Macbookpro battery NOT CHARGING

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macnewbie27, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Macnewbie27 macrumors newbie

Hi,

IT's my second post in the forum. Now i have another problem with my new macbookpro. The battery stopped charging itself for some reason i don't understand. When i plug my macbookpro to the electricity is says " NOT CHARGING" when i plug it out, i lose all the power. So it seems now the only way to work on my mac is to constantly keep it plugged to electricity which quite kills the idea of "laptops".

Why would the battery stop recharging all of a sudden? The AC adapter that came with macbook is working just fine. Also i can see the green light when it's plugged (when it's charging it was orange), it's constantly green.

Can somebody help?

Thanks in Advance,

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Sounds like a serious power problem, take it to an Apple store to be fixed/replace the battery.

3. Tommeh macrumors member

You could always try a PRAM reset. Turn off Macbook, turn on and press alt+cmd+p+r and hold. Release after you've heard the startup "boingg" twice.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Sounds like a faulty battery - my daughter's MacBook had exactly this problem.
    We took it to the Genius Bar on Saturday and they did a quick test and replaced the battery under warranty

5. Macnewbie27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried the PRAM reset before i posted the thread, and after seeing your post i tried it again... No luck! It doesn't work. It saved the day for me when my trackpad went crazy but it seems like it's not helping with the battery problem. BTW- PRAM reset - option+cmd+p+r and not "alt" :)

Thanks for trying to help me out. Though.. Any other ideas people?

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

The alt and option key are essentially the same button. My Apple keyboard has ALT printed on the key.

Why don't you try and reset the SMC : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah - your battery is faulty (as I said in post #4 ;) )

8. Macnewbie27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Phil,

I understand what you are saying but how can it be a faulty because it worked just fine until today (around 6 months) and all of a sudden it turned out to be a faulty? I mean, maybe a power failure or a short circuit caused the battery not to respond ? The funny thing is even nothing like that ever happened to it. It just stopped recharging from one day to another with no possible reason. I'm still suspecting it might be a software faulty.

Please write with your ideas!

Thanks,

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As I said, that's exactly what happened to my Daughter's battery: One day it was working fine and the next it had no charge (the machine shut down as soon as you took the power lead out). Also, the battery was showing Not Charging in System Profiler and the charger light was green. All exactly the same symptoms as you have reported.

When we took in to the Genius Bar, he plugged a "special" iPod in that loaded some diagnostics software and clearly showed the battery had failed. It hadn't worn out, it had just failed overnight and they swapped it out under warranty.

10. Macnewbie27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok Thanks Phil. I think i'll just take it to the store :-(

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I had the same problem with my rev. A MacBook Pro battery. Apple should replace it without question.

12. steveLONDON macrumors regular

Bumping this old thread. I have the exact same problem with my beloved new i7!

Can they swap the battery there and then at the Genius bar?

13. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

Most likely. But you'll have better luck finding out there than on a forum!

14. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

This happened to me but like a month out of Apple Care...

New one is like $180 also. Sucks.

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Ask Apple anyway. Sometimes they will replace defective batteries out of warranty.

16. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Hmm... Worth a try I guess. I'll write back with how it goes when I do.

17. mansanas macrumors regular

this just happened to me.
    my battery was at 33% and i decided to plug it, but it said "not charging"
    i held the power button down to shut it down, restarted it and it is now charging.

but i hate the fact that it happened. should i take it to the apple store? why does this happen anyways?

18. superchargedAU macrumors newbie

Battery not charging - solution that worked

I had the same problem - after working normally, one day the battery indicator said "not charging". The MagSafe power adapter was lit with a green light (which normally indicates the battery is fully charged). There was no charge left on the battery itself when I unplugged the charger.

Since my 15" Macbook Pro is still (barely) under warranty, I called the Apple support line and found the solution. It is so simple I should have thought of it myself.

Steps:
    (1) Turn off and unplug the macbook.

(2) Remove the battery (on my machine, you lift a lever on the bottom to remove a cover, and then pull a plastic tab to remove the battery).

(3) Now that both power adapter and battery have been removed, turn the machine back over. Then press and hold the power button for 15 seconds. (Yeah, the machine won't do anything since it has no power, but do this anyway.)

(4) Replace the battery and cover (carefully - it was a bit tricky).

(5) Plug the macbook in again and start it up.

This procedure resets a chip that controls all power functions on the macbook, and it should start to charge normally.

Note this procedure is outlined on the Apple website here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

Additional technical notes:

One way to confirm the battery is charging correctly is to check the System Profiler (click the Apple icon | About This Mac | More Info...). Look under the Hardware | Power section. You should see Charging = Yes, and the Charge Remaining should increase over time while it is charging.

