher). Once again, this is not in your neighborhood. Furthermore, you probably wouldn't benefit from the additional technological advantages afforded by a mbp, as a freshman in high school hardly has any important business to attend to. ;)

    Possibility 3: No updates involving a smaller mbp arise, and we are left with the same spread of 13.3, 15.4 and 17 that we have now. I think this is highly likely, and to be sure, it stresses the point: there's no sense in waiting for you. I know that there's the sense of not wanting to be left behind, but the odds are simply stacked against your particular price range. If you were shopping for a macbook pro, I'd have the opposite advice for you, as these are bound to see an update early next year. However, with the macbooks so recently upgraded, I doubt we're going to see a change for at least another 5 months.

    PS: Consider yourself one lucky kid to be getting a personal laptop in the 9th grade. What is it with you kids and needing the latest stuff before you even have any real need for it?:rolleyes::confused:
  13. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

    Mad Mac Maniac

    Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    don't wait. Buy now, seriously.

    I'm just going to re-emphasize what has already been stated. The macbooks were JUST updated, so there's no way they are about to refresh the whole line. That will wait untill next summer.

    There may be some new laptop that gets released in January (although I doubt it will be out till February) but from the looks of it, it won't be a macbook, or even a macbook pro for that matter. It will be interesting to see where Apple will classify it. It'll be a subnotebook, or a macbook mini if you will. The only purpose of the new notebook will be for portability. It will have less power and worse battery life. It's not something you would want to buy just for the aluminium casing... You would only get it if you needed ultra-portability.

    The MBPs need a refresh so they will be updated before the MBs do. We may see an update for them at the same time the subnotebook is released, possibly incorporating the "something strange with the touchpad" that is expected to be on the subnotebook.

    Now the biggest reason I urge you not to buy. You are about to be a PC to Mac convert yes? If so then I suggest just go ahead and jump in now. It's a great time, new OS and line just refreshed. You will ALWAYS be able to come up with reasons to not make the switch. It's just one of those leaps which is so easy to put off. Make the plunge now. Even if they create the laptop of your dreams in a couple months at least you still had a couple extra months on your dream machine.

    Don't put off finally getting a Mac just because of some rumors. If that's how you live you will be waiting a long time...
  14. Quillz macrumors 65816


    Jan 6, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree. Though I'd love to wait, at the end of day, what if all these rumors are wrong? Then you've waited for nothing. The MacBooks that are available now are very, very nice machines. You get a really fast processor, a fairly good X3100, as well as good battery life, OS X Leopard and a sharp display.
  15. Towhead macrumors regular

    Nov 3, 2007

    But if you can't, get the black one!

    You can, of course, have it painted to any colour you like!
  16. emptyCup macrumors 65816


    Jan 5, 2005
    You need to weigh the disappointment you would feel if the Macbook is updated in January against the disappointment of not having a machine for your family reunion. If you think the current Macbook is worth buying, buy it. If you really hate white, look at the colored Speck See-thru Cases.
  17. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

    Apr 27, 2007
    I'm sure they will at least update the screen.

    People were probably getting these new ultra portable aptops confused with a macbook update
  18. jeff3221 macrumors regular

    Nov 14, 2007
    i am in 9th grade now.. and I say there is a great need for a personal computer, SCHOOL. I also don't see any problem if you earn it or you spend your own money. I got my first desktop as a bar mitzvah present and I got my macbook last week with 700 of my own money. BTW I personally don't know anyone my age without a computer. Go ahead, say all 15 year olds are spoiled.
  19. CalBoy macrumors 604


    May 21, 2007
    I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty in this world who are not.;)

    I'll say that all you lot are spoiled. ;):p
  20. Thrawn thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 16, 2007
    Thanks, Guys. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna take the jump and go out and buy one unless I'm convinced otherwise. If a new macbook comes out, all of you will be blamed for the mistake;) jk. Thanks again, guys!
  21. iTiki macrumors 6502

    Feb 9, 2007
    Maui, Hawaii
    Don't forget the student discount. They gave me the discount for my son's computer even though he is still in high school. Maybe use that $100 savings for some aftermarket ram.

    Enjoy your new "toy". I think every student should own or at least have access to one.

  22. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

    Jul 17, 2007
    I would go for buying it from a place that does not charge tax. Places such as Mac Connection or Macmall. They offer the same discount but no tax.
  23. jeff3221 macrumors regular

    Nov 14, 2007
    Even if they do come out with a new one, its not like the old ones will suddenly stop working... life is too short too wait just buy now and be glad you did
  24. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

    Jul 21, 2007
    I thought Student Discounts only applied to college students? explain this to me please
  25. iMan G5 macrumors member

    Oct 10, 2007
    It applys to any teacher or student. Any teacher K+ has the discount but I think for students, you need to be high school +.

Share This Page