Macintosh Plus boot problems

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by HarryWorksInc, Nov 13, 2010.

1. HarryWorksInc macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Hi, I have just pulled my only Macontosh Plus put of the basement and when I plug it in it shows a picture of a Macontosh with a sad face :( and says 040080 under it. Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can fix it or if I can fix it?

2. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I checked it out on my trusty sad Mac cheat sheet:

http://www.mac512.com/macwebpages/sadmac.htm

It appears to be a memory error. Fortunately the memory on a Plus isn't soldered - try cleaning and reseating the SIMMs. If that doesn't work, replacement memory should be easy and cheap to get.

3. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

4. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, your chart helped a lot. I went out to my local hardware store and got a torx screwdriver and Pyred it open, your chart said that it was a mod3 failure at F12, were would that be on the motherboard?

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

The memory should be an obvious SIMM chip (removable) on the motherboard if its a Mac Plus - otherwise you may have a different model...

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Suggest you try cleaning & reseating them all. Be careful removing the modules (4 vertically angled circuit boards). Sample pic only.

Don't bend or force the plastic (sometimes metal) clips on each end too far.

When refitting them, start with the rear-most one. Insert it vertical, then lean it over (45 degrees) and it will click into place again.

7. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

There are no chips that you can take out, the chips are in the motherboard I think.

8. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Close-up pic of the entire motherboard is required. :)

9. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

There should be a bank of 4 SIMM sockets with little cards in them nearly 1 inch tall, with little tiny chips on them,

If you can post pics of your logic/motherboard we may be able to assist.

If it is an older 128k/512k/e they are soldered to the board.

10. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Ive just noticed that he has posted another thread where he claims this to be a "Macintosh Plus 128K" - which Im guessing might mean its a 128k (Perhaps rebadged with a "Plus upgrade" - did those boards have the SIMMS - I thought they did but I may be wrong) - We definitely need pics to figure this one out I think...

11. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Yup. "Pics or it didn't happen" :D

The 128K had soldered 16 x 4164 ICs, the 512K had 16 x 41256 ICs. The genuine MacPlus upgrade came with a new rear case which had "MacPlus" on the rear (and a new front too IIRC) and always had the 30Pin SIMMS. It could be a MacPlus with a 128K or 512K logicboard.

Need Pics of the logicboard. :confused:

12. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Indeed. Although I suspect what we have here is a 128K the OP has mistakenly identified as something its not (ie a Mac Plus)

13. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I have the computer mistaken but I am almost completely sure it is, but heres the motherboard. The motherboard picture i took is here:http://www.social-hub.me/Images/photo.JPG The picture appears to big on macrumors.

14. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

That pic didn't work for me sorry

Back in the day you could buy third party upgrade boards, that bolted on top of the mac 128k's logic board and incrased memory, but they were soldered chips, not in SIMMs

I had a 128k, that had such an upgrade to 512k, a big heavy board added on top of the original logic board.

15. HarryWorksInc, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Change the img tags around the photo to timg instead - the board will scale it down for you.

And yeah, that looks like a 128K mobo to me.

17. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

18. chown33 macrumors 604

Desolder the defective RAM chip and replace it. Assuming the problem is the actual chip. It could also be a problem with one of the circuit traces, or one of the memory driver chips.

19. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, 2 questions though. One is where could I buy a new chip and two how much am I risking seeing as I am an OK solderer not bad but not perfect/

20. MacTech68, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

WOW! A non-upgraded 128K. :eek:

I used to upgrade these to 512K and can tell you that removing the memory ICs isn't something to take lightly. If you really want to get it going, I'd suggest taking to somebody who specializes in it.

The simplest method, is to use very small side cutters and cut the pins of the chip. Then you can remove each pin individually. Clearing each hole to put the new chip in is still difficult.

The chip is a 4164 (yes, the Apple chip is marked 4264) so something like a MC4164. I can't remember the suffix which represents the speed. Something like MC4164-15.

BTW, the highest dated chip I can see in your Pic is 1984 week 35 so the board was made fairly close to that date.

EDIT: Actually the Floppy port filter is marked 8439 so that makes it even later (Week 39 1984)

21. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

If it were me, I'd buy the chips I need and pay a little money to have someone good with a soldering iron do it. If it were a more common board, I might give it a try myself, but I'd hate to have a 'learning experience' on that one.

22. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

Good advice, but were can I find the certain chip?

23. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

no source in mind, but if you pull the info off one of the original chips, any decent electronics/IC store should be able to help.

also found Upgrade info that should be of use. best of luck.

24. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

eBay. Try a search for one of these

TMS4164

Still trying to remember what speed it should be. I think -15 (150ns) should be the one. Might also be good to put a socket in.

For the socket, you should be able to get one from you local electronic hobbyist (if they exist where you are), or do an eBay search for:

16 pin dil socket

Good luck, and be careful with that baby. A non upgraded 128K is pretty rare in my book.

25. HarryWorksInc thread starter macrumors regular

I found one on ebay "RAM TMS4164-15NL TI 16-Pin DIP", I paid for it and it will be here between the 19th - 20th so I will get back to you when or if I get it working.

Thanks for all your help I could have never figured this out without you.