macOS 10.12 Sierra Unsupported Macs Thread

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

trifero

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2009
I have used Brightness Slider in the past but now use Monitor Control:

See this thread:

Available here:

Lou
Does it work with the internal display?

Reactions: TimothyR734

mistermacs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014

jackoverfull

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I noticed I didn't get any security updates lately. Sierra is only 3 years old, shouldn't OS be supported at least 5 year?

Microsoft supports Windows up to 10 years!
hi all,

i've read through a few pages of this thread, but was hoping you wouldn't mind clarifying something for me. i've upgraded my iMac 2008 early 20" to sierra using dosdude's amazing patch, and of course, lost wifi

i've been trying to locate the correct wifi card online; either Atheros AR5BXB112 or BCM4322, but i keep finding ones for half minis. i'm not particularly techy...is that for laptop? most of these are overseas purchases with high international shipping so i don't want to accidentally purchase something i can't use.

are there alternative cards i could also use that you'd recommend?

thanks in advance, guys
Since it’s an iMac I would just buy a WiFi repeater or router, connect it to my network and then to the iMac via Ethernet. Much easier and probably cheaper too.

howiest

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2015
Left Coast
hi all,

i've read through a few pages of this thread, but was hoping you wouldn't mind clarifying something for me. i've upgraded my iMac 2008 early 20" to sierra using dosdude's amazing patch, and of course, lost wifi

i've been trying to locate the correct wifi card online; either Atheros AR5BXB112 or BCM4322, but i keep finding ones for half minis. i'm not particularly techy...is that for laptop? most of these are overseas purchases with high international shipping so i don't want to accidentally purchase something i can't use.

thanks in advance, guys
If possible just run an ethernet cable from your router to your iMac and save the cost & hassle of changing out the wi-fi card. Better network performance and you'll save money too.

I installed a compatible wi-fi card in my MacPro (running Mojave) but I connect via ethernet and my speed tests are excellent. Why use wi-fi on desktop machines if you don't have to?

I realize it depends on the logistics of your dwelling (I live in a 2 bedroom condo so it was easy) but wired ethernet is far superior to wi-fi if you can arrange it.

mistermacs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
@howiest and @jackoverfull thanks for the suggestions. i wasn't too worried about the installation, but the price and shipping made me a little hesitant

i did run my imac to ethernet plugged into my laptop (running off wifi) to test it and the wifi was patchy (australian broadband and wifi is not exactly world standard) but worked more or less. my 5g modem is on the other side of the house so i can't run directly from that, but a wifi repeater would be a great solution.

thanks again!

MacBH928

macrumors 601
May 17, 2008
hi all,

thanks in advance, guys
You can use powerline, (router->ethernet-> electricity) then where you imac is (electricity->ethernet->imac). Go amazon.com and search for Powerline.
You can also use something like this which basically takes a wireless signal and convert it to ethernet signal. Note I did not use so I can't recommend it and I am not sure if it will work with your mac.

mistermacs

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
i didn't even know powerlines were a thing. the things i'm learning here. i'm ging to test out the circuits in the apartment to make sure the powerpoints in the different rooms are on the same leg. but that's a great suggestion

Status
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.