Mach 3 Blades, where do you buy 'em?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by duncanapple, Feb 9, 2009.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

So *most* people would agree Mach 3's are about the best blades out there - I think most people would also agree those darn things are pricey! ...Every time I go to buy new razors, I buy the smallest pack, then tell myself I am either going bite the bullet and go to a wholesale club/buy them at a discount in bulk, or look online. I tried Amazon - it appears there is a grey market for these things lol.

Anyway, where I am going with this is, where do you guys (gals too, my fiance uses 'em in the shower too lol) get your Mach 3's? Any REPUTABLE websites out there where we can save a few bucks on these?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

where do you live?There's a small drug store chain that discounts in NY, but i have no idea if they discount blades... its called "harmon discounts". link They also are in bed bath and beyond stores if that helps.

i did a quick search and came up with this:
    link 1
    link 2

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

You could also get them at SAMS club - you have to buy about two dozen at a time, but they're cheaper for each one.

5. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Any particular sellers on ebay? Amazon has a bunch too, but individuals were saying the blades packaging looked faded and the stripes on the blades themselves looked melted. Some even suspected they were fakes? Would rather like to hear about a specific retailer if possible...

I really don't even mind if they are in bulk or not, I am just looking for a per unit cost closer to a dollar than three :)

Thanks!

6. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

They consist of 3 pieces of sharp steel stuck in plastic. You can't tell me that there isn't some no-name brand that works just as well for less than half the price! It's not like they are using some special technology that is not available to other manufacturers. The markup on these blades is incredible. They've done a fantastic job with their marketing.

7. duncanapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, flame away but I am yet to see anything come close. There are competitors that offer similar designs (and even uping each other with 4 blades, then 5 lol) but they are priced similar too. I am also yet to see a generic brand. I am not opposed to that either.

Its not marketing - they do a good job. I will agree the various iterations (turbo, M3, fusion, etc) are a little bit of hype, which is why I stick to the original - I'm just looking for a place that sells 'em a few bucks cheaper. Not expecting free, but I am sure they are offered somewhere reputable online for a little less.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I used Mach 3's for years, but about a year ago I switched to Fusion (the 5-blade competitor), and I can tell it does a better job than Mach 3. My first one came in the mail as a free "sample" with the razor and two blades. I've been using it ever since.

9. macfan881 macrumors 68020

yeah costco is pretty cheap. and you get like 6 cartrages

10. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's better? Damn.

I just switched from Mach 3s, "down" to the dual-blade Gillette Sensor Excel. I'm not really sure if it has affected my ability to get a clean shave. In fact, I thought that since the Sensor Excel blade doesn't bend at all, that I may get a better shave.

I'll shave well tomorrow and see.

12. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

You can get the mach 3 disposables. Their much cheaper than buying the blades by them selves. About $6 or $7. for 4 razors. You can even pop the disposable blades off and put them on your mach 3 handle.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

Don't buy them off Amazon. I bought some within the past year, and they were fakes. They were dull and gave a crappy shave. I tossed them out.

I was thinking about trying the Fusion...... maybe I'll give it a try.

I highly suggest using some real shaving cream and a brush instead of that cheap canned gel stuff. It makes a huge difference- my shaves have been absolutely amazing ever since I started using the real deal.

I use Taylor of Old Bond Street. The Lavender and Sandalwood smell so good. And it's only like $15 a tub, and it seems to last forever.

Here's where I buy my shaving cream, and it's where I bought my brush and stand: Vintage Blades. They seem really nice, and they even included a handwritten 'thank you' note in both of my orders.

Attached Files:

14. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Now that looks like the thing to try. I've used gel for as long as I can remember, but I've always wanted to try the cream and brush. Is it really that noticeable a difference?

15. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I agree that competition blades are not as good IMO - of course the blades could stay sharper for longer but business doesn't work like that.

I got bored in the end and when with one of these http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norel..._bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1234246775&sr=8-1 which obviously me being a Brit paid a huge amount more for from amazon UK but it really is a great shave and I don't get sore any more - its battery lasts for 3 weeks and I'm not going back to the blood of blades without good reason because for me this shaves better. And the blades are still sharp after one year.

16. Surely Guest

Surely

Absolutely. A very noticeable difference. I didn't believe it until I tried it myself. No razor burn, a closer shave..... and it smells great. Oh, and you need to use cold water to rinse after you shave and alcohol-free aftershave.

Electric? Just awful. Awful. I tried the arcitec for around 2 months, and it was just plain horrible. I tried a few other electrics, and they were all crap compared to blades, proper shaving cream, and proper aftershave.

Anyone want my arcitec? It's sitting in my drawer.......

17. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I buy my Gilette Fusion razors from eBay. It works out 35-45% cheaper that buying them in a retail store.

I haven't had any problems with fakes. Just make sure you buy off of someone with a very good feedback score.

18. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I never thought I'd go electric but after cuts and soreness I took a chance and its worked for me. The reviews for the Arcitec do seem to be love or hate.

I love it and for me it shaves better than a wet shave - its certainly better than my brother-in-laws Braun where the foil split after 3 months - but he does seem to generate Captain Caveman's beard for blades to deal with.

19. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I can't bring myself to pay the price demanded for Mach3 Blades... I couldn't tell you the last time I changed mine, I tend to use them until they literally rip the face off you :p

20. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

If you are using the Mach 3 and liking it -- don't switch! The Fusion is better and more expensive -- you'll like it and then, as i did, have trouble going back to the cheaper Mach 3.

I generally buy them at Costco -- but they are still damn expensive.

21. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I got myself a safety razor. Not only do I get a better shave than with my old Mach 3, the blades cost about $0.25 each. Plus, you get none of that wasteful extra plastic packaging.

22. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

That's what I need to do. I used to use the Mach 3 until I got fed up paying absurd prices for re-fill blades, so I just use really cheap plastic disposable razors right now.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^I need to do that as well, but my current routine involves shaving (my face ;)) in the shower, and it only takes me around a minute. I also don't need shaving cream because my face is so soft from standing in the shower.

I guess I could spend 10 minutes to shave, but not every day. That would be torture.

24. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

How does it do against the grain? I'd only have to shave once a week if I could pull that off, not like I don't do that already, but I'd be less scruffy come Friday.

I got a free fusion and blades and went back after the free ones were spent. Of course since I'm not in need of shaving every day, or even every other day, and my goatee hasn't been gone in years I'm a pretty easily satisfied shaver, although every time I try a cheap disposable it's torture.