Macbook vs Ibook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by iMaccore2, Mar 20, 2008.

1. iMaccore2 macrumors regular

Ok, i just bought an iMac and need a mac laptop for school, and im not sure what to do. 1 I sell my imac on ebay, and cut the loss and add a few hundred to cover the price of the macbook. 2 i take that couple hundred i was going to use to buy the macbook and buy an ibook g3. Also ill mention that i have a 20'' external monitor that i could use with either of the laptops

thanks

2. PCsucks macrumors member

i would just save up cause it would be nice to have a macbook and an imac to come home too:D but thats just me

3. vniow macrumors G4

Go for the G3 only if you have some sadistic desire to have your logic board fail without any warning. Why did you buy an iMac if you needed a laptop for school?

4. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i dont think i could handle that, i had to save up for a while to get the imac

thanks

EDIT: i dont think my parents would appreciate me spending another grand or two on a computer, im only 14

5. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a pc laptop that served my needs when i bought the imac, but then had to give it to my dad, his was fried

EDIT: I would rather not take a 1500 dollar computer to classes, but i need a mac now (no particular reason, i just do)

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Get an old TiBook or something, I wouldn't bother with a G3 though.

7. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

Ive come across a few good Titanium g4's but there around 600, and if i buy that, im halfway to a macbook

PS im envying your penryn macbook

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I had a 12" iBook G3 I was using now and then, but G3's won't play the new video format, and couldn't handle a lot of the web pages with all the fancy multimedia on it.

If you get a Mac notebook, get at least a 1 GHz G4...

Why did you buy the iMac for?

If you had a 20" monitor, why didn't you get a Mini and a MacBook? That's what I ended up with and love it...

(I already had a really nice 20.1" LCD screen)

9. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

The more i think about it, the more i think i will just sell my imac and buy a macbook

thanks

10. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

You know, i dont know. I didnt think of that when i was in the store, and the salesmen really talked me into the imac, i went in to buy a macbook. i dont have a good answer for that

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Better to buy stuff online, mate. Good news is that you can sell your iMac and buy a refurbished Macbook from Apple. Depending on the age and condition of your iMac, you might only have to add about a hundred dollars to get a refurb Macbook after selling the iMac on eBay.

12. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

i definitly will next time, but i had the cash and i dont have a paypal, i would have to use my dads, and i wouldnt put a 1400 dollar purchase on a credit card, because thats alot of money to have something go wrong with. Ill will probably buy a refurb

thanks

13. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

I also have a question about the refurbs, if i buy one will it have case damage, i am sorta of paranoid about keeping my things in perfect condition

thanks

14. GOPboi macrumors newbie

Apple Certified Refurbished Products
    Frequently Asked Questions:
    (1) What are Apple Certified Refurbished Products?

Apple Certified Refurbished Products are pre-owned Apple products that undergo Apple's stringent refurbishment process prior to being offered for sale. These products have been returned under Apple's Return and Refund Policies. While only some units are returned due to technical issues, all units undergo Apple's stringent quality refurbishment process.

Each Apple Certified Refurbished Product:

* is fully tested (including full burn-in testing).
    * is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing.
    * is put through a thorough cleaning process and inspection.
    * is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.).
    * includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system. See each products "Learn More" for more details.
    * is given a new refurbished part number and serial number.
    * is placed into a Final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock.

Refurbishment procedures follow the same basic technical guidelines as Apple's Finished Goods testing procedures.

(2) What should I expect when I purchase an Apple Certified Refurbished Product?

* Substantial savings
    * A fully functional unit with complete documentation
    * The assurance that the unit meets Apple's premiere quality standards, and that its defective components have been replaced by genuine Apple components

15. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

should i feel comfortable buying a refurb, and a question to everyoneon the forum, would you?
    thanks

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the whole case would be replaced with a new one if the old one were cracked. Refurbs *could* have problems, but then again, so could new macs. IMO you're no more likely to have problems with one or the other. They absolutely would not sell a refurb with a cracked case.

I think you're right to go for the macbook, even though it will involve the hassle of selling your imac. A G3 ibook is really slow at this point, and I don't think you'd be happy with it. Also, with the macbook, you can hook it up to your display at home and have the equivalent of a desktop. Really, the only way in which you'll be worse off is that the macbook doesn't have the graphics power of the imac, but if you're ok with that, then it's a great plan.

oh, and if you use the ibook with the external, you need VGA because ibooks don't have DVI.

17. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

I have only used my imac to play one game, tomb raider aniiversary demo, and i really only use my mac for music editing on top of the basic stuff. Thats what i will do Thanks

18. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

19. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It's kind of a joke when you say to PC users "Mac users game on a console" - but it does make sense.

It would've been better for you to get a MacBook and an XBox 360 then try to do gaming on an iMac...

21. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

if anyone could link me to a site with good deals on previous gen macbooks that would be a big help

i already know about macmall and amazon thanks

22. Jpoon macrumors 6502

I really hate when people say, "you can't play games on Apple computers."

You can't play games well on some Apple computers. If you have a Mac Pro, have at it. If you have a MBP, have at it with certain games, enjoying a pretty decent FR for most of the current games. Expect heating issues though lol.

But specifically, these computers weren't optimized for gaming. That's why Apple doesn't stress gaming in ANY of their advertising stuff.

You have to build your needs around the hardware you can afford. Plain and simple. I can't afford an Xbox 360 or a PS3 at the moment. And I don't have time to play my Wii due to college. But my MacBook is my loyal campus companion ready to do all my multimedia stuff *minus graphic intensive games* on the go.

I'd really go for the refurbished ones though. My refurb came in pristine condition. The only difference is that it comes in a brown Apple box instead of the original packaging. No big deal there either :3

23. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

I would like to hear any other stories of refurb buyers, good, bad whatever

24. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I have bought many refurbished products from Apple with no problems whatsoever. My first was a iPod Mini way back in 2005, and it was the only product from Apple i've had issues with. After 3 returns, I finally got one in perfect working condition. My next refurb purchase was my 17" Core 2 Duo iMac, which has been running flawlessly since December. Same goes for my iPod Touch.

So basically, i've had no problems (with exception of Mini) with my refurbs. I highly recommend to people who want to save money on a great Apple product.

25. iMaccore2 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the insight, but were there any cosmetic flaws with any of the products?

thanks