Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Arvind Chitram

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
Lets say I try the patch in my unsupported mac, can I time machine back to catalina. Im thinking a yes?

forsure its good to wait until we have solid information that everything is working including wifi.

Reactions: TimothyR734

aussieacorn

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2020
Adelaide, SA
Sorry the spam but... if you desire a Ferrari.... you should learn about car construction and contribute to the car building industry?

Well the point is if he pays the contributors. These guys here are contributing for free without getting paid. If you wish to get a Ferrari, you can simply earn money and get it as that is just a car sold for money - and if he and contributors are some sort of customer/client and seller kind of relationship - that comment is understandable. But if situation like this (unpaid and willing-based-contributions) I think he should be willing to try or contribute in here or at least - just wait for it to be ready and say "thank you" for the contributors. Asking for proper patcher just because he doesn't want to bother using Terminal was clearly a selfish and inappropriate comment he can possibly write down in here.

Last edited:

Jose C. Salazar

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2020
What a ridiculous argument. If you like Ferarri's, and can afford one, then you're contributing your money to the Ferrari market. The person in question isn't even willing to use spoon-fed instructions.

and how do you know he is not willing to donate? people like myself who know basics of programing (for fun) may not have the time to invest, on the other hand we have a enormous respect for other people works...

aussieacorn

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2020
Adelaide, SA
Lets say I try the patch in my unsupported mac, can I time machine back to catalina. Im thinking a yes?

forsure its good to wait until we have solid information that everything is working including wifi.

If you are using Mac that has been manufactured around 2012 or later, you still can use Wi-Fi anyway. I am not sure about other models though...

It is always better to just wait for it to be all figured out and get ready so you can achieve it successfully with less risk. It would also be a lot easier experience for you.

By the way, if you have made Time Machine Backup, you sure can go back to Catalina at any moment. That's what I do pretty much always, or use SuperDuper! to copy whole data into the external SSD and make it bootable so if anything goes wrong I can just boot from external hard drive and transfer it to the Mac.

ASentientBot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2018
SkyLight.framework
Yeah…I don’t disagree with you. I just think it’s not worth ‘fixing‘ people. I always got frustrated with people, especially those with potential who chose to waste it. But that person’s attitude also reflects a lot of people - how are you going to change so many people’s perspective? It’s a lot of effort for no reward, so I tend to just ignore it…

That being said, maybe you can change people. But I feel hardwired to “ignore”. Unlike every other problem, ‘underthinking’ people turns out to be much more rewarding.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to spend the time learning/experimenting -- it's a hobby for us but a chore for many who just want a working system. Their interests/skills are elsewhere; that's fine. It only becomes annoying when folks are clamoring for a patcher release ASAP.

My opinion anyways.

fonso7

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2020
Hey guys! Here an iMac 2008! I will be testing all I can from next week. Hopefully it will work as good as Catalina does. Thanks a lot for the hard work!!!

Alex-Microsmeta

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2018
Rome
Just wait for it.
I was waiting around 1 hour @ 13” MBP 2012.

Ok, thank you to all: finished installation after an extra hour (and was the second time, thinking that the process was KO) :)

Now I must understand how to remove telemetry from Big Sur installation (i have a Core 2 Duo 2.4 P8600 Penryn) . If I try to enter recovery with Command + R on Update volume boot, it starts the Internet Recovery ??? (the one with the globe) I'm searching here for a detailed guide :)

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
No graphics acceleration, WiFi, speakers & microphone…but it booted!

View attachment 928182
View attachment 928183

To enable BigSur Wifi use this: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...unsupported-macs-thread.2242172/post-28595200

To enable BigSur speakers and mic use the file attached (stock from my HighSierra installation).

To install both properly follow these steps:

(possibly booting using usbopencoreapfsloader3 and the prelinkedkernel)

open a BigSur terminal and type:

Code:
sudo mount -uw / ; killall Finder

open /System/Library/Extensions/

replace from Finder in that path the IO80211Family.kext and AppleHDA.kext

return to terminal continue typing

Code:
sudo -s

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/

chown -R 0:0 /System/Library/Extensions/

kextcache -i /

(this is required to update the prelinkedkernel)

kmutil install --update-all

(this is required to update the BootKernelExtensions.kc)

kcditto

(this is required to copy both the "kextcache" to the APFS Preboot)

at next reboot both should work on unsupported BigSur Mac.

