MacBook wifi & the router

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by tom123, Apr 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tom123 macrumors regular

tom123

MacBook connects to this router just fine but seems to Drop it every once in a while, like when checking mail or surfing to a new URL.

Cincinnati Bell uses:
    Zyxel VSG1432-B101 - Router (192.168.0.1)
    I even tried deleting the 4 preferences.plist per notes osdaily

http://osxdaily.com/2015/10/16/fix-wi-fi-problems-mac-os-x-el-capitan/
    This somewhat worked but the problem always came back. then I remembered I had an old router so I connected up to it
    Asus AC1900 (model# RT-AC68P) - Router (192.168.1.1)

It's been four days now with no dropouts. Thanks Cincinnati Bell, not!

So there’s something different about the MacBook (wi-fi on my iPad and iMac worked just fine on either router) maybe they're using a different chipset, As far as strength, it sees more then my iPad, amazing, where is the antenna?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I had a lot of wifi drops and went to system preference----network---advanced----TCP/IP----configure ipv6 and changed it to link-local only.

Did that about 2 weeks ago, and it has been flawless since.

4. tom123, Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2016

tom123 thread starter macrumors regular

tom123

I just tried that about three hours ago so far it is looking great, thank you. (I don't remember ever doing - choosing link-local only, Time will tell, but I got to say --> it's looking good!) And thanks for the iFixit link - the Wi-Fi picks up such weak signals - amazing considering is going through aluminum case, and the speakers sound great too. Very pleased with this year old used MacBook.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It has been killing me for a long time. I randomly stumbled upon that solution reading comments in an article. Everyone that replied said that worked. I have been going on a few weeks without issue now.

6. tom123 thread starter macrumors regular

tom123

Well it's next day and it's still working perfectly! thank you, thank you.
    Went to my iMac and changed it, it made no difference but then I had no problems with it begin with.

7. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Makes me grateful for the level of service from our UK ISP's, compared to their US counterparts they are fantastic.