Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j5045096

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
What I find more unbelievable is that you think you know so much about these so called classless women simply because they've got blonde hair and a substantial rack. Might try opening your mind a bit, you may be surprised. Or perhaps you're just having a moment. We can all get our grump on every now and again.

Probably a little bit of both but you reap the consequences for what you sow. These girls that agree to do the car ads get paid--and probably well--but they're selling out. Nevermind the fact that chests that size don't naturally go with the tiny waistlines they have. NO I'M NOT INSINUATING something-they had surgery. And so yeah, it tells me a little about their character. But hey everybody can be bought for a price I guess.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Probably a little bit of both but you reap the consequences for what you sow. These girls that agree to do the car ads get paid--and probably well--but they're selling out. Nevermind the fact that chests that size don't naturally go with the tiny waistlines they have. NO I'M NOT INSINUATING something-they had surgery. And so yeah, it tells me a little about their character. But hey everybody can be bought for a price I guess.

Yes, everyone does have their price. I see no shame in letting someone take some maybe slightly revealing photos and handing over a sizeable cheque for it. And so what if they did have surgery or have to work their asses off to have their figures? Their bodies, their decision. I think people in general could stand to be a bit less judgemental about what other people do with their own lives and bodies.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I'm 28 and married and I'll tell you the funniest one my wife and I observe together. ...going to the mall and walking by Abercrombie. We actually have this in our mall--there are guys who work for Abercrombie who work shirtless in the retail stores. PLUS, if you're a floor above that store and you walk "over it" you can still smell the reeking smell of that nasty cologne they sell. And of course the 30 foot picture spread of the anorexic guy with unnatural abs that adorns the entrance backdrop. It's so ridiculous.

It gets even better when we see the pack of 7th grade girls walk out of the store and stare and giggle at each other in front of the shirtless guys. Kid you not and we have two girls (2 1/2 and 5 months) and my first comment is that I'll lock them in their room til they're 34 before I'll ever let them in a store like that. Plus the fact that I can't tell which half of the store is girls and which is guys.

Hollister is probably the same way but I still can't figure out where the entrance is so I've never been inside.
My daughter and I enjoy shopping in those stores together. I guess I'm just a dirty old lady.:p

You have a little living to do yet. ;)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
And so what if they did have surgery or have to work their asses off to have their figures? Their bodies, their decision. I think people in general could stand to be a bit less judgemental about what other people do with their own lives and bodies.

Given the increasing problem of obesity in the US (including me), we could all do with a little more ass-working, me thinks.

I guess I'm just a dirty old lady.:p

QFT. Do tell! :)

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000

Yes, because plastic surgery= poor character.

Get over yourself. Everyone needs money. If I were an attractive DD chested blonde bombshell, I'd let dirty old men stare at me for hours if I got paid the way they do.

Its called the need to survive and using what you have.

Also, you don't know how they were born. I know girls with DDs and a tiny waist and they have never had surgery.

j5045096

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Back to the original point of all this: I was just surprised to see that ad on the back of MacLife. Perceive it as judgmental - that's fine; to each his own opinion - just found it to make MacMall seem like a less respectable company and tasteless for MacLife to put it on the back. That's all.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Back to the original point of all this: I was just surprised to see that ad on the back of MacLife. Perceive it as judgmental - that's fine; to each his own opinion - just found it to make MacMall seem like a less respectable company and tasteless for MacLife to put it on the back. That's all.
Would you have been less judgmental had it been inside instead? Just curious.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000

Less respectable for putting a sexy woman on their ad. Yeah. Ok. :rolleyes: Maybe they should have put a sweaty older gentleman on it looking seductively into your eyes. Maybe that would have got you going.

Side note: The advertisement worked. You looked at it and got everyone else to look at it. Good job advertising dept! ;)

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
For the record, i didn't mention anyone specific in my post that got deleted, the OP can offend blondes with big racks because she is a woman I guess. iBlue just replies, but comment about fat women because I am male, gets your post deleted. This whole thread should have been deleted if my post was deleted. sigh.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Less respectable for putting a sexy woman on their ad. Yeah. Ok. :rolleyes: Maybe they should have put a sweaty older gentleman on it looking seductively into your eyes. Maybe that would have got you going.
I agree. As long as she is attractive I have no problem with it. And I like the pose, it makes me think of having fun, which is the idea. She could take me out anytime.:D

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
For the record, i didn't mention anyone specific in my post that got deleted, the OP can offend blondes with big racks because she is a woman I guess. iBlue just replies, but comment about fat women because I am male, gets your post deleted. This whole thread should have been deleted if my post was deleted. sigh.

