Macbook: where to buy: Online or Applestore?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jlm86, May 30, 2009.

1. jlm86 macrumors newbie

Daughter off to college. Am getting the silver Macbook, with free IPOD Touch promo.
    Question: Should I get this from Apple Online? or drive the 60 miles to official Apple Store?
    Best Buy is not a official site to get the Ipod Touch Promo , so that is out...
    thanks

2. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Online?

Well, as you're 60 miles from the nearest Apple Store, then i'd suggest ordering it online as you don't have to go anywhere. It's probably nice to go and pick it up from a store, but probably not worth the 120 miles trip.

I'm not sure about the US, but over here, delivery times are pretty quick, so you won't have to wait too long for it either.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I'd say online. The drivinng just for a computer isn't worth it unless you plan to do something else like a family trip while out there.

4. ptsube macrumors 6502

Go to the Apple Store and take your daughter with you. Nice father daughter outing.

5. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

+1
    Indeed

6. Apple all life macrumors 6502

make sure you bring paper work saying shes in college, my apple store sucks and they wont sell me anything.

7. mrbeaverhousen macrumors member

what kind of paper work is needed? is a school ID good enough?

8. cube macrumors G4

Make sure you'll never want to connect a miniDV camcorder to it, otherwise get the white one.

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

School ID should be fine. It was for me last year.

On the other hand, people are saying that online purchases don't require any verification.

10. Apple all life macrumors 6502

yea thats fine its just I lost mine :(

11. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

Got my macbook pro with next day delivery for $1800 (no taxes either).

12. XmcbrideXprideX macrumors newbie

Bonding

I'd definitely go spend the time together, go for the trip.

13. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

14. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

Go to Best Buy. Get the black tie coverage which covers accidents and spills that AppleCare doesn't. With the money you save on gas, the piece of mind you'll have with the coverage -- get an ipod and be done with it. ;)

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Trust me (16 years old), It's twenty times more exciting knowing you'll have your new Macbook in however much time it will be. Especially when you walk out of that store with that fantastic little box with the amazing piece of machinery inside... And what's better, you get a free drawstring Apple bag! (dealbreaker for me ;))

16. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

There appears to be debate over whether Best Buy will honor the back to school promotion. Some say they will, other say they won't, still others say they will if the customer insists on it as a condition of the sale. So YMMV.

17. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

I always wondered for the people who had their macs delivered, are the delivery guys careful with the box? I could just see the UPS or Fedex guy tossing the box in front of your door. ::cringe::

Also, does anyone else get embarrassed when walking through the mall with a brand new macbook in box? I always get the feeling people are looking at me like, look at that guy thinks he's all cool.

18. inmotion macrumors member

don't know about the U.S. but here in Toronto, they asked me to bring a valid school schedule... (then again, my University of Toronto ID doesn't have an expiry date)

19. iKatianarie macrumors member

Hey, if I were to drive to the closest apple store to me (25 min. drive), would I be able to apply for the juniper visa card there (and use it to make the purchase right then and there?).

20. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Sure... as long as you're approved. (but lots of luck these days).

Any merchant would be stupid to let you leave their store without making sure you buy something with that card then and there.

21. Chozo macrumors member

Same here at the Apple Store in Sherway Gardens.

Actually, seeing me log into my college's website (the student area) was enough. I was going to bring up my schedule but he told me not to bother as the log in was enough.

22. iKatianarie macrumors member

I know I'm asking a lot of annoying questions, but I just really wanna know what I'm doing before i buy my macbook. When you buy the macbook online (right now), they charge you for the ipod, and send you a rebate. If you use the Juniper Visa card to pay, does that mean I'll be making payments with that card, or pay for it out of pocket straight away (meaning they'll charge my checking account), and wait for the rebate?

23. Exegesis48 macrumors regular

The cost of the iPod would go onto the card and then your rebate would come in the form of a check to you. You would then be able to apply that check to the card or spend it as you wish.

24. iKatianarie macrumors member

Thank you so much to everyone who answered my questions :). I'm new at this (i'm only 17, but I turn 18 on Monday), so please bear with me, lol.

25. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I agree with this. She's going off to school soon, so enjoy this kind of quality time with her while you can.