Attachments

• HighSierra AppleHDA.kext.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 514
  • BigSur penryn sound working Siri confirmed.png
    BigSur penryn sound working Siri confirmed.png
    707.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
What is the diferencie with opencore or legacy kernel? @jackluke

OpenCore is an UEFI bootloader that can patch system configuration (example csrutil, board-id, amfi) and files without modifying a stock nvram or a macOS installation (and many other features), but its main role is the capability to spoof a supported mac.

legacy prelinkedkernel is a booting kextcache that apple used since OSX Lion to embedded the kernel file and some base kext, that is more easy to handle on BigSur IMHO than BootKernelExtensions.kc .

joanbcn91

macrumors member
May 2, 2015
Barcelona, Spain
OpenCore is an UEFI bootloader that can patch system configuration (example csrutil, board-id, amfi) and files without modifying a stock nvram or a macOS installation (and many other features), but its main role is the capability to spoof a supported mac.

legacy prelinkedkernel is a booting kextcache that apple used since OSX Lion, that is more easy to handle on BigSur IMHO.

Thanks for your reply jackluke. Can you help me in my case?

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Thanks for your reply jackluke. Can you help me in my case?

Currently I can use "sudo mount -uw /" on BigSur, and I have no snapshots "system volume encryption" issues so I can add patches from normal booting (or using usbopencore).

You need first to disable SIP from CMD+R recovery enviroment terminal: csrutil disable
then: nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1"

and before replacing the Wifi kext you need to make with createinstallmedia an USB BigSur Installer and copying on its root the IO80211Family.kext and booting from USB BigSur Installer, from there you can replace the Wifi kext.

In your case I could advise to use this working method: https://medium.com/@andv/making-wif...d-macs-with-failed-with-66-error-36c98e3f7965

Last edited:

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
@parrotgeek1 can you edit, align or modify your USBLegacyInjector.kext to adding it correctly to the BigSur BootKernelExtensions.kc ?

Because currently it seems to don't prelink correctly to a "BigSur kextcache or kmutil UUID", it's marked as "unknown", I added it instead using my method of "BigSur prelinkedkernel" (with sudo kextcache -i /) and it does work correctly when targeting the BigSur with single user mode (then typing exit to continue booting).

But if you boot directly or verbose mode HID: Legacy Shim 2 are delayed and resulting with USB unpowered resulting in non-booting, I noticed that "delaying" the USBLegacyInjector.kext loading using BigSur "single user mode" makes your kext to work on non-APFS BigSur machine.

Last edited:

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia

Do you think it would be possible to flash MacBook5,1=>MacBook6,1 using OpenCore? Technically they have an identical hardware so it should be safe or am I missing something?

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
Do you think it would be possible to flash MacBook5,1=>MacBook6,1 using OpenCore? Technically they have an identical hardware so it should be safe or am I missing something?

I guess it's possible only limit are the IOUSB Legacy kext (so it's not very useful to spoof), if you instead clone a BigSur installation or use an external USB BigSur installation, and the "prelinkedkernel fix" with usbopencore , you surely can boot BigSur from a MacBook5,1 with responsive usb mouse, trackpad, keyboard, Wifi and Sound.

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018

Try this (give me some minutes to type):

edit: some reported that this method doesn't worked so don't use it.

Code:
mount -uw /Volumes/BigSur/

cd /Volumes/BigSur/System/Library/Extensions/

mv IO80211Family.kext IO80211Family.kext2

cp -R /Volumes/Image\ Volume/IO80211Family.kext .

kmutil install --update-all --volume-root /Volumes/BigSur/

diskutil mount Preboot

cd /Volumes/Preboot/

ls

cd /Volumes/Preboot/UUID-BigSur/boot