macbook- vga to cat5 converter help!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by applerocks123, Mar 26, 2011.

1. applerocks123, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

applerocks123 macrumors member

applerocks123

Hi everyone,

Im wondering if it would work if I set up my macbook mini displayport to vga then vga to cat5 then run the cat5 though the wall to my server room switch then back up to a different port in my room near my tv so I can stream my macbook to my tv Or if any of you know a good way to wirelessly stream it that would be great too.

2. gr8tfly, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

An :apple:tv might not be much different in cost than the converter. Streaming over wifi also means you won't be tied down with the wired DP connection.

3. applerocks123 thread starter macrumors member

applerocks123

tv

i wouldnt want the apple tv i would want to use the tv as an extrnal monitor without having a vga cable run across my room

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Why would you rather have cat5 than vga lead running across your room? You can pick up 20m of vga lead for £12, those vga-cat5 adaptors cost at least 5 times that.

5. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

6. realitymonkey macrumors member

I use an older version of these http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/hdmi-over-cat5-extender.html to send video from my surround sound amp (1080P fed from my mac mini) to my TV that is located in the lounge (a 35M cable run) all works superbly and have had no issues at all. (Unlike the HDMI cable I got that had drop out and sparkle effects all over it)

7. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

There are various adapters (I think they are usually referred to a 'baluns') that can be used to pass Audio/Video over a Twisted Pair Cat5/Cat6 cable. They are not typically using the UPT Cable as a network connection though. They are just using it as a cheap, easy to run direct connection between the two points. You would not be able to plug the cable into your switch - rather you would just run the cable from point A to point B and connect the baluns at each end. You often see these setups in conference rooms to connect a computer to a wall mounted TV or a ceiling mounted projector.

I know I've seen these for HDMI and Component connections. I've never seen a VGA version but I've never looked either - it seems like it should be available.

So, yes, you can use a CAT5/CAT6 cable to make a video run, but you wouldn't be involving your network equipment to do it, and it is not passing across an IP network - you're basically just making your own video cable.

8. applerocks123 thread starter macrumors member

applerocks123

Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for all the replies! i think i will run a dvi or hdmi on the baseboard of my room to my tv seems like a cheeper and easier way.