macOS 10.14.4 Beta Includes Touch ID Safari AutoFill Feature

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The macOS 10.14.4 update, currently available to developers, introduces a new AutoFill feature designed for Touch ID-equipped MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models.

As iMore points out, in the Touch ID section of the Settings app on macOS 10.14.4, there's a new "Safari AutoFill" listing you can enable.

[​IMG]
    Image via iMore​

With Safari AutoFill enabled for Touch ID, you can place a finger on the Touch ID home button to automatically fill in web form content.

Right now, you can use AutoFill to enter usernames, passwords, addresses, phone numbers, and credit cards, and more right into web pages, but you generally have to click into a form and then start typing before the AutoFill option comes up.

It sounds like the new Touch ID Safari AutoFill feature will streamline the process, filling forms with a touch.

macOS 10.14.4 also expands Apple News to Canada and it introduces automatic dark mode themes for websites, so if you have Dark Mode enabled and visit a website that has a dark theme available, it will be activated automatically.

Article Link: macOS 10.14.4 Beta Includes Touch ID Safari AutoFill Feature

2. QandnotU macrumors newbie

QandnotU

Not quite sure of the security or cost ramifications, but would love to see Touch ID added to their desktop keyboard. Face ID built into an iMac would be great, but a keyboard solution could bring new technology to an older computer.

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

Old computers don't have the Secure Enclave necessary for this technology.
    It would also cheapen the overall experience.

4. frozen220 macrumors member

The Secure Enclave would be built into the keyboard, I’m sure, if they ever did this.

5. newyorksole macrumors 68040

I feel like they could incorporate it into the power button on the iMac.

6. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

Finally. Now let the website setup a secure connection the enclave for banking etc.

7. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

I'm not sure of how feasible this idea is, but for the iMac / Mac mini / Mac Pro, would it be possible for the Secure Enclave to be built along with the Touch ID sensor in the wireless keyboard? The keyboard would have to be paired only to one Mac, but could communicate a simple Yes or No response when it scans for a fingerprint match. It seems cumbersome to have to turn the desktop or reach around the back each time you want to use Touch ID.

8. markaceto macrumors member

markaceto

They can't even ship a backlit wireless keyboard, let alone change the finish to space gray, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Touch ID.

9. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

That wouldn't work.

10. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Why can't I use Touch ID from my iPhone 7+ to validate a purchase on my MBP? And I thought Apple was killing off Touch ID.

11. MrGuder macrumors 68030

I thought it was all about Facial Recognition now? I love Touch ID so fast one of the reasons I won’t give up my iPhone 6s.

12. subjonas macrumors 68000

They didn’t say that in so many words.
    https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/craig-federighi-addresses-face-id-concerns/
    Federighi “confirmed that Apple believes Face ID is the future of biometric authentication, with the caveat that there are settings where different biometric techniques or combinations of biometrics could make sense.”
    A bit of a mixed message.

13. redpandadev macrumors regular

TouchID won't be added without a Secure Enclave processor AKA a T2 chip (or newer). That would effectively make such a device a rather powerful keyboard. It would also be expensive and likely cause battery life and heat issues. I think you're far more likely to see FaceID included in a future iMac release, so that way all of the hardware can be embedded in the computer rather than a peripheral.

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

That's what I was going to say. The iMac keyboard is still not even backlit. If they're not even willing to put a backlight in the keyboard, I don't think they're going to be including Touch ID any time soon.

FaceID makes more sense in the iMac.

15. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

Face ID would make so much more sense on a Mac than Touch ID. It would be fast and seamless!

16. jObooW macrumors member

This feature has been available in the Safari Technology Preview for months already.

17. fokmik macrumors 68040

with faceID in these situations you would never have to move your arm anymore, total laziness

18. NightFox macrumors 68020

NightFox

19. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

It would negate the reason to buy an entirely new computer, so likely not happening any time soon.

20. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

Maybe Microsoft has overlapping patents with it's Hello Windows feature? Just a guess, but I'm with you. I like Face ID on my iPad but it makes the most sense on a computer, can't understand why it didn't start there, must less why it isn't on all Apple computers with Webcams.

21. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

Well, to be fair Face ID isn’t possible with just a webcam. It requires a specialized infra-red sensor.

If it was camera based, it would be easy to fool it with a photo.

22. truthertech macrumors 68000

Touch ID on a keyboard would be great for the tens of millions of existing Macs already in the wild.

23. Sadman88 macrumors newbie

Sadman88

Face ID on the Mac would be fantastic! Love the AutoFill with Face ID on my XS Max.

24. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Since getting an XR and using Face ID, I very much prefer it over Touch ID. Never thought I'd feel that way, but it's so transparent in term so using the device. I'm already looking at it, and it magically authenticates.

25. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I just want a way to turn off Safari auto-generating passwords when I register for things!