MacBook Troubles - Urgent!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Stuipdboy1000, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Stuipdboy1000 macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Hi there. I have a late 2006 macBook which iI have used almost every day since I have got it and I am attached. Now, The problem. I woke up this morning and turned it on. I didn't see the screen light up or hear the trusty 'bong' noise. So I thought nothing of it and tried booting up again. Still nothing. I have been trying constantly for the past few hours trying to get it to work. The main problem seems to be nothing appears on the screenand is not functional at all.

Your help would be much appreciated,
    Sam

2. svndmvn Guest

the bong is there to tell you the hardware test is passed..so I guess something's not ok..
    does anything happen? at all?the sleep light? can you hear the cd drive? the hd moving? is the battery ok?take it out and put it back in..
    Could be the board

3. Stuipdboy1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

The sleep light comes on and stays solid. I can hear the CD that is stuck in the drive spinning. The hard drive is moving and I have taken out the battery several times. I am going to Glasgow on Thursday so do you think it would be worth taking it into the Apple store there and seeing what the geniuses say?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Possible hardware failure. Don't worry, if you don't hear the "bong" sound its because hardware test fails and therefore your initial attempt to go to the Apple Store is fine. I think they may replace it, I think, I may not be 100% sure.

Now, all of this is assuming everything happens as you described it. Remember, while we are at sleep surges go through the sockets and may have damaged your baby.

5. Stuipdboy1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Dang. I'm having the worst luck ever this month. First my External Hard Drive dies, the my camcorder breaks and now this. If they do fix it I will be over the moon, but if they have to replace it, do you think they would take out my hard drive and put it in the new one, because i have a lot of video files I need on it and I can't back up because my replacement hard drive still ain't here.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I am speculating you will get replacement, it is not something certain. Either way, Apple Genius can swap out your HDD with no hitch.

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

No he won't. If he doesn't have Applecare he won't even get it fixed without paying out of his own pocket.

8. svndmvn Guest

do you have apple care? the 1 year warranty is over, they will fix it, no exchanges, even if it's the board
    I'd suggest accessing the hard drive in an external case from another computer,cloning wouldn't be a bad idea..
    too bad you have a CD in there.
    did you put it to sleep the last time you used it? or did you shut it down correctly?
    you know there are softwares for mac like disk warrior that allows to recover most of your data from broken HDDs,have you tried any with your old external one?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That why I am saying he might, notice the might and speculating words I used, they mean I am not sure of or I an doubtful.

10. Stuipdboy1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Unfortunately I do not have AppleCare. Well I switched it off last night as I usually do and when I tried to switch it on this morning I just get the problems I have been reporting. I am still trying to fix it now with no results whatsoever.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Even if he has Applecare they will only fix the problem which is the hard drive. It will take only a few minutes to fix it (if that is the problem which it sounds like it is).

12. svndmvn Guest

if it is the hard drive and there is no way you can boot from one of your ipods or somebody's computer.
    reboot holding the powerbutton for 5 seconds and hold the mouse button while restarting, if you have a wired one, or the trackpad's button, or the eject key to eject the cd and next thing i'd try would be restarting from your Leopard or whatever Mac OS cd/dvd

13. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Hold down the trackpad button as you turn it on and hold it down until it spits your CD out. Will it boot now? Will it boot from the OS CD? Will it even spit out the CD?

This doesn't sound like a hard drive problem to me. A bad hard drive generally results in a blinking question mark, not what the OP is describing.

14. morespce54 macrumors 65816

morespce54

I'm sure you did that already but make sure to try to start the machine while plugged into the wall. My sister's MB had a similar problem (where the screen would stay dark and no chime) but she did that and, after a long weird "waking up from sleep" state progress bar (which shows the desktop background in gray scale a-la-XP), then everything was golden.

15. Stuipdboy1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

I have had mine plugged into the wall and powered up for about 15-20 minutes now and still nothing. How long did this process take can you remember?

16. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

This happened to me on a Core Duo Blackbook, and I ended up with a new logic board and top case via AppleCare. When broken the machine was basically a big fat dud, but the sleep light would come on and I could hear the fans starting up.

17. Stuipdboy1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

How much would it cost roughly to get a replacement logic board (bearing in mind I don't have AppleCare)?

18. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Apple price will be around £420 (incl VAT) for the logicboard. Plus labour £65 (plus VAT)..

It is not really economical to fix..........

19. socorose macrumors newbie

:-(

I know this isn't actually helpful to you, but I just wanted to say sorry that your electronics have all kind of failed you recently...it always seems like when the electronics gods are on your side, they're really on your side, but when they're against you, they really F up everything...

I hope it all works out and that your computer can get fixed. It sucks sometimes when we realize how much electronics and computers effect our lives..

Best of luck!

20. Stuipdboy1000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stuipdboy1000

Well, I took I to a genius at the Apple store yesterday and within 10 minutes he had found the problem and fixed it free of charge. There was a connector loose somewhere he said.

21. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

That's wonderful. I am happy for you, and good for Apple for taking care of their customers.

22. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Well done - the Glasgow AppleStore are very good - still trying to imagine which connector could have come loose !!