Macbooks are winning me over

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by motoleo, Feb 17, 2012.

1. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I am the most intrigued with the new OSX Mountain Lion and now I may actually consider buying a Macbook Pro- for real this time.

Who would've thought that by taking the most successful aspects from the iPhone and iPad and integrating them into the OS would be such a breakthrough?

Does anyone have the wallpaper for Mountain Lion?

2. eagandale4114, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Use the search feature next time. Full res link.

3. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

This is the first time that I'm actually bringing OSX to Windows.

4. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Whoops about the spelling.....

Anyways the macbook pro is a a beast of a machine. You will love it.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

Dittos. Once you go Mac, you won't go back.

6. Takashi macrumors regular

Wait until apple OSX 10.8 screws everyone over like what they did with OSX 10.7. Haha... then you will run back to PC and everyone else will downgrade to 10.6 (SL) .

7. motoleo thread starter macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I can't believe how good this background looks on this Windows laptop! I'm keeping it.

I'm being extra naughty today.

8. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Change is constant.

9. jackrv macrumors 6502

This is true. I've gotten so accustomed to Lion's "Natural" scrolling that it just feels right. In fact, when I am at work on my windows PC, I find myself always scrolling in the wrong direction and have to constantly correct myself.

10. azure247 macrumors 6502

I switched to a mbp last year and love it over my acer windows 7 laptop. The trackpad and keyboard design is well done and the inertia scrolling and side swipe to go back or forward a website page is genius. Even my friend was amazed and wanted one.

Also the mbp keyboard types a lot quieter than my friend's HP one which makes noisy clack clack sound during lectures while mine has a softer sound.

11. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

after using macs glass trackpad i dont think i could go back to a windows laptop.

12. MorpheusXXZ macrumors newbie

Same here. :D I can't get back to any windows laptop after enjoying MBP for about 3 months. Waiting for the stable release of Mountain Lion.

13. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

I really don't understand the hating on 10.7. It's rock-solid here, noticeably faster due to better RAM usage, some wonderful usability features (triple-finger-double-tap for dictionary/thesaurus!), the superb FileVault 2 ...and cost all of $29 for my whole family to upgrade with no problems at all. What's not to like?

14. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I love this trackpad. It spoiled me. Now when I use my relative's plasticky trackpad, I find that my touch is waaaay too light for Windows. Hardware-wise, Macs can't be beat in the quality-to-performance ratio. Its specs are overshadowed by a couple Windows offerings, but all Windows laptops fall short of the Mac in quality, and that's why the price of buying a Mac is always worth it.

Here's my little rant on Mountain Lion.

Millions of people were happy with Lion because it wasn't really that much different from Snow Leopard, other than some stupid skins on iCal etc. But Mountain Lion is drastically different from Lion and Snow Leopard, bringing mostly unwanted changes such as the Notification Center (we already have Growl), Gatekeeper (more restrictions and pushes users toward the MAS), Share Sheets, etc.

I predict that what most users will especially hate will be the new Safari interface. I prefer Safari over Chrome because of its dedicated search bar. This way, the browser never confuses a URL for a search query, and I can search for a URL. Now, users will be forced to use the unibar, unless it can be disabled in preferences. Moreover, the wide tabs were a good idea on the iPad because on a cramped screen, bigger tabs are always better. But on a gigantic widescreen monitor? Horrible idea!! Imagine opening a tab on a 27" iMac and it being 11.5" wide!

15. Takashi macrumors regular

I am totally opposite from you. I wondered why Safari never incorporated a search function in their URL bar in the current version. It's so stupid that users have to go to a dedicated search bar to search for things. That was one reason I ditched Safari to Chrome.

16. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I have no problem with that.
    The main issue I have with the new Safari is the strange tab system anyway.

17. Takashi macrumors regular

I don't understand what's with the hate either. I was the first group that upgraded to 10.7 and I never went back to 10.6. Nevertheless, majority of the users around here hold tight to SL and don't want to upgrade to Lion.

18. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I agree.

But a better case to make is ... If you don't like the new OS, then keep your old one. Everyone is acting like someone is pointing a gun to their head forcing them to upgrade their OS.

Plenty of people are still using 10.6 with no problems. I'm sure 10.7 will suffice if people hate 10.8 so much.

19. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's where the problem is. With Apple ceasing to release updates on older OSes, they essentially are saying, "If you don't get the newest version, you will have many, many problems." This is effectively forcing people to upgrade.

20. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

What problems exactly?

It's not as if Snow Leopard automatically became less stable with the release of Lion.

What problems have been introduced in Snow Leopard since the release of Lion exactly? Cause I can't think of anything.

Personally, I think people just enjoy complaining on the internet. Don't want it, then don't upgrade. Simple.

21. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Macs lack any security measures against viruses. As hackers find more and more exploits on older OSes that are not regularly updated, more viruses and security holes will appear.

So yes, older OSes are automatically bound to become less secure with the release of newer and updated ones.

A notable example being Mac Protector, whose exploit has been patched by Apple on Snow Leopard and Lion but not on Leopard and previous versions.

This isn't a problem with Windows because of the variety of antivirus software that most users have, but since the majority of Mac users don't even think about getting one, it's a humongous problem for Macs.

22. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

So in other words, if they get Anti-Virus then they won't have a problem?

Then why not just get Anti-Virus?

23. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Did you read my reply??

24. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

I did.

You made the point that most Apple users don't get Anti-Virus.

Well maybe they should start. Everyone is responsible for their own online safety after all.

I mean, what exactly do you want Apple to do? Stop releasing new OSes? Legacy OSes are only supported for a period of time before everyone moves on. With Windows, the support is much more extensive because of the nature of most of their customers (corporations).

25. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

You just contradicted yourself...
    I expect Apple to release features that the customer wants and not change things that the customer likes.