Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today seeded the fourth beta of an upcoming macOS Sierra 10.12.4 update to developers, one week after seeding the third macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta and over a month after releasing macOS Sierra 10.12.3.

The fourth macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta is available for download through the Apple Developer Center or the software update mechanism in the Mac App Store for those who have previously installed a beta.

macOS-10.12.4-beta-800x500.jpg

macOS Sierra 10.12.4 brings iOS's Night Shift mode to the Mac for the first time. First introduced on iOS devices with iOS 9.3, Night Shift is designed to gradually shift the display of a device from blue to yellow, cutting down on exposure to blue light. Blue light is said to disrupt the circadian rhythm and is believed to interrupt sleeping patterns.

Night Shift can be activated through the Displays section of System Preferences, where a setting to have it come on at sunset and turn off at sunrise is available. Night Shift can also be toggled on manually through the Notification Center or via Siri.

The 10.12.4 update focuses mainly on Night Shift, but also includes dictation support for Shanghainese, cricket scores for Siri, improved PDFKit APIs, and iCloud Analytics options.

Update: Apple has seeded the fourth macOS Sierra 10.12.4 beta to public beta testers.

Article Link: Apple Seeds Fourth macOS Sierra 10.12.4 Beta to Developers and Public Beta Testers

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I rarely work on my computer at night or early in the morning, and I have flux, so... meh. I have thought 12.3 hasn't been good a memory management, though. Seems to suck up my RAM more than before.

Reactions: kironin

HBX

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Portland, Oregon
I rarely work on my computer at night or early in the morning, and I have flux, so... meh. I have thought 12.3 hasn't been good a memory management, though. Seems to suck up my RAM more than before.
I have to agree WindowServer has become a memory hog. KernelTask is also an issue.

MACRM32

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2012
Portugal

I tried the last beta and actually prefer NightShift over f.lux.

I don't know specifics, but it seems to handle color correction better, not making the screen seem as yellowish (even though it does reduce blue light, playing with the slider is evidence of it).

Reactions: DopamineHigh

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
This is so weird that Apple is not releasing any bug fixes for the MacBook Pro, what happen to all the software updates to enhance and make the MacBook Pro work more efficiently?

Reactions: Brian Clifford

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I hate night shift on my phone, never mind the computer. imo, it seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Me too, I don't get f.lux nor nightshift, colours are all off, don't want to surf the web with less than natural colours.

Think I got new firmware on my 2012 MBP, it just restarted when installing.

Edit: Yup, both my 2012 MBP and Mac Mini got a firmware update.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I hate night shift on my phone, never mind the computer. imo, it seems like a solution in search of a problem.
Me too, I don't get f.lux nor nightshift, colours are all off, don't want to surf the web with less than natural colours.

It's something that helps some to a noticeable degree, while just making things a bit easier for the eyes when it comes to to others. And of course there are others still that don't really get much from it one way or another or don't even want/like it. The good thing is that things of this nature are purely optional, so it kind of works out that way.
[doublepost=1488224919][/doublepost]
Isn't this video and the one for iOS ones that MR has posted before? I could have sworn these are repeats.
I think they include the video for those who might not really have read up much about the previous betas and just come across a particular beta article so that way they can see what's new when it comes to betas/release for that particular iOS version.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I have to agree WindowServer has become a memory hog. KernelTask is also an issue.
I have 5 tabs open on Safari, Mail, Pages with no doc loaded, Scrivener with no doc, Messages, Activity Monitor, and Reminders open. kernel task is 1.35 GB and WindowServer 263 MB. Really it's Safari: 2.5 GB.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011

Firmware for what?

Firebrand

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
(Screen) Fade 2 Black feature (works in tandem with iWatch): “Stress level too high, take a 15-min break from work.”

Hey boss, but Dr. Siri said...

:cool:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Firmware for what?

Simplest way to tell you what firmware is, bios on Windows computers is Firmware.
Go to "About My Mac", next click "System report", you'll see "Boot Rom version" there, that's your firmware.
Without Firmware your computer won't even start up.
It controls all the hardware and loads the OS, this is not the whole story but do some research please.

DopamineHigh

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2017
Awesome, gave some feedback on the second build about the iTunes cursor occasionally missing in the TouchBar's scrubber. Looks like they got it fixed.

My MBP w/ TouchBar still occasionally makes a popping noise. It's random and I haven't been able narrow down the cause. This popping noise started happening to my machine after the 3rd beta seed. I sent this feedback to Apple.
[doublepost=1488229704][/doublepost]
we desperately need bug fixes. MacOS is buggy as heck especially safari and especially with the new macbook pros

Hey, I got the new MBP too. Can you give a list of bugs you've encountered? I haven't noticed any with Safari.
[doublepost=1488229798][/doublepost]

Shame, one of the reasons I used to jailbreak my iPhone was to install f.lux. Apple's integraition is much better than f.lux. It really does help with the sleep circulation and it's easier on the eyes for me.

Reactions: celaurie

mtsmike

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Is there ever going to be any significant rumor or rumors related to new/updated mac desktops? Seems like its been so long since I have seen anything significant, other than software related stuff. There is rumor after rumor about everything else Apple except for desktop macs. I feel like this segment of mac has just dropped off the face of earth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.