MacBook vs MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illegalprelude, Mar 31, 2009.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

So....im either thinking of either getting the 2.4 MacBook or the 2.4 MacBook Pro.

Im looking at the specs and I got some question. I know all the technical and hardware difference (so yes, diff. size screen, firewire, resolution, graphics card) but in terms of performance, outside of gaming, where will I see the diff?

Id be getting 4GB of ram in either version, and they both sport DDR3. So when is the MacBook Pro really shinning over the MacBook?

2. raremage macrumors 6502a

Display Quality - MBP is much better. Having said that, the MB display is perfectly functional unless you are doing graphics-sensitive tasks, like video editing perhaps.

To me, it's a trade off of portability versus functionality (though I am sure some will chime in that I don't have the 'eye' to notice how bad the MB is - which is undoubtedly true). I like the smaller form factor, though I am stil hedging a bit. I have both a UMB 2.4 and a previous-gen MBP 15. The performance is pretty much identical other than graphics accelleration, where the MBP is significantly better (but you already mentioned graphics, so I'll not harp on that).

3. kp98072 macrumors member

Hi there, was in the same dilemma just two weeks ago. I got the UBMB which is a great machine, but then, after using it for a week, I decided the screen size was just too small for me. So luckily i was able to take it back and upgraded to the UBMBP 2.4 with no restocking fee. at first i didn't buy the pro because i was afraid it was too big and its not! i love the larger screen at its clear from any angle, where the mb was not. somthing about the keyboard on the pro is better to me too, its just easier and faster to type. If you like nice things such as computers, youll love the pro for sure! its just a more solid machine all around.

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

You will see the difference when watching stuff. The MBP has a superior screen to that of the regular MacBook's.
    Gizmodo comparison

Also noticeably better sound
    better cooling I would assume (2 fans)

And that's all I can think of... :D

5. kp98072 macrumors member

Portability between the two is really not that noticeable, i take it everywhere, no problem. its definitely worth the larger screen for sure!! especially when watching movies.

6. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

See...thats where im stuck at. Honestly, screen quality is not that big of a deal because I have a PowerMac G5 and the minute Snow Leopard and Blu-ray support come, ill be getting a Mac Pro.

So I guess thats what im kinda lost on. There used to be such a huge diff. between a MacBook and a MacBook Pro but unless im really doing high end editing on it, there isnt much of a performance anymore huh?

So for example, would photoshop really run any diff. on a MB vs a MBP?

I gotta say, to me, the perfect MBP would be it in a 13". So im leaning on the MacBook, but dont wanna regret not getting a MBP. But on the flip end, I dont wanna get a MBP and pay extra for something im not using (plus, like i said, I do prefer something more portable) Heck, I own an air right now so im all about smaller units :D

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Honestly, if you have to ask , you probably don't need the extra speed. The additional VRAM won't come into play unless you are doing some pretty serious visualizations or some massive composition with a trillion layers across the internal display and an external 30". If you don't game, don't plan on utilizing serious external storage (via expresscard), don't need firewire (again may be a storage issue), and don't plan on utilizing 30" + 15" of real estate, you may not realize the benefits.

I find that a large number of individuals (in my circle at-least) waste their money on the Macbook Pro-sort of like a luxury SUV purchase that always has an empty third row and never touches dirt. The screen real estate may be a legitimate issue which will push them over the edge, which can explain Apple's lack of a 15 inch macbook or a 13 inch (12 inch powerbook-esque) macbook pro, but most people I see try to 'future proof' themselves though the computer will more than likely break before they do enough to really tax the machine.

8. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

In that case, I would recommend to you the 2.0 MacBook. And go refurbished to save some serious dough!

9. mac88 macrumors 6502

Great advice. I was just going to post the same reply. Definitely will save some money and can use the savings for an HD upgrade.

10. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

yea, honestly, none of that is gonna be me. Only thing that burns me is the lack of Firewire (I really hate USB lol) But what im doing in photoshop is a joke to most people here. like maybe 4 layers, some txt. basic jpeg stuff :eek:

ill be doing a lot of iPhoto...some iMovie, a lot of iWork stuff...So im typically doing thing

Adium, iTunes, 5-10 Safari Pages, iPhoto or Pages, Space is always a go....and yea...thats usually what im doing. I just hate slowness lol.

The MacBook config id be considering is
    4GM
    320GB HDD

11. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I honestly don't think you will see that much of a difference between the base model and the 2.4ghz MacBook. You have already decided that you are going to upgrade the HD and the RAM to 4GB, which will be just as beneficial to the base 2.0 MacBook.

The RAM is the key here. It will make a much more noticeable difference than those 0.4GHz when using your MacBook.

12. Scandals macrumors member

Firewire is the clincher for me. If it was a netbook, no firewire might be ok. But I think many of us have collected a lot of firewire devices over the years and just don't want to abandon them in one shot. I mean, these things are still very useful, unlike parallel printers, scanners and zip drives.:rolleyes:

Ron Prociuk

13. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

agreed man, I specially have been purchasing Firewire Hard Drives for years now. Getting enclosures that have Firewire and my camcorder that supports Firewire so im with you on that one.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well you already said you wanted FireWire, so I guess your decision has already been determined based on that one piece of info, hasn't it?

Or you could just do the work on your desktop and use the laptop for shiggles.

15. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I myself just decided to "Down grade" sort of by replacing my MBP with a MB.

For me is seems like there is not more need to spend the cash on the MBP, for me at least. O was thinking about it. I do music, I would have to get a new audio interface for it anyway, and the MBP has a weak FW chip. Both are glossy only and you'll have to get an anti-glare screen from either of them if it bugs you. Other then that it is just screen size and video card.

Save the money and get the smaller machine.

16. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

Lucky. I did the same thing but had to pay the restocking fee. :(

17. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If it's going to primarily be setting on a desk, I'd say get the MBP due to greater screen size/quality, firewire and graphics chip.

If it's truly going to be a road machine, I'd say get the MB and get a good lcd monitor to hook it up to.

18. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

iPhoto and iMovie actually do like some extra processing power. If you use the facial recognition on iPhoto it will help.

More cycles will also help with the new image stabilization feature on iMovie.

I love the quietness of my MBP's dual fans cooling everything at 2000rpm.

My whiteshell MacBook would rarely ever stay at 2000rpm and would continually ramp up to 4000-5000 with even the lightest tasks. So keep this in mind if loud computers annoy you or make you uneasy.

19. raremage macrumors 6502a

As a technology consultant, who is constantly on the road, I find the portability to be quite noticeable.

20. macDonalds macrumors 6502

You need to start lifting weights my friend.

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Really? That sucks, looks like that store (manager) was having a bad day.

22. MacGeek767 macrumors member

MacGeek767

MacBook is your basic computer, and Pro is just more memory, faster processor, more hard drive space, etc.

MacBook is $999-$1599
    MacBook Pro is $1999-$2799

Basics or Advanced? it depends on what you want really, and how much you are willing to spend.

23. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

You can price em up to around 3600

24. raremage macrumors 6502a

That's undoubtedly true.

But there's more to portability than weight - it's the combination of form factor and lighter weight. I travel constantly, and it surprised me how much more convenient the UMB is compared to my previous-gen MBP - but it is. Takes less room in my bag, weighs less (which I notice over my shoulder running / jogging / walking through an airport) and is just easier to use in the field to me - on a plane, at the airport, on a lap, or on a table in a Panera / Starbucks / Insert restaurant name here.

25. kp98072 macrumors member

What?????????????? its only a pound difference, to each his own i guess.