Macbook Unibody HDD Upgrade

Insomnica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Manchester, UK
Hey MR,

I've got a concern about my investment in a 1TB drive for my unibody Macbook (2010, 2.4GHz, 13.3").

I read a guide somewhere on here, which I can't seem to find now, in which it said my Macbook can take a 12.5mm drive.

So my question is, could my Macbook take the drive below?
I just wanted to make double-double-double sure before I put down £70 on this drive. :p

Samsung Spinpoint MT2 on Scan.co.uk

Last edited:

Insomnica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Manchester, UK
Just want to post a follow-up for anyone who comes and finds this in the future:

The above 12.5mm fits in perfectly, without any hacking at the internals.
The only slight problem is that it's a little bit noiser than the stock, but it's drowned out with ambient noise. Only noticeable in complete silence.

Screenshot from Sys Profiler and Disk Utility:

_bgb

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
London
Just want to post a follow-up for anyone who comes and finds this in the future:

The above 12.5mm fits in perfectly, without any hacking at the internals.
The only slight problem is that it's a little bit noiser than the stock, but it's drowned out with ambient noise. Only noticeable in complete silence.

Screenshot from Sys Profiler and Disk Utility:
Hello fella,

Signed up just so I could ask you a question as this is exactly what I've been looking at! One question, how has the speed of your machine handled a 1TB drive? i was sceptical at wacking in such a big drive.. always thought id read some where they couldn't handle it?

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Hello fella,

Signed up just so I could ask you a question as this is exactly what I've been looking at! One question, how has the speed of your machine handled a 1TB drive? i was sceptical at wacking in such a big drive.. always thought id read some where they couldn't handle it?
Speed has nothing to do with how large a drive the computer can handle.

Insomnica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2010
Manchester, UK
Hello fella,

I get what you're saying, I guess you're referring to disk access speeds?

Been pretty cool so far, no latency beyond a little bit when I loaded up Firefox after Time Machining my machine back to how it was, but that appears to have disappeared now.

I'll attach a quick graph from Activity Monitor, but i'm not sure how to gauge disk performance in OSX. :)

In the dock: XCode, Firefox, Finder, Adium, iTunes, Twitter, Activity Manage, Interface Builder.

_bgb

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
London
I get what you're saying, I guess you're referring to disk access speeds?

Been pretty cool so far, no latency beyond a little bit when I loaded up Firefox after Time Machining my machine back to how it was, but that appears to have disappeared now.

I'll attach a quick graph from Activity Monitor, but i'm not sure how to gauge disk performance in OSX. :)

In the dock: XCode, Firefox, Finder, Adium, iTunes, Twitter, Activity Manage, Interface Builder.

cheers for the info! hope to join your spec soon haha ;)

_bgb

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
London
we all agreed that a LATE 2009 WHITE MACBOOK UNIBODY can take this drive.. i know that the dude installed it in his, but his is a 2010 so just checking before i purchase :)

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Any unibody apple laptop can use a 1TB drive. The only models bigger will not fit currently as they are too thick. There is no hardware limitation on drive size that you need to worry about.