Macbook tomorrow! yea yea yea!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Beowulf666, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Beowulf666 macrumors regular

Beowulf666

So i'm finally going to get my macbook tomorrow. I thought about waiting till Hanuary, but the mac's now really fit my budget, and if something new comes out, either it will be too expensive, or something that i don't need. So anywho, i'll be getting my macbook tomorrow, and I can't decide whether or not I should buy it online from apple's site, or going down to the nearest best buy. What do you guys think? If I buy online, i get the student discount, but won't I have to ship the computer to them if something happens to it? I don't think there's an apple store in Calgary, Alberta (someone correct me if i'm wrong). If i get it from best buy, I can return it to them if something happens and have them fix it....right? and the plus is that I can get it right away, so minus the waiting. What do you guys think? This is my first Mac purchase so I'm really not too sure about everything. Thanks for any input guys.

2. je1ani macrumors 6502

If something new comes out you'd probably see a decent price drop in what you just bought. :confused:

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I disagree. The existing MacBook models are not going to be updated anytime soon. They were just updated in November. There may be a sub-notebook laptop coming at Macworld Expo... but this seems like it will be an entirely new product and won't displace any of the current MacBooks or discount them.

Just be sure to read this
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/17/apple-store-shipping-dates-and-buyers-guide-recommendations/

Specifically:
    The original poster seems certain the ultraportable will not affect his purchasing decision, so might as well get the MacBook now.

arn

4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Unlikely. Apple prices don't drop; models just get removed from the lineup. If the "something new means cheaper prices" idea held up, the original MBPs would be going for $800 at the Apple Store. Not going to happen, never will. Buy now or buy later; something newer's always going to be just around the corner. Let that stop you, and you'll never buy a computer again.

5. je1ani macrumors 6502

I'm speaking in terms of ebay and local ads ie craigslist. The 2.16 MBPs I have seen drop to $1200-1500 due to the faster 2.2 SR platform. Of course Apple won't drop their prices.

6. Beowulf666 thread starter macrumors regular

Beowulf666

by the way, is it true that after macworld, all new laptops will ship with ilife'07?

7. BenJolene macrumors newbie

I hope not; they all currently ship with iLife '08.

8. Beowulf666 thread starter macrumors regular

Beowulf666

lol, i read it in a forum....guess it must have been really old....and i forgot to check the date...lol sorry.

9. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

There is no iLife 07. iLife 06 then iLife 08. And I'm quite certain it already comes with new Macs.

10. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

may i know what's your MB specs?

and if i were you, i would wait till jan 15th just for the Penryn ;)

11. wildwizard99200 macrumors member

I know that the MBP are likely to get the Penryn, but are the macbooks? I figured they would do something like they did last year where the SR came to MBP first then the MB in November.

12. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Indeed - MacBooks will not move to Penryn in January when they only moved to SR 6-7 weeks ago. To think they would is a bit silly.

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Yea, it'll take a while until MacBook line sees another refresh.

14. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Good choice. Even if Apple does release a new MacBook in January, I'd still recommend getting the current model because most of the bugs have been ironed out, whereas with a new model you'd somewhat be beta testing for them.

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand the people that rush out to be the first to get the first iteration of something.

16. wildwizard99200 macrumors member

What about some other upgrade instead of a processor? Say...an LCD screen? What are the con/pros of an LCD compared to the current macbook screen (p.s. im in the market to buy a macbook if you couldn't tell x.x)

17. crazydrumma macrumors regular

I agree with purchasing the current macbook. That's the exact thing that I did, I'm simply waiting for the computer to get here. The new macbooks are really powerful for how portable they are, they only weigh 5 pounds, and they are sexy as all get out. I don't understand those that think the macbooks are looking old. Good luck with the new computer!

18. Surely Guest

Surely

I went from an iBook G4 to the MacBook I have now (see below). I couldn't be happier with the screen. It's very bright and sharp.
    When I put it next to the iBook, it looks like the iBook is dimmed almost all the way down, even though it's as bright as it can be.