Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2008
Okay, it is time for another one of my random half-five musings.

Because of the UK Smoking Ban passed in 2007, I'm not allowed to smoke within my university dorms, because they are technically a public building. So instead I have to come and sit outside on the cold concrete of the carpark to satisfy my shameful desire for nicotine.

A thought has occurred to me; isn't WiFi a wonderful thing? I mean ten years ago, if you had said to somebody that ten years from now you would be able to enjoy a 6mbps internet connection in a carpark twenty feet from your dormitory with no wires at all, they would have called you mad.

Even madder if you mentioned you were printing an essay at the same time.

Okay, normal mundane life will restore in 5... 4... 3...

tayloralmond

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2009
Michigan, USA
I'd definitely have to agree there. I remember being excited when I got to get onto the internet using AOL dial-up (on our family's Windows 3.1 machine lol) Wireless high speed internet is definitely in the "Star-Trek" realm compared to 15 years ago.

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
It was about ten years ago when Steve Jobs first demonstrated the clamshell iBook on a wifi network with the earliest airport base station. Yes, we could hardly believe it then.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
I was fairly impressed the first time I was in Central London with my new iPod touch, turned on Location Services, and it found my location to within 20 yards.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Okay, it is time for another one of my random half-five musings.

Because of the UK Smoking Ban passed in 2007, I'm not allowed to smoke within my university dorms, because they are technically a public building. So instead I have to come and sit outside on the cold concrete of the carpark to satisfy my shameful desire for nicotine.

A thought has occurred to me; isn't WiFi a wonderful thing? I mean ten years ago, if you had said to somebody that ten years from now you would be able to enjoy a 6mbps internet connection in a carpark twenty feet from your dormitory with no wires at all, they would have called you mad.

Even madder if you mentioned you were printing an essay at the same time.

Okay, normal mundane life will restore in 5... 4... 3...

Smoking while using WiFi will be made illegal very soon :eek:

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
We have super sensitive fire alarms in our rooms, if you smoked, even out the window, it WOULD set it off.

To the OP: Technology is a wonderful thing :p

Also, give up smoking, it's bad for you ;)

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I felt really old when our wireless router conked out and I told my younger housemates to use the ethernet port. They didn't know what it was.

sosaysiburke

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
didn't know what the ethernet port was.. damn that is bad haha. Thats not old man stuff thats just plain wrong.

ppc750fx

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2008
So instead I have to come and sit outside on the cold concrete of the carpark to satisfy my shameful desire for nicotine.

What's with the self-deprecation? There's nothing shameful about enjoying a smoke.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'm sure they offer smoking and non smoking rooms at the university I will be attending. The smoking ban does not cover living accommodation, hotels are not covered for example.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
What's with the self-deprecation?

It's a British thing.

There's nothing shameful about enjoying a smoke.

In your opinion.

I'm sure they offer smoking and non smoking rooms at the university I will be attending. The smoking ban does not cover living accommodation, hotels are not covered for example.

Other than in individual rooms, yes they are. Usually WIFI does not reach the rooms.

Darkroom

Dec 15, 2006
Montréal, Canada
how sweet would it be to just chill at a cafe with my macbook, order a massive black coffee and chain smoke while working... i wanna move to paris, i hear you can still do that there...

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Hmm in my university you could smoke in our halls. Someone even set the fire alarm off once, causing 3 fire trucks to turn up and all that happened was the fireman asked him to not smoke directly under the smoke detector. Then again, I'm in Scotland. My halls didn't have wifi though and there was only one ethernet port, 'twas a tough year :(

My iPhone frequently gives me OH MY GOD I'M LIVING IN THE FUTURE moments. Quite apart from the moments when I realise I'm online on a bus or am using a really cool app I occasionally just look at it and go "It's a touchscreen. And half the people I know have touchscreen phones now. WOAH"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.