MacBooks with Blu-ray Anytime Soon???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FrankDC21, Nov 3, 2009.

1. FrankDC21 macrumors newbie

In need of a new Apple laptop. Would like on with Blu-ray... willing to wait. Do I have a long wait? Advice?

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

3. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

rumours on the whole blu ray thing for apple have been very flaky since day 1. Apple have announced that they support blu ray, but so far nothing known has been done to bring it to market with any apple product. Every time there is a new mac refresh, theres always a rumour going round that blu ray will be supported, but it never is. Plus, a lt of the mac range have just been updated, so i doubt there will be another update for a while supporting blu ray.
    basically, i think we have a while longer to wait yet :(

4. lca355 macrumors member

The regulars will chime in about using the search function and such as this gets asked a lot! Short answer, nobody knows for sure, but from my lurking, the next update for the laptops will be in jan/feb 2010 and will most likely be the move to quad core. It just seems like Apple is going to drag their feet on the blu ray forever. . .:)

5. UglyLittleSpud macrumors member

Final Cut Pro 7 has built-in Blu-Ray support, so I'm tempted to think it'll come with the Mac Pro update in Jan/Feb. Possibly at the same time as MBPs? Apple is always more likely to add it to the Pro line first.

6. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Job's said the licensing fee's were just too high or something to that effect
    last year. But then I had heard some changes had taken place in that regard.

Can't see how Apple doesn't want it unless the new Apple TV would be hurt by it.

7. brendu macrumors 68020

im gonna go ahead and gamble that apple never includes bluray on their laptops.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You'll probably be wrong. But it will only come to the MacBook after the Mac Pro, MacBook Pro and most likely iMac gets it.

9. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Actually I don't see Blu Ray coming to any Mac anytime soon. I think Steve will be looking at flash/external hard drive storage taking over the archive role from the DVD and the download taking over on the data/movie provision side.

The future is going to be VOD, and Blu Ray will be redundant within 3 years IMO.

10. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Some folks are pretty hopeful that there will be a media event in January where they will add blueray support. I feel that since we didn't get it with the awesome new 27" big mama imac refresh we probably wont get it at all for the next 8-12 months. Just my opinion, no insider information, but seems like apple does not want to add it.

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Blu-Ray is not worth the price you pay. Sure, you can fit a lot of data on a single disc, but it's already been out for a few years with little widespread adoption. How many times do you use Blu-Ray discs? Often enough to warrant waiting X amount of time for it?

12. direzze macrumors member

If your current computer is working fine, there is no reason why you can't wait for Blu-Ray (even if it takes another year)

13. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

I have to agree with SnowLeopard2008 here.

Blue-Ray is only important to people who watch movies on their laptop - are those really that many?
    A Blue-Ray in a 27" iMac makes much more sense but still Apple didn't do that. They have their reasons,...

14. chris7777 macrumors 6502

They would have to upgrade the screen resolutions first, which is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Imac excluded

but given the new macbook, i suspect we will see quad core macbook pros first before blue ray

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Apple can easily put in a slim Blu-ray burner as they are not that expensive now and you could happily mount Blu-ray data discs and burn to them http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac-Intel-27-Inch/1236/2#s6685.

However Apple hasnt implemented Blu-ray movie playback into OS X because of the licensing issues, so its kind of pointless to put in a Blu-ray drive until it is implemented.

16. chill. macrumors 6502

licensing issues? that's really bs. when every other major manufacturer DOES support blu-ray, licensing is definitely not the problem.

the issue lies in the fact that apple has already put all its eggs into one basket, the idea of steaming cloud technology. the itunes/appletv model of downloading high def content is what they've chosen to endorse, and blu-ray would only hurt it.

apple is not going to be adding blu-ray anytime soon, if at all

EVERYONE watches movies on their laptops. yes, there really are that many. if you don't, then you really don't need a laptop

17. iMacmatician macrumors 601

What about all the other tasks that can be done on a laptop?

18. chill. macrumors 6502

are you saying that with a laptop as your primary computer you have never watched a movie?

19. pdjudd macrumors 601

I can vouch that with one or two exceptions, I do not watch DVD's on my laptop and it is my primary computer. If I want to watch a movie I have my TV to do that and evon on there Blu-Ray doesn't offer much for me.

If I need to watch a movie on the go I would just either rent it from iTunes or use a digital copy/DriveIn Copy. But even that rarely happens - the screen size is too small and you have to watch it from such a short distance that the experience is rather dull

20. waynechriss macrumors regular

I'm quite the opposite. I've gotten rid of all my DVDs after ripping them to an external hard drive (almost 60GB of film and animation) and instead of swapping in and out discs i plug my drive into my macbook and watch. Its so easy that i almost don't watch on a television unless i view with family and/or friends. Plus i can multi-task, watch a movie and IM someone at the same time, etc.

I've watched a ripped Blu Ray movie with the VLC player (needed extra codec) and it doesn't look HD cuz the resolution simply wasn't there but it looked pretty damn good, better than any DVD i've watched on my computer. But to me including Blu Ray functionality would be a costly and pointless move for Apple, at least for the laptops.

21. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I don't. Why would I waste my battery life and watch something on a small screen with rubbish speakers when I can watch something on a lovely TV :) Sorry but not everyone uses laptops for movies.

I think we'll see Blu-ray in an iMac or MP first if it ever comes and when it does, it'll probably only be an option anyway. It's still far more expensive than a SuperDrive and I think I'm still right in saying that it uses considerably more power which is not good for a laptop.

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

You said, "EVERYONE watches movies on their laptops. yes, there really are that many. if you don't, then you really don't need a laptop." That means if you don't watch movies, you don't need a laptop. So I replied that there are other things that a laptop can do besides playing movies. And no, I did not say that I have not watched movies on my laptop.

23. extrachrispy macrumors regular

extrachrispy

No, it's not BS. Have you read about the bag of hurt that it is? It goes beyond just paying a licensing fee. It also requires a lot of hardware support to preventing users from installing non-approved hardware or software that could (MPAA-speak coming) potentially be used to copy HD video and audio at any point between where it comes out of the BD-ROM port to where it gets to the display and speakers. The vendor essentially has to implement a very-locked-down, end-to-end HDCP between the BD-ROM device and the display and speakers.

There are many web pages out there describing how Vista degraded audio or video if any of a myriad of hardware or software checks failed. MS didn't put those checks in there because they wanted to--they put them in there because the licensing terms required them to.

You may appreciate that Jobs & Co. didn't want to introduce all of that crap into either their hardware or into OS X.

24. mrdinh macrumors regular

i think there will be a need for blu ray disc...how bout people who shoot HD movies?...those files are way to big for regular dvds

25. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

the 27" imac didn't get bluer ray. i don't see a chance for the macbooks to get it. however i see os x suppoting external blue ray drives i the nearer future.