MacBook virus: Question authority, think for yourself?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edrewes, Jul 26, 2007.

1. edrewes macrumors newbie

I have a macbook that is 1 month old. About a week or two ago it started doing this thing: randomly, usually after I've been using it for an hour or so, a voice comes on and says "Question authority, think for yourself" on loop. There's no way to make it stop other than restarting. I'm not connected to any networks and no applications are running. At one point I did use some public wifi networks...when this started, though, I hadn't done that for awhile. All I've installed is Adobe Creative Suite. I also loaded some music from my computer at work, which has no problems; most of that music is purchased. I haven't downloaded any email attachments, applications or anything else that i can remember. any ideas?? I guess I'm going to just reinstall everything but don't you think that's weird?

2. kolax macrumors G3

Someone playing a joke on you - probably a friend has touched your laptop when you were away.

3. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

4. calculus Guest

calculus

Do you only hear it when you are using your macbook?

5. edrewes thread starter macrumors newbie

i think it's timothy leary

this is exactly what i have:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7z8ikMTxCc

really, i haven't had anyone over since i got this think that knows much about computers...
    i may have connected to neighbor's wifi though at one point when i was figuring out the airport card. would it have been possible to have gotten it that way?

6. kolax macrumors G3

Haha!

7. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

easy, it's Steve. Obviously somebody with more authority than yourself is wanting you to purchase a PC. Question Authority. Think for yourself. ;)

Honestly though, take it to an Apple Store just to see their face and fix the problem.

8. kolax macrumors G3

I watched the video but was too distracted by the hot chick in your desktop wallpaper to make a decision as to what is causing it.

9. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

open up the activity monitor and see if there are any suspicious processes running (with odd names or whatever)

This may help us better diagnose the problem.

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

11. funkypepper macrumors member

Do you think it is? I think it is a sensitive person who warns us against the authority that apple establishes on "us". Someone trying to wake us, for us to become more sensible against monopolistic apple, selling products with full of cracks, bugs, hardware, software problems and demanding lots of money for these..

Just ask yourself, are we doing right without questioning the authority?
    Wake up!

12. hooch macrumors member

I don't get it?

13. conflicttheory macrumors newbie

14. iBunny macrumors 65816

Post of the week.

15. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It is Timothy Leary... weird. I'd open up activity monitor and find its process and kill it. Then remember the name of the process and spotlight it and delete it.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Haha, that is great! I mean its lame for you, but I have no idea what the issue is. As stated above open up Activity Monitor and go find whatever that process is. Let us know what you find. Or is it the system sound by chance?

17. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

That is simply amazing... I'd love to know how to do something like this to a friend's MB:D:D

18. AKmac macrumors newbie

AKmac

19. edrewes thread starter macrumors newbie

i'd like to know how it got there too

i found 1 other mention of this besides that guy's youtube video on google:
    http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070706082730AA9q1Rk

I'm sure reinstalling will fix it..I'll check the activity monitor & stuff tonight & post more details if i find anything. if it's a wifi thing though that makes me really paranoid.

20. PhatBoyG macrumors regular

PhatBoyG

That user name on YouTube is the same as a user name here on MR.

21. Darkenvamp macrumors member

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

For starters, log in as another user (create one from scratch). Does it still happen?

Yes? System wide, bit harder to find.

No? Then it's only with your current user, check you Login Items for suspicious materials.

23. thfcpoole macrumors newbie

i've got it on my core duo imac. Scared the **** out of me and won't shut up. It was acting slow and weird before this for about a week anyway. What is it? How do I reinstall OSX

24. Paul3144 macrumors newbie

Can you imagine going into an Apple store and telling them "When I use my computer I hear voices."? Then when you try to show them it won't do it and they'll call the crazy home.

25. theman macrumors 6502a

On PC's they make viruses that steal all your personal information, cause BSOD's, or delete your files. But on Mac... on Mac, they are just f:apple:cking hilarious.

EDIT: Nevermind, it 4th grade, somebody put this virus on all the school PCs that came up on the 17th of each month that said. "Your name is a stupid idiot, press OK to be retarded." Now that's classic! :)