MacBook virus: Question authority, think for yourself?

edrewes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I have a macbook that is 1 month old. About a week or two ago it started doing this thing: randomly, usually after I've been using it for an hour or so, a voice comes on and says "Question authority, think for yourself" on loop. There's no way to make it stop other than restarting. I'm not connected to any networks and no applications are running. At one point I did use some public wifi networks...when this started, though, I hadn't done that for awhile. All I've installed is Adobe Creative Suite. I also loaded some music from my computer at work, which has no problems; most of that music is purchased. I haven't downloaded any email attachments, applications or anything else that i can remember. any ideas?? I guess I'm going to just reinstall everything but don't you think that's weird?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Someone playing a joke on you - probably a friend has touched your laptop when you were away.

edrewes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
i think it's timothy leary

this is exactly what i have:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7z8ikMTxCc

really, i haven't had anyone over since i got this think that knows much about computers...
i may have connected to neighbor's wifi though at one point when i was figuring out the airport card. would it have been possible to have gotten it that way?

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
easy, it's Steve. Obviously somebody with more authority than yourself is wanting you to purchase a PC. Question Authority. Think for yourself. ;)

Honestly though, take it to an Apple Store just to see their face and fix the problem.

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
open up the activity monitor and see if there are any suspicious processes running (with odd names or whatever)

This may help us better diagnose the problem.

funkypepper

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2007
easy, it's Steve. Obviously somebody with more authority than yourself is wanting you to purchase a PC. Question Authority. Think for yourself. ;)

Honestly though, take it to an Apple Store just to see their face and fix the problem.
Do you think it is? I think it is a sensitive person who warns us against the authority that apple establishes on "us". Someone trying to wake us, for us to become more sensible against monopolistic apple, selling products with full of cracks, bugs, hardware, software problems and demanding lots of money for these..

Just ask yourself, are we doing right without questioning the authority?
Wake up!

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Haha, that is great! I mean its lame for you, but I have no idea what the issue is. As stated above open up Activity Monitor and go find whatever that process is. Let us know what you find. Or is it the system sound by chance?

MacPossum

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
That is simply amazing... I'd love to know how to do something like this to a friend's MB:D:D

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
For starters, log in as another user (create one from scratch). Does it still happen?

Yes? System wide, bit harder to find.

No? Then it's only with your current user, check you Login Items for suspicious materials.

thfcpoole

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
London, UK
i've got it on my core duo imac. Scared the **** out of me and won't shut up. It was acting slow and weird before this for about a week anyway. What is it? How do I reinstall OSX

Paul3144

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
Can you imagine going into an Apple store and telling them "When I use my computer I hear voices."? Then when you try to show them it won't do it and they'll call the crazy home.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
On PC's they make viruses that steal all your personal information, cause BSOD's, or delete your files. But on Mac... on Mac, they are just f:apple:cking hilarious.

EDIT: Nevermind, it 4th grade, somebody put this virus on all the school PCs that came up on the 17th of each month that said. "Your name is a stupid idiot, press OK to be retarded." Now that's classic! :)