Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacHeist.com officially launched on Wednesday... a five week Mac scavenger hunt from the creators of MyDreamApp.

Each week features a "heist" requiring users to follow clues provided to accomplish their task. The first mission? Gather secret information* about the long rumored Apple iPhone from an insider..

Each heist rewards players with free software applications as well as additional discounts to the final "amazing" Mac software bundle.

MacHeist is invite only, but we've managed to provide a backdoor for MacRumors users to register freely. Have fun... time's running out for this heist which ends on Monday.

* All scenarios are staged and the "heists" are for entertainment purposes only... in other words, this is a game

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The first one was a lot of fun and had some really great apps, and can't wait for the next assignment!

justflie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Red Sox Nation
o boy...

We're going to get a lot of: "My sister's boyfriend's cousin's daughter's dog works on the Apple campus (cleaning up the cafeteria floor) and he overheard engineers telling each other how the phone would cure cancer less than a year after its release." But it should be fun to see what people come up with/legitimately find. :eek:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I seldom bite on Web gimmicks, but this one's just too odd not to check out. Oddest of all, Number Three delivered the assignment...

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
Ummm... are you sure about this?

You can't have a competition to see who can do the best murder, that would be illegal, right? For the same reason you can't have a competition to see who can steal the best corporate secret.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Ummm... are you sure about this?

You can't have a competition to see who can do the best murder, that would be illegal, right? For the same reason you can't have a competition to see who can steal the best corporate secret.

heh... it's all staged... but I guess it could be misinterpreted.

arn

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
is this stuff for real? Will we really find out about the iphone, or is it just a game. Even if it's just a game it's pretty fun. anyone got a successful response?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
is this stuff for real? Will we really find out about the iphone, or is it just a game. Even if it's just a game it's pretty fun. anyone got a successful response?

It's all a game. I guess I need to be explicit... I didn't think there'd be any confusion.

arn

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
IT IS NOT FREE!!!

This is what it says:

We're not saying what's in the bundle yet. But, frankly, it's the best Mac software bundle that's ever been put together, and if you participate in the weekly heists, you'll be able to grab it for a rather ridiculous price.

NOT FREE THEN!!!

texasmafia

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2005
Texas
IT IS NOT FREE!!!

This is what it says:

We're not saying what's in the bundle yet. But, frankly, it's the best Mac software bundle that's ever been put together, and if you participate in the weekly heists, you'll be able to grab it for a rather ridiculous price.

NOT FREE THEN!!!

Please do some research before you start spewing false information on the forums.

With Mac Heist there are 5 heists, 5 weeks, and each week you get free apps. We got three free apps this week. Along with the free apps you get monetary credits towards the amazing bundle that will be offered at the end of the entire heist.

So the truth is you will get several free apps each week if you complete the heist and you will get the already cheap bundle after the last week even cheaper if you do some of the heists.

Free is free. Don't bash something you know nothing about.

I also wanted to thank Arn for being a part of the first heist. It was a lot of fun!

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
Please do some research before you start spewing false information on the forums.

With Mac Heist there are 5 heists, 5 weeks, and each week you get free apps. We got three free apps this week. Along with the free apps you get monetary credits towards the amazing bundle that will be offered at the end of the entire heist.

So the truth is you will get several free apps each week if you complete the heist and you will get the already cheap bundle after the last week even cheaper if you do some of the heists.

Free is free. Don't bash something you know nothing about.

I also wanted to thank Arn for being a part of the first heist. It was a lot of fun!

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my mistake, but you must admit that it was misleading on the original page that I quoted. Morale-suggestion: if possible, please explain that on such page to avoid misunderstandings, confusions and to gain more users. Thanks again. My two cents.

Freelancer

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2005
Paris
oh god, it's addictive :D
just trying to break the code (if any) from the memo of the directorate.
Billy won't speak easily. maybe i should offer him a cookie for the infos.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I don't think I have the required attention span :) I sent an email to Billy and nothing came back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.