Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j5045096

Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
And it's only about catching the eye, hoping you'll stop for just a second to consider their ad. Which you did. Negatively, but it worked!

It's like email spam for your eyeballs.

Well said; you're dead on. ...and when I consider it logically, it's tasteless. Just like e-mail spam that we all get. I consider the people who send that MOST of that stuff to be scumbags.

redwarrior

macrumors 603
Apr 7, 2008
in the Dawg house
Probably the same one who taught you to be self-righteous back...which is what you're doing. We only get offended out of our own self-righteousness. I'll admit to mine in these areas; how about you?

And my self-righteousness probably came from watching a hard working mom and dad not just hand things to us as kids but taught us to work for it and buy what you can afford (sound like a problem in our country?).
Wow, you're over the top. You should relax.:rolleyes:

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
Well said; you're dead on. ...and when I consider it logically, it's tasteless. Just like e-mail spam that we all get. I consider the people who send that MOST of that stuff to be scumbags.

Scum bags for trying to make money?
Sure its annoying, but mostly harmless.
The ones that try and give you viruses? Yes, scumbags.
Sending you an email about male enhancement? No, just trying to make it in this economy. They arent scumbags.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
To be fair, I don't think the target is exclusively men.
There is the potential group of "I wish I looked like that" and to a lesser extent, the "I look hot like that" ad-identifying women too.
But it's mostly men.

And it's only about catching the eye, hoping you'll stop for just a second to consider their ad. Which you did. Negatively, but it worked!

It's like email spam for your eyeballs.

Totally. Pissing people off is a fabulous form of advertising. Remember that bit from the Howard Stern movie where they discussed ratings. The average Stern lover listened for 2 hours, the average hater listened for 3 (or something like that). People, for whatever reason, love to get wound up.

We're humans, we tend to take notice of other humans. It may not even be so sinister.

The ad works one way or another.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Ha, Ha

I am late to this party, but all I can say is... I can't believe this is even a thread

Carry on

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

This ad is tame compared to many. It's not tasteless at all. If this ad bothers you so much, there are other places in the world to live, where women are covered from head to toe. I hear their immigration policies are fairly relaxed too.

Diane2boys

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009

that's what ads are. they are to get your attention to sell something. period. Have you ever paid attention to ads? Look at the famous federal express commercials, or the "where's the beef?", or the pizza one where the guy says "have you ever heard of origami?" Most of the most famous commercials, hardly even mention the product!

it's about catching our attention....call it spam, but that's what it has been for years...long before "spam" was anything more than some crap in a can.....

Use to be prescription meds were only peddled to doctors. The pharmaceutical HAD to rely on the doctor willing to take the chance to use his product. One day some brilliant advertiser changed that and started peddling the product right to the consumer! It was BRILLIANT!

It was advertising.......

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I hate to say it, but I think maybe this is as far as we can go. It's devolved (as most things do) into too much grumpiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.