macOS 10.14.4 Beta Includes Touch ID Safari AutoFill Feature

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 25, 2019.

1. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Touch ID is not outdated technology. It's just a different, secure way to authenticate. They are phasing it out on their phones in order to have an "all screen" experience. Macs are different devices. Hands are on the keyboards all the time, so Touch ID is reasonable there.

But that said, I think Face ID on Macs makes perfect sense, until people start getting paranoid and taping over the camera area.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2019 ---
    Why? If you're set up properly, that generated password gets stored into iCloud Keychain, and you never need to worry about it again. It's magically available on all of your Apple devices. Grab your phone and you can log into that same website without knowing the password. The days of users choosing their own passwords is behind us.

And you do have control over this new feature. It's entirely optional.

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

With billions of windows device out there, I still prefer choosing my own password over safari suggested ones. Heck, I am still struggling to type my Adobe account password generated by safari. Not to mention the AutoFill is still pretty limited, especially when app wants you to fill the password, you still need to type it.
    Maybe one day we will no longer need to use any password at all, but that day won’t come anytime soon.

3. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

That's not very handy because it's on the back on all desktop Macs. Very hard to reach.

But I'll never use this anyway unless they make it cross platform. I have computers and devices with every major OS under the sun :)
    I don't know... Webauthn is getting there pretty rapidly now. And things like this prove that the password really has to be retired sooner rather than later.
    A secure enclave doesn't have to cost that much. T2 is only that expensive because it does a lot more than just being a secure enclave.

A basic smartcard costs 5-10$ and contains a secure enclave.

4. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Plus if someone figure out the rand seed generator for Safari they might be able to recreate them.

5. Victor Mortimer macrumors regular

Victor Mortimer

What do you mean "until"? I'd say 60% of the iMac and MacBook cameras I see are taped over now, which is lower than the percentage of PC laptop cameras I see taped, that's nearly 100%. But that Mac percentage would quickly jump to 90% if there was an always-on camera.

I'm surprised it's not happened on the iPhones more, people seem to treat the phone differently than the computer.

And it's a terrible idea on the computer. Think about what a bit of malicious code could do with Face ID and your credit card. No need to convince you to send the Nigerian prince money, just look at your screen and it's already gone. Touch ID at least requires something intentional, with Face ID you just have to look at it, and the code can fake the clicks through whatever "Yes, I meant that" dialog pops up.

6. eeboarder macrumors member

eeboarder

Love the Touch ID on my MBP. I’ll be looking forward to this.

7. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

So would just putting your finger on any iOS device plugged into your Mac. There’s a fingerprint scanner right there on every device. Hell you shouldn’t even need to plug it in. Same way Apple uses two factor authentication to confirm on your other devices you’re logged into that you’re about to do something major, your Mac could just as well push a signal to your iOS devices to get ready for a fingerprint (or face, if you have one of these things) and you simply perform your monkey dance for it, satisfy iOS, and iOS relays its satisfaction to the requesting Mac, and there you have it. No complicated keyboards, no redesigning the iMac with more costly hardware in it, just cheap and easily implemented platform-wide.

8. Emanuel Rodriguez macrumors member

Emanuel Rodriguez

Okay then, I'll just make a simple device which sends an identical "I'm satisfied" message, and lets me into your MacBook Pro.

The security implications of such a technology would be highly significant. Not impossible to implement, but it most definitely adds a huge, obvious target for hackers. I wouldn't even tempt that sort of fate, personally.

9. truthertech macrumors 68000

While I assume your solution is technically feasible, and indeed I think it's already done for some web purchases authentication isn't it? I think you're missing a key aspect of Apple's magic with authentication- simplicity and convenience.

When I sit down to my iMac ,I often don't have my iPhone with me, so your solution would be very inconvenient to always have to have your iOS device with your Mac (and not feasible for people, undoubtedly a minority, of Mac owners who don't have an iOS device). Folks also don't want to have to reach for their iOS device when they need to authenticate their ID; they simply want to move their finger over to that Touch ID sensor on a keyboard. Face ID is wonderful because you don't have to think about it, but in the meantime, Touch ID on a keyboard would be a huge hit. And if Apple would couple it with backlit keys, it would sell bigly.

10. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

You have a point there, but for the moment, I still prefer choosing my own passwords. Also, to turn it off, it requires you to turn off auto-filling usernames/passwords completely, whereas I just won't the auto-generating feature to stop popping up every time I register for something.

11. AppleMad98004 macrumors 6502

Older computers don't have the T1/2 chips to support the secure enclave technology.

12. lederermc macrumors 6502

lederermc

I think there is space for Apple to sell both Face and Touch-ID. Regardless, I do "love" my Face-ID iPhoneX* a bit more than I loved my iPhone6s.

13. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that Windows Hello does something similar. I don’t know. I’m just guessing based on Apples reticence and the convoluted patent situation. Microsoft would need to be building a system to have an enforceable patent.

14. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

I think it’s more to do with Apple’s slow progress on the Mac side. It took a few years before Touch ID made it from the iPhone to the Mac. Maybe Face ID will be the same.

15. gnomeisland macrumors 6502a

Well aware of that, thanks. That was kind of my point. Microsoft obviously doesn't own patents on webcam in laptops. I was speculating that they might own patent on using IR scanners to verify faces on a laptop since I've been told Windows Hello does that. Again, speculation. If you don't like it, refute it with relevant data or let it go.

The two cogent arguments against FaceID in MacBooks&iMacs that I've heard recently are that the Intel chips just don't have the neural/ML silicon (but the T2 or a similar variant could address that) and that people are (justifiably) paranoid about laptop webcams and rat malware—in other words, FaceID for you laptop could be too effective/frictionless and therefore a liability if someone seized control of computer without you knowing it and started using your face to authorize malicious actions.