I deleted it because it was a vague attack on fat women being jealous about fit women, which was easily construed as you alluding to the OP as a fat woman. Overall, what did it add to the conversation about MacLife or MacMall or how sex does or doesn't sell?

If you have a problem with moderation, please use the Contact Us form rather than complaining about it in a thread.

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Who you callin old? I can call myself old, you can not.:cool:;) (I'm 42, I'm not dead.:rolleyes:)

You are a spry young women and you can run circles around the girl in the MacMall ad. Your youth is only surpased by your beauty and grace.

If you have a problem with moderation, please use the Contact Us form rather than complaining about it in a thread.

I have a problem with you using all the toilet paper. There is never any left. :mad: FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO PLAY WITH!

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
If I were an attractive DD chested blonde bombshell, I'd let dirty old men stare at me for hours if I got paid the way they do.

Why not? It's going to happen anyway. You may as well have these people pay you. ;)

All the rage coming from the OP sounds mostly to do with self-righteousness more than any consideration for a person's need to survive, or natural appreciation of young, beautiful faces and bodies.

This type of ad is used because it works better than using unattractive people doing unattractive things. This is true because people like attractive people more than unattractive people. Surely you can understand why an advertisement would use a younger, more beautiful person in their ad, even if he/she is doing something unrealistic. :confused:

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
The OP doesn't like blondes with DD's because he would rather look at a fat man on the back of a magazine. Thats what I got out of this thread.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hmm.. do you really see it as rage? Rage is a bit of a strong word, no?

Again, I say the reasoning (wrong or right) is because of the economy and the willingness to do whatever you need to do to sell a product.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
I think that the model in the ad is probably very smart and maybe even putting herself through college. Also, it is hardly an ad that she should be ashamed of. I have seen ads that, in my opinion, were degrading to women, but this is not one of them.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I think that the model in the ad is probably very smart and maybe even putting herself through college. Also, it is hardly an ad that she should be ashamed of. I have seen ads that, in my opinion, were degrading to women, but this is not one of them.

I'm curious, why is it alright, and not degrading to men for a guy to stand in Abercrombie with his shirt off, but not ok for a girl to stand in Abercrombie in a bikini?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Again, I say the reasoning (wrong or right) is because of the economy and the willingness to do whatever you need to do to sell a product.

Perhaps, but this type of ad hasn't been limited to this economy. Even in a good economy, they would use attractive people posing with a product in an unnatural way to sell a product.

I don't know if the style of the ads has changed, but if anything, I have noticed that ads are using the more traditional 1980s and early 1990s method of offering good prices and value for money rather than desirability or status.

j5045096

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007

I did make a judgment on the girls in the car ads which wasn't exactly fair; i'll own up to that. I did not however pass judgment on the girl in the ad, but rather MacMall. She was made to look more like an object, not a person, had nothing to do with the Macs they sell. My point was that no person, guy or girl, posing/dressed/acting like that had anything to do with the ad and so I thought the ad was tasteless. I don't represent the majority apparently and that's okay. Just sharing an opinion.

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
what did it add to the conversation about MacLife or MacMall or how sex does or doesn't sell?

If you think this thread is about those three things you are naive. It's about jealousy. Read the first post again. You don't need a degree in psychology, just take PSY 100.

j5045096

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I don't know if the style of the ads has changed, but if anything, I have noticed that ads are using the more traditional 1980s and early 1990s method of offering good prices and value for money rather than desirability or status.

I kind of agree with this. The ads these days aren't clever or convincing for the most part. The I'm a Mac/PC ads are awesome - i really do think they have done a great job on these. The I'm a PC counterparts seem cheap and confusing (go figure) and sure I'm a little biased but Apple seems to do advertising really well. But in general if a company stopped the scheming in their ads and just said "this is what we sell, why we sell it and why we think you should buy ours over theirs" I'd listen far more intently.

The CEO of Sprint has done a pretty good job with that - I still wouldn't switch to Sprint but at least I respect their commercials more than the stupid AT&T rollover minute ads or "Can You Hear Me Now" guy.

Publix has awesome ads - they seem to get the point across really well. The Toyota ones where the guy talks about his Camry and how everybody advertises being like a Camry and it got him thinking: "why not just buy the camry?" - that's a great ad too.

SO I guess for me it's a CONTRAST when I see the ad in MacMall compared to what good advertising is and how it represents a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.