MacHeist individual app selling questions...

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by tobefirst, Apr 12, 2008.

1. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

With the latest MacHeist starting, I'm sure the Marketplace is bound to be full of individuals selling the individual apps that they don't want. I'm wondering, though, if this should be allowed, or if it is against the rules of MR.

During the last MacHeist, I tried to buy two applications from two separate people. Both times I had my money returned to me because we couldn't get the application to register in my name. I received the activation codes for both apps after sending Paypal, but it wouldn't work using my name. I would have had to use the purchaser's name when registering. Of course, I didn't want to pay for an application, and then not have it registered to me.

The problem seemed to be that you could only gift the app to someone *when you bought it*. Otherwise the application would have to be registered in the person who purchased it's name. The problem with this for MR's sake is that one of the rules is that you can't sell things that you don't own. I've seen threads closed because people were selling for their friend, or because they were going to get a free nano during the summer promotion and wanted to let the end purchaser pick the color.

So, I have two questions, only one of which needs an answer:

1. How is this any different? ...or...
    2. Were the people I was buying from just doing something wrong and you somehow can purchase the bundle, THEN gift the app to someone else, allowing them to register in their name?

I'll be happy with either question answered. :)

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There are three facets to the answers:
    1. The terms of purchase of the MacHeist bundle.
    2. The individual licensing policies of the software companies whose products are in the bundle.
    3. MacRumors policies. We encourage our members to observe software license terms but we don't study each product's specific terms, nor do we expect our moderators to police software sales beyond what's stated in the Marketplace Rules. We have no policies specific to MacHeist bundles.
    If someone would care to read and report what they learn about #1 and #2, it would benefit us all.

3. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I don't know the details of Macheist, but in the past, I think selling licenses were allowed. But I have no intimate knowledge of it.

arn