Macbook Unibody CPU fans don't turn on!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jadamcyk, Nov 10, 2009.

1. jadamcyk macrumors newbie

I need some advice,

I have a late 2009 Macbook Unibody that get extremely hot. From using SMCFanControl it tells me it's at 80-90 degrees celcius which to me is extremely hot. The fans also do not kick in at all when it gets at this level. When using skype, it skyrockets over 100 degrees celcius which causes my computer to slow down.

Is anyone else having this issue? Do you think it's a hardware malfunction? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

80-90c is warm, but still well within the CPU's normal operating temps. What RPM are the fans running at?

If they're not ramping up at all (MBP's normal is 2000; I think the MB is the same), try resetting the SMC controller. See: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

3. jadamcyk thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! i reset it and blew out some of the dust that was stuck in my fan so now its working. :)

4. sinophilia macrumors regular

sinophilia

How come you got dust in your fan in just a few days?

I have a similar problem with my late 2009 Macbook, only the fan is stuck at 2000 rpm (which may be the idling speed) even when the CPU reaches 90°C and beyond. I brought it to the Apple Reseller and they asked me to run the hardware test... said they were going to call Apple and check with them. The fan noise is extremely low, my only concern is I don't want to fry the CPU.

5. jaredelguay macrumors newbie

jaredelguay

Let me know what they say. I seem to be having the same issue with my 2009 Macbook Pro. I can't seem to get a straight answer about when the fans should speed up to deal with the temperature.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

On my 2ghz Unibody, the fans start to ramp up from 2000rpm ~65-68C CPU temperature or so.

7. jaredelguay macrumors newbie

jaredelguay

Curious. I posted about my problem here. When I push the CPU to raise the temperature, my fans don't ramp up until I reach 90-100C.

8. sinophilia macrumors regular

sinophilia

I went to my Apple Reseller and in the end it seems that the Macbook is working fine like this.
    My fan works - I ran an extended hardware test (no trouble found) and it finally started to spin up to 2,700 rpm, than after restart it soon went back to 2,000. To make it go faster (by 40 or 60 rpm only!) I had to keep the CPU at 95°C for more than ten minutes. The factor that affects the fan behavior the most seems to be the heatsink temp - it has to be over 70°C for my fan to spin faster.

I will keep an eye on the little white guy and try to enjoy the silence...

9. jaredelguay macrumors newbie

jaredelguay

Seems reasonable, I guess, since the fan would be drawing the air out of the heatsink. So If the heatsink isn't hot, then there is no heat to draw out of the computer.

10. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

On the flip side though, the CPU core temp is sky high. That suggests poor contact of the core with the heatsink-->poor thermal paste application/over-application...which used to be an issue with some of the MacBooks

11. jaredelguay macrumors newbie

jaredelguay

Also reasonable. I'm trying to decide if it's worth sending in while it's still under warranty and have it checked out.

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I most definitely would. IMO heat is one of the biggest enemies of computer hardware in terms of early failure (other than external liquid type issues).

13. jadamcyk thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no clue, when i opened it up there was a ton there... I installed smcfancontrol and now i can control the fan speeds, i have it at a constant 4500rpm to keep the temperature down.. im not sure if keeping the fan high always will do any damage though, probably not though. if yours is getting as high as 90 and above you shoudl definitely download this software. good luck!

14. sinophilia macrumors regular

sinophilia

I must say that I was only able to bring the CPU to over 90 degrees by opening lots of apps and running two HD videos on Youtube at the same time... so if during normal use it stays around 60-70°C with the fan spinning at 2000 rpm everything should be fine. I'm not a fan of fan noise :p and 4500 rpm sounds pretty noisy to me. I had a 12" Powerbook before and I hated that fan...

15. jaredelguay macrumors newbie

jaredelguay

I've decided to just bite the bullet and take mine in. Between this and the annoying buzz that comes out of the left side of the machine, I think it's worth looking into. I'm still under warranty and we have an authorized service provider here.

Wish me luck!

16. jaredelguay macrumors newbie

jaredelguay

Got my Macbook Pro back and they insist there is no problem to be found. I'm not satisfied, though. The fans shouldn't stay at 2000 rpm when the CPU is at 90C!