Macintosh Performa 636CD Internet Help!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by br8nd4on, Sep 20, 2010.

1. br8nd4on macrumors newbie

Hi, I recently purchased an Macintosh Performa 636CD for about $4 from a friend. I noticed this computer had an ethernet port on the back of it and I plugged a ethernet cable into it from a DLINK N Router. Well, I launched Netscape which was the only built in browser it had and it came up with the error that it couldn't connect to a network socket. I checked the cable and plugged it into my Macbook and its working fine. So, I was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas. It's running System 7.5.1. Thanks!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Get out of here.

JK:eek:

Seriously though, that thing has internet?:eek:

3. David Schmidt macrumors 6502

David Schmidt

Sure. Check out the control panels, and look for either Network or TCP/IP... it will depend on what networking software had been installed/upgraded on the machine. There was a time when the IP stack needed some hand configuration (before DHCP simplified all that). What network-ish control panels do you have? What do they have configured on them?

4. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Yes, as I remember, the Classic OS wasn't plug and play like OS X was. I had to mess with the TCP/IP panel as well on a powerBook 3400c, and that was running OS 9.

5. br8nd4on thread starter macrumors newbie

MacTCP has two icons Ethernet and EtherTalk. Under, Ethernet/EtherTalk it says Obtain Address: Manually, Server, or Dynamically. I have it set at Manually. It asks for Gateway Address and then under IP Address it asks what class. Then, Net, Subnet, and Node. Underneath that it says Domain Name Server Information. Which you could enter the domain and ip address you wanted to use.

The Gateway Address I set at my Routers Gateway Address but I do not know what to put for Net, Subnet, Node, or Domain Name Server Information.

Now, if I go under Network Control Panel is asks if I want to use AppleTalk connection LocalTalk Built In or EtherTalk. Choosing either one has proofed to make no difference.

TCP/IP will not load it gives an error "This control panel cannot be used because Open Transport is not loaded." I searched Finder for Open Transport and it doesn't appear to be on my Mac anywhere. I wouldn't even know how to get Open Transport on my Mac. All i have is a Macbook and some CD-R's and I'm not sure if the CD inside the Performa could read off them to load that program onto it. Of course, the Open Transport may not be needed.

Thanks for helping me. Hopefully, I can figure this out.

6. raysfan81 macrumors 6502a

raysfan81

7. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

MacTCP does not support the now-ubiquitous DHCP. The only dynamic protocol it supports is the long-obsolete BootP, which it calls "Server". To MacTCP, "Dynamic" means solely dynamically self-assigned (aka the 169... range.)

See http://support.apple.com/kb/TA35601

On a modern network, static is the only way to do it with MacTCP.

See http://www.stanford.edu/group/networking/NetConsult/MacTCP/ for how to configure. Obviously, you'll need to use your own addressing.

You want to select Ethernet, not EtherTalk; as EtherTalk is the protocol to use AppleTalk over Ethernet.

Also, you'll want iCab 2.9.9 for web browsing, as it's the most modern 68k-compatible browser.

8. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I've got a simple solution to your problem…

1. Open a new window with displaying your hard drive.

2. There should be a folder named "Apple Extras"

3. In that folder should be a program named "Network Software Selector"

4. Open that program, and then select "Use OpenTransport Networking"

5. After that restart your Mac.

6. Once the computer is restarted, then go to the Control Panel, where a new item named "TCP/IP" will show up.

7. In the TCP/IP control panel the "Configure" drop down list will let you select from: Manually, Using BootP, Using DHCP (probably what you want), and Using RARP.

8. Restart the Mac once more, and if things go right then you should have a network connection! :cool:

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

This thread is very cool... bringing back from great memories of System 7. "Open Transport" :) Great OS.
    I have nothing to add to what's been said... just that it's cool.

10. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

If you want, I have a 7.6.1 CD lying around somewhere I could send you... its a lot better for "semi" modern use! I also have OS 8 and 8.1 which would install on there as well, but require a lot more RAM!

System 7 Today has some good software resources as well. 7.6.1 will support Flash 5, and I think 8.1 will support up to Flash 7.

Obviously you aren't going to be watching YouTube on it. But some things may work OK with CSS turned off.