MacBook users, did you buy Apple Care?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ctruon1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. ctruon1 macrumors newbie

I just got my MBP a month a go, and this is my first Mac. I'm really iffy if I should buy Apple Care - its $250 and I honestly don't think I could afford it and its only 2 years. My friend who got his black Macbook in 2008 still has it and is working just fine and did not buy Applecare. He told me that through that 1 year warranty, if my MBP has a malfunction, it will most likely have more in the future but if it doesn't have any than it will mostly survive beyond 3+ years, he also said that defects will always appear within the first year of the computer. However, when I read things online, people that they are so thankful that they bought it because it paid for itself, like the motherboard was broken and if you didn't have applecare it would have been a $1000 fix....etc. What I want to know is if you didn't buy it, did it have a good or bad outcome and do you regret not buying it.

2. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

No.
    I take super good care of my stuff and from my experience, most problems occur within the first year.
    I can't think of a hardware issue that I can't fix myself so the only issue is parts and I'm willing to take that chance....but that's just me. Others might not be able to repair stuff themselves....it depends on you.

3. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

There's definitely no right or wrong answer here. I know plenty of people who have had no problems with their apple laptops for 6+ years -- but I also know somebody who's logic board failed suddenly and was outside of AppleCare.

Personally, I always buy it for my laptops just in case. For my rMBP it's a no-brainer because of how un-servicable it is.

In the end, you have to ask yourself...save $250 and deal with the risk of component failure outside of warranty with a hefty fee, or the peace of mind that comes with that cost. Again, there's really no right answer here...

Good luck!

4. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

I buy apple care for my macs never idevices. I tend to keep computers about 3 years but devices I literally upgrade every year so no point. This is just how I do though everyone is different

5. Tharian macrumors regular

Always. And then I sell the computer at year 2.5 and put the proceeds towards a new Mac.

That way I am always under warranty and also getting roughly 1/2 off a new machine every 2.5 years.

-d

6. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Agree with this, even though I usually use my computers for 5-6 years before replacing them. However, I will admit to purchasing all my Apple gear with my American Express card, because it offers a 1 year warranty extension on all purchases (and 90 day accident insurance), just in case.

Usually, proper care and vigilance will be enough to protect your stuff. Unfortunately, there are wildly different definitions of proper care and vigilance.

7. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I wait until 10 or 11 months after purchase to decide if I want/need Apple Care.

8. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

no, i got extended manufacture warranty as a complimentary from american express. good for an aditional year. also, i'm an enthusiast/junky, i'm comfortable with handling software codes and as well as hardware, plus i get new computer toys to play with seasonally, or sometimes twice a season, out of pocket! so my needs for warranty is almost nonexistence.

cheers

9. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

10. hawon macrumors member

My first macbook died after 2.5 yes. Apple care would fixed it but I wasn't willing to pay $450 repair to replace the board. My 2009 c2d mbp lasted me lasted another 2.5 years but I replaced mainboard 5 times and got money back after that via ABT coverage.

To me the way I use, I definitely benefited and got another ABT coverage for rMBP

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

12. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

13. *Sonic* macrumors newbie

It was a no brainer for me

Education prices its £50 more for 3 year cover

I would have been an utter fool not to take it out, if anything purely for peace of mind

14. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

For a 15" in Australia it costs $429 and for a 13" $299. For the 13" and 15" I bought at the same time, at $728 or around $750+ US, it is just too expensive.

You could argue that if anything was going to go wrong from a manufacturing defect it would happen in the first 12 months and if it happened in the second year, you have a strong case to have it repaired under consumer statutory warranty. Also it could be argued that a laptop over two years old is close to being redundundant anyway.

Another thing to consider is that Apple can reject a claim for any arbitrary whim, without having to provide reasonable evidence. I personally wouldn't trust the objectivity of the typical apple technician or their repair skills for that matter.

15. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

That is a benefit that a lot of people might not even be aware of. Many credit cards will effectively double the warranty period for any electronics that you buy using that card. The claims process is probably a bit more of a hassle though.

16. Snarl macrumors member

No, at least not yet (New Macbook Pro few weeks) however as I understand I have almost a year to decide so I'm still mulling it over.

17. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I definitely purchased apple care for our two rMBPs. I want support both at home and on the road when we are on trips, somethings outside North America. I purchased apple care from B&H which seems to be the cheapest source in the States. No point paying Apple more for the same product.

We will like go for new machines at the end of Apple Care.

18. rrm998 macrumors regular

rrm998

This was my first Mac so I wanted to be able to call Apple to get support. I always had the 3 year warranty on my Dell computers so I'm used to it.

So far I've had to call Apple once. Ultimately I found a solution online before they found an answer -- which I'm pretty sure was going to be "reload OS X." The solution I found was a simple console command.

19. Liquinn Suspended

I've had my 13" MBP for almost 6 months now. No problems.

Applecare for that machine is 200 UK pounds, so a fith of the price.

Is it worth buying?

I guess it'd slightly help if I decide to sell the machine on perhaps.

20. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

No, apple has to much nonsense that allows them to void it. You cant even take your computer into anyplace where people smoke or its considered hazardous and they wont work on it.

21. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

So others are aware, Discover offers this. Also, if you have a Discover card if you shop Apple through shopdiscover.com you get 5% of your purchase on your Cashback Bonus balance. Got me ~$100 when I bought my 15".

22. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I tend to keep my machines a long time, so yes I bought AC.

23. kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

I did. But then I've got customers with amazing experiences with Apple regarding issues that technically weren't even covered. If you have major issues, it will be worth every penny. If you don't, it's a waste of money. That uncertainty makes it a tough call. My general rule of thumb is, if it's a mobile/portable device, buy AppleCare. If it's not, don't.

24. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not even remotely true. If you abuse your computer, sure, you void the warranty and/or AppleCare. They're very generous about that, though, overall. Don't drop/hit it or spill liquid on it, and you're usually fine.

jW

25. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Nope, if they open it up and find smoke residue inside, they consider it hazardous material, and will not work on it.