The Apple person also advised that, if Cycle Count is too high, then even under warranty the battery cannot be repaired. Mine has a Cycle Count of 61 with a Full Charge Capacity of 4400. That was still in the "OK" range. Cycle Count indicates how many times the battery has been depleted and recharged, and Full Charge Capacity shows how much power the battery can still hold. I guess if you have really thrashed your battery then these numbers would be much worse.

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit.
    :apple:15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Dou, 2 GB RAM :apple:iPhone 3GS with iOS4

19. superchargedAU macrumors newbie

This worked for me.

20. rafi112 macrumors newbie

Same but even more strange

Alright this is aggravating me now. My Macbook Pro is 2 months old. In the middle of my charge cycle today the status of the battery switched from "charging" at 78% to "not charging" with a solid green light on the charger.

I unplugged it and plugged it back in and nothing.. Same problem. Tried to reset the SMC.. and.. Nothing, same problem..

I noticed how ever if my MBP is in sleep mode or off and it is plugged into the power the LED on the charger stays orange and the little LED lights on the left hand side of the MBP show that the battery is charging.

Right now, i'm working on battery power and whatever charge I was able to get out of it before it stopped charging. I'm wondering, since the battery still charges when the MBP is off and in sleep mode and it works fine without the power plug connected, will this problem just solve itself once the battery drains and I start the next load cycle? Or will it just never turn on again and I'll inevitably have to replace the battery?

Do I need some battery update to solve this issue? I've already updates everything else.

Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks!

21. Goose91 macrumors newbie

Mine does the exact same thing. I just got it brand new and I was thinking maybe it had something to do with the first charge since I haven't ran it all the way down yet. I am working on that as we speak if it the problems returns I will call apple.

Suggestions?
    Sam

EDIT: I also have the old T style charger from my old laptop. If someone can tell me what to look for on system profiler I can check that out.

22. rafi112 macrumors newbie

Uber strange...

So the charge finished on my MBP and it wouldn't turn on except when plugged in and even when off it would show that it was charging but it turns out it wasn't charging the battery at all..

I got so frustrated I preformed the "SMC reset" as suggested by the people on this forum about like 4 times.. and it didn't work.. so I left it for an hour plugged in.. came back after dinner and for some odd reason I don't know why but it started to work once again and its still working this morning.. Super weird.. I have no idea wha could have had aspired during that one hour I was away, but hey, it works now and I'm so relieved.

Try resetting the SMC and updating the OS also.. I hope it works out for whom ever has this unfortunate problem occur to them.. To my unfortunate luck, there is no authorized Apple service center where I live. So if you do have one near you, take it to the genius bar and get their opinion on it if all else fails.

23. electroJ macrumors newbie

electroJ

SMC/PRAM Reset, New Battery and Adapter and still NOT CHARGING

For me, this problem first arose a few months ago.

I tried the SMC and PRAM resets with no luck.

I purchased a new battery and it did not resolve right away.

I left the unit unplugged without the battery in overnight over a couple nights and eventually it worked, but since then it has done the NO CHARGING thing a few more times.

I read somewhere about doing the SMC reset, keeping your battery out while you plug in the AC charger, turning on the MBP and once it's powered up inserting your battery. I tried this and it worked for me once, but not again.

Another thing I noticed was when the NOT CHARGING occurred. It appeared to happen AFTER I would unplug the AC Adapter from the wall but not from the MBP. I did this two days ago resulting in a fresh round of NOT CHARGING. I have gone through every step above with no success. I even purchased a new AC adapter thinking that might be the case since my old one was frayed. Still no success.

Annoying Apple!

24. MacGrumpy macrumors newbie

Same again...

Hi all

I purchased my first Mac this morning, a 15'' Macbook Pro - of course in my excitement I spent all afternoon carefully following the instructions of the booklet and advice of the iStore while setting up.. To my frustration - I noticed that although the machine was plugged in and the green light was on to indicate the battery was 'fully charged', the battery icon on the screen states that there is no battery available and the percentage charge is 0%. After many long phone conversations with the iStore it has been determined that the battery is faulty and of course they have promised to replace the machine tomorrow. The principle however is that my brand-new-out-of-the-box supposedly 'flawless' Mac is defective. And in reading this forum I realise I am not alone in encountering this defect.

As a first time Mac user and purchaser I am seriously unimpressed.

25. philharve macrumors newbie

philharve

New battery failure

Hi All

I've had the 'Not Charging" condition flagged up after installing a brand new battery with only 5 charge cycles on the clock. I tried all the usual resets and nothing worked. The clincher was when I plugged the new battery into a NewerTech external charger-conditioner which I happen to have. It failed to charge the new battery too. I finally had confirmation that the new battery was defective. The irony is that the new battery was manufactured by NewerTech. It was one of their 71W high capacity batteries. The battery I am replacing is almost 4 years old and currently has a cycle count of 517. Its current capacity is 83 percent but is failing fast. It might last a month or two longer.

Moral: even new batteries can fail!

Regards

Phil