macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by redheeler, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. L Caputo macrumors regular

L Caputo

Have had my MacPro 3.1 on Sierra for about a year and just upgraded to High Sierra Public Beta on another partition and only noticed after reading your post the CD/ DVD tray was not opening even though you can hear it try, I hardly use CD/ DVDs now, it would not open by pressing the small eject button on the front either. So I rebooted to a Mavericks partition, and the tray would open and close no problem, same with my El Capitan partition. However on rebooting to Sierra and then High Sierra the tray will now open and close without problems, curious.

2. mortographer macrumors newbie

I migrated my Data to a new Mac, which is officially supported. But now, with SIP enabled on the new machine, I get this message.
    How ist it possible, to completely remove the patch?

Regards
    Ben

3. lumos macrumors newbie

lumos

Sorry for the late replay.

I have tried to eject with drutil eject and I have the same problem.
    First run does not eject (but the motor run), second run the tray eject correctly,
    This problem happen when I wake up the Mac Pro after many hours of sleep.

On El Capitan there is no problems.

4. BananaOS, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017

BananaOS macrumors newbie

BananaOS

I'm running Sierra on my MacPro 3,1 thanks to dosdude's patch tool. Everything is working fine with the exception of the two step authentication system. Whenever my MacPro generates the 6-number apple verification code, the resulting code isn't accepted and seems invalid. Does anyone know how to fix this?

[When using the code generated by my iPhone I have no troubles, it's only when I allow and use the MacPro generated 6-number code I run into problems]

[​IMG]

5. apriliars3 macrumors member

apriliars3

Have you tried to write your iCloud password + your verification code?

For example, my iCloud password is macossierra and the verification code is 681325 and I put my new password as macossierra681325 and that´s all.

6. BananaOS macrumors newbie

BananaOS

@apriliars3, I have updated my question to make my problem more clear. The 6-number apple verification code generated by my MacPro is the problem here, when I use the code generated by my iPhone I have no problem at all.

7. shaocaholica macrumors member

shaocaholica

I have a 15" MBP 4.1 (early 2008). I take it the kext inject to get wifi working with BCM4321 is a valid(and stable?) solution?

Does anyone know if it also works with High Sierra?

8. olasnick macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have the same problem of the brightness control doesn't work on my iMac early 2009 (9,1)

Did you find a solution ?

Thanks ;)

9. dpandri macrumors newbie

dpandri

Hi all good people, new to this thread and i really needed a quick answer without browsing through 192pages to try finding the answer :eek:.

Has anyone installed Sierra on a Macbook Pro 17" mid-2009 2,8Ghz (MacbookPro 5,2)? I am thinking of installing on my machine as I've just upgraded to the max 8GB RAM.

Is there any problem you've encountered as of now? The impact on battery life & performance?
    Mainly using my macbook for multimedia producing/editing (PS, AI, Logic Pro X, FCP X).

I've been staying on Mavericks for so long due to concerns of performance issue on newer macOS, but my existing apps updates kinda pushing me to the need of upgrading to at least El-Cap. :(

10. Luigi222 macrumors member

Hi there, I have that exact same model and everything works perfect with @dosdude1 patch, just go to his page and follow his instructions, updates script from Czo also works like a charm.

If you upgraded the ram I suggest you also put in an SSD, that's the setup that I have and it preforms beautifully.

11. dpandri, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017

dpandri macrumors newbie

dpandri

Hi @Luigi222 , thanks for the help!
    Yup, It has got SSD in it as well.

Any increase/decrease of performance and battery life you've noticed comparing to older macOS? Sorry for asking as I would much prefer having quicker performance instead of sluggy new macOS on our older machine.

I hope the Expresscard slot is still supported on Sierra?

12. Luigi222 macrumors member

I haven’t tested the slot card my self but I think It works fine...

Batery life is the same and performance is better then el capitan without a doubt! Make the update to sierra you won’t be sorry!

13. Phil T macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009) using Sierra for about a year now. Everything works great using Dosdude's USB instructions. I am thinking about getting a SSD.

What is the best way to install the Sierra OS on this new drive?

