Macbook (unibody) Graphic error , super strange windows 7

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by finnschi, Dec 30, 2008.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

So I guess I found a leak in the way how the macbook treats old memory still on the chip!

I have the Newest macbook late 2008 Unibody 2,4 Ghz... 2gb Ram and a 320Gb HDD

so I was just booting up my Windows 7 Beta using Bootcamp (works great btw) to play some Command and conquer Red Alert 3 !(awesome Game! :D)

So i was playing for about 2 Hours, than reeboting into OSX, after another 30 minutes I fired up Halo (universal) and what did I see? my whole screen FULL of some parts of the start screen :confused: from C&C RA3 and after some more screen flashing I actually saw a whole Ingame "screenshot" from the mission i finished last!

So how did this happen?? I am confused because my Leopard is on a different partition then Windows7 and the Video memory should have been cleared? no? :eek:

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Try another reboot. If that doesn't help try shutting down completely then turning back on after a few minutes. If that doesn't do it, try AppleCare.

3. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

First Thank you for the VERY fast reply!

Well its not a big issue for me.. i just wondered how anything like that Could happen! If anyone has a clue on how the video memory is not cleared up and is beign adress wrong(by Halo) ... please explain it ;) :apple:

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No problem. I don't know how in the world your previous screen was not cleared out. I can only assumed/guess it has something to do with your graphics chip not properly clearing out cache because of a small error.

I also think it may be a LCD image memory related thing. (example, when you look at a light for a moment and look away, you still see the light's silhouette.) Maybe, your LCD didn't clear out the previous image.

Those are my guesses.

5. finnschi thread starter macrumors 6502

Well Good guess, but I dont think my Grapics cards cache is used for that, that kind of information goes directly to the RAM(which is shared with main Ram ...)

Neither that, the LCD can't save images , since it simply doesen't have memory :cool:

Btw i tried starting Halo once again, no error this time! One Hit wonder...