Machinarium is Out!

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by lewdvig, Oct 15, 2009.

1. lewdvig macrumors 65816

http://machinarium.net/

Preorder was just filled - game downloaded.

Same day Mac/Lin/Win release. Support friends of Mac.

2. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Looks amazing! I just dont get it, what type of game is it:p Even though the art is very different it almost gives me a creepy vibe like American Mcgee's Alice

3. lewdvig thread starter macrumors 65816

4. = bluntman = macrumors regular

5. mateus macrumors member

mateus

There seems to be a problem with the PC version. Because Machinarium is a flash game, those who use CCleaner are finding they're losing their save files because CCleaner deletes them!

:p

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I was thinking of checking this game out too. (The online demo is cool.)

Arstechnica has a positive review of it here.

7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'm actually playing it right now... fun game. Trying not to use hints (so far so good!)

8. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

This game is gorgeous. I'm only on the third screen but I'm already in love with it. It rivals World of Goo and Braid.

9. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Played and finished it over the weekend, very good game. Didn't need any hints...just hard enough, but not too hard.

--Eric

10. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

I really want to pick this up but $20 is a bit steep for this kind of game. I think I'll wait until it drops to $10.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

For those who want to know what kind of a game they are going to play before download, the site is really lacking information. Especially the FAQ. Anyone care to be informative? :)

12. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Overall the game has some puzzles you've probably done before. While there is no Tower of Hanoi in this game, it's those kind of puzzles. Those are the in your face kind of things. The rest of it plays out like an old school adventure game; getting items, combining them, and using them for some purpose. Overall it'll probably run you a good 5 hours to beat which isn't bad. For me I'd say it is worth $20 but would probably feel better to most around $10. The story isn't great but it's there if you wish. The art and music are great but I think you can get a feel of that from the demo.

The whole game is done in Flash so you can easily try the demo at their site. All of the hints you'd need to beat the game are in the game although you have to play a little mini game to open the walkthrough each time. While you primarily use the mouse for everything, most of the mini games can be played with the arrow keys and space bar. I didn't realize this till later... some of the mini games are kinda hard with just the mouse!

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thanks for the info! I saw the demo but it looked like something I had to download, hence my question. :)

14. = bluntman = macrumors regular

Anyone care to share any tips on playing that board game in the bar? The one where you have to get five nuts in a row.

15. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I've been playing this every night with the family and we're having a blast working out the puzzles together. It rivals even Wii Sports for an enjoyable time.

16. mrjosh macrumors regular

Same here. My wife is not a big fan of games, but when she what I was playing she couldn't help herself. Just the right amount of difficulty.

I went ahead and bought their other game for $5, mostly just to give the makers some more support.

Of course, I would have been better off spending the evening learning CSS, but that can wait another night, right :)

17. businessgo macrumors member