Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
When looking for the icon to screenshot for you, I found I had to do some more digging.

DVD player is now located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications/.
I believe the icon is new, but I can't say I've looked at the app or used the app in many many years.

Attached is a screenshot of the about screen from DVD player. The DVD disc is the icon for the actual app.
View attachment 764608

Thanks for the link to find the 10.14 DVD Player!

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Thanks for the link to find the 10.14 DVD Player!
This same folder is where other (what I consider essential) utilities have gone to live in prior versions of macOS. Things like Directory Utility, Network Utility, and Wireless Diagnostics. I just put links to them back into the Utilities folder.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
When I right click the image and select "Share" > Add image to Photos", the Photos icon on the dock bounces a couple of times but the app doesn't launch.

Yup thats what I used to get. Not sure what is happening. I even checked Image Capture utility

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Has anyone made a clean install using APFS encrypted?

How is the boot?

Still slow?
I didn't do a clean install but the boot is clearly faster than HS.
[doublepost=1539442843][/doublepost]
You used to be able to right click an image and "Add image to Photos", which would silently add the image to the Photos app. Now it launches Photos every single time, which is super annoying. Anyway to turn this off?

Also for embedded YouTube videos on a webpage you used to be able to right click twice on it, and it would show a Picture in Picture pop out option, this is now gone. Anyway to get it back?
I can still get to picture in picture that way. You should try the PiPifier Safari Extension. It works on a lot of websites that don't have native PiP buttons.

jozero

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2009
I didn't do a clean install but the boot is clearly faster than HS.
[doublepost=1539442843][/doublepost]
I can still get to picture in picture that way. You should try the PiPifier Safari Extension. It works on a lot of websites that don't have native PiP buttons.

Uh interesting. I had PiPifier before, but the update to Safari marked it as not compatible. Based on your reply I installed it again, and it works! Thanks!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Apple changes word "Trash" to "Bin" everywhere.. Even in Mail... I just got use to the word "Trash" and they pulled a switch-a-roo.

Reactions: martyjmclean

TheralSadurns

Cancelled
Jul 8, 2010
Apple changes word "Trash" to "Bin" everywhere.. Even in Mail... I just got use to the word "Trash" and they pulled a switch-a-roo.
Well... they changed it for all British oriented Englishes... which includes Australian English. If you use macOS in US English... it still reads Trash... thank god!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Neat... I know i'm Australian, but i still like the US wording...... Apple is so darn exact :)

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
Long press on the maximize window button (green) turns on split screen feature. Is this new, or was I totally ignorant of this in previous versions?

Just tried it - it is in HS.

What is the general experience with Mojave compared to HS - is it worth it? Is the privacy settings better?

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Just tried it - it is in HS.

What is the general experience with Mojave compared to HS - is it worth it? Is the privacy settings better?

OK, thank you. Thank you, too, Vfalcon.

What can I say, I like it. I think it is a little bit better than High Sierra in terms of performance, and dark mode is also gorgeous. New Finder features are good. New screenshot options are amazing. Stacks are very handy.

For privacy, yes, Mojave improves even further on privacy.

Is it worth it? What can I say, If I had multiple Macs on High Sierra which support Mojave officially, I would install Mojave on all of them. For me, it is a no brainer update.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
OK, thank you. Thank you, too, Vfalcon.

What can I say, I like it. I think it is a little bit better than High Sierra in terms of performance, and dark mode is also gorgeous. New Finder features are good. New screenshot options are amazing. Stacks are very handy.

For privacy, yes, Mojave improves even further on privacy.

Is it worth it? What can I say, If I had multiple Macs on High Sierra which support Mojave officially, I would install Mojave on all of them. For me, it is a no brainer update.

Thank you.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Any way to save screenshots in jpg format instead of mojave's default png?

maxxdogg

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
In beta 2:
  • Transition between light and dark themes is smoother
  • New "About This Mac" window now displays Mojave and the icon changes based on which theme you have:
View attachment 766896 View attachment 766897

• New Finder windows now animate open
  • There's a new icon view button in Finder:
View attachment 766892

• The bar in the volume/keyboard/brightness HUD is now translucent:
View attachment 766891

Also forgot to mention the text input cursor now fades in and out instead of blinking; new in beta 1. It's a subtle touch, but I like it.
Is there any way to revert translucent HUD to the High Sierra style? It doesn't match to the iOS control HUD which is without changes. It's anoying..

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
Any way to save screenshots in jpg format instead of mojave's default png?
Sure, using Terminal, issue the following commands of your choice. Lines preceeded by # are comments.
Code:
# ScreenCapture image type:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type tiff

# ScreenCapture location:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture location "/Users/henry/Downloads/"

# Disable shadow in screenshots
defaults write com.apple.screencapture disable-shadow -bool true

After either one:
killall SystemUIServer

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Interesting how v10.4.1 fixes exactly zero of the interface bugs I'm experiencing and told Apple about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.