Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I use an electric razor because it takes less time in the morning to shave. I bought my razor about 6 years ago for $100. Every year (sometimes it's more like every year and a half) I buy replacement blades for it which costs around $25.

I don't know if I've come out cheaper in the long run or not, I'll leave someone else to do the math.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
^^^I need to do that as well, but my current routine involves shaving (my face ;)) in the shower, and it only takes me around a minute. I also don't need shaving cream because my face is so soft from standing in the shower.

I guess I could spend 10 minutes to shave, but not every day. That would be torture.

Ah, but with a brush and a safety razor is a pleasure to shave. I used to hate shaving and I had to every day. Now it's great. I actually enjoy it.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
How does it do against the grain? I'd only have to shave once a week if I could pull that off, not like I don't do that already, but I'd be less scruffy come Friday.

It works very well against the grain. What I do, is shave with the grain first (down-ish), put on some more cream with the brush, and then shave against the grain (up-ish). Baby-smooth.

Ah, but with a brush and a safety razor is a pleasure to shave. I used to hate shaving and I had to every day. Now it's great. I actually enjoy it.

I've been thinking about going safety razor as we. Do you find that you nick yourself quite a bit more? Does it take a little more time?

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
It works very well against the grain. What I do, is shave with the grain first (down-ish), put on some more cream with the brush, and then shave against the grain (up-ish). Baby-smooth.

I've been thinking about going safety razor as we. Do you find that you nick yourself quite a bit more? Does it take a little more time?

I haven't been using a safety razor very long, but I've had very few nicks. The first two times I used it, I nicked myself in the same spot, the same spot I nicked with my Mach3 the day before. Besides that, I think I've nicked myself maybe once or twice, but there is some skill to it. It takes time to find a blade that you like, too. The biggest advice I can give is don't apply any pressure, and don't be afraid to take at least two or three passes to get a nice, smooth shave.

I will admit that it does take a bit longer, but not much. The biggest time increase for me since my Mach3 days is making lather with my brush. The actual shaving is quick, although you'll probably want to take it slow the first few times. West Cost Shaving sells a nice blade sampler pack and in their FAQ on their website, they suggest a good order for trying the blades. In my experience, it's nearly impossible to nick yourself with the first blade they recommend.

I also have to say that my parents originally kept me from going the safety razor route for a long time with their horror stories of using them back in the day. So far, I have no idea what they were talking about. The best comparison I've ever heard to describe a safety razor is that a cartridge razor is an automatic, a safety razor is a stick-shift. One's easier and takes less effort, but the other gives you a lot more control, even if you might grind your gears or stall a few times when you're learning. They're not for everyone, but if you want the control, it's worth it.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I haven't been using a safety razor very long, but I've had very few nicks. The first two times I used it, I nicked myself in the same spot, the same spot I nicked with my Mach3 the day before. Besides that, I think I've nicked myself maybe once or twice, but there is some skill to it.

Forgive my naivete, but it sounds like nicks are more common with a safety razor? Sounds like there's some irony in that name.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Forgive my naivete, but it sounds like nicks are more common with a safety razor? Sounds like there's some irony in that name.

They are (with the inexperienced), but only compared to modern cartridge razors. The razor that came before it was the straight razor, and in comparison, the safety razor is very safe. It's possible to kill with a straight razor, and you can only nick the skin with a safety razor.

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
didnt think anyone used a mach 3 anymore lol. I love my fusion, shaves really well for me. I dont have corse hair though, more like overgrown peach fuzz with color lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.