1. Cone the old drive?
    or
    2. Install the OS from scratch using the original disks I have. Then upgrading along the way until I can use Dosdude's USB instructions to get Sierra on the new drive and restoring everything else from the Time Capsule?

I have replaced the HDD in this computer before using method #2. It seems like cloning would be easier.

Recommendations for hopefully free or cheep cloning software? Anything I need to watch out for? I am not as tech savy as the rest of you but usually do OK if the instructions are clear.

Thanks!

14. dpandri macrumors newbie

dpandri

Cool! Will do it soon. Thanks again @Luigi222

15. shaocaholica macrumors member

shaocaholica

Got Sierra working on a Early 2008 MBP using dosdude patcher and swapping the wifi card with a BCM94322.

16. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Expresscard slot works fine on the 2008 17" MBP on Sierra, so I'd imagine the 2009 should be fine. :) (I have a USB 3.0 card in there).

17. dpandri macrumors newbie

dpandri

Cool! Thanks a lot! What a huge relief to know that :D

18. shaocaholica macrumors member

shaocaholica

Which card? Did you have to install 3rd party drivers?

19. boesartig macrumors newbie

Dosdude's patch worked fine for my MB 5,1 including updating from 10.12.4 to 10.12.5. Thanks very much for this!

However, after a fresh reinstall with 10.12.5, no luck. After installation I reboot, patch, reboot and get the "stop road sign".

Any ideas, is compatibility lacking for direct 10.12.5 installs? -no_compat_check is set in com.apple.Boot.plist.

20. lortloaf macrumors newbie

lortloaf

howdy ya'll. i posted a thread (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/late-2008-mbp-not-swapping-to-discrete-graphics.2038573/) a couple months ago and seems i got no reply, so thought i'd plop it directly into this thread in hopes that maybe someone here might be able to help?

tldr of the matter: the discrete gpu on my late 2008 mbp seems to never spring into action under sierra, and using something like gfxcardstatus to force the swap causes the laptop to freeze completely.

assumptions i am making: the gpu is just not supported by any drivers sierra installs, hence the freezing.
    questions i am asking: anyone been able to fix this?

cheers!

21. boesartig, Jul 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

boesartig macrumors newbie

Well, this is weird. I downloaded Dosdudes 10.12.4 and installed + patched again. I get the forbidden sign and in verbose mode it states "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform!".

However, this happens after I patched using the patch tool. Any information on how to examine what's the problem here? SIP is disabled and I'm using Sierra Patcher 4.2.7.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 ---
    Problem solved, MacBook was in a loop booting into rescue mode. Reset PVRAM helped.

22. early2008macbookpro, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017

early2008macbookpro macrumors newbie

Thought I walked into a fatal mistake, downloaded and installed 10.12.5 from the App store. After installing the 10.12.5 update, I then soon discovered my early 2008 Macbook-Pro was lacking a functional ambient light sensor and keyboard light. Two days later I soon got the bright idea to Run the 'MacOS Sierra patcher' well, I actually ran the updated version 'Post Install" from the terminal. It was quite easy! especially after two days of attempting to fix this since 10.12.5 shut off my recovery partition and I was looking at a complete total install from scratch. Terminal; Elevated privileges-drag over 'Post install' from folder to terminal, hit enter and up comes the option install menu. I suppose this works on the previous Sierra updates as well. Staying at 10.12.5 until this Machine decides to leave me. Many thanks to everyone!!!

23. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

MacPro 3,1 running Sierra 10.12.5, installed using dosdudes Sierra patch tool.
    Sorry to drag this up, but I need a bit of confirmation.
    Used the above app to switch catalogs, will this allow me to safely upgrade to 10.12.6 when it comes available?

24. maculateConception macrumors 6502

maculateConception

Hi Luigi, I also have a mid-2009 MBP (13 inch), and am considering upgrading to Sierra. Did your factory Wi-Fi card work as is ? Or did it need upgrading as well ? From what you said, it sounds like it did, but I want to make sure, before I take the plunge.

Thanks !

25. apriliars3 macrumors member

apriliars3

macOS 10.12.6 available

How can download it from Mac Store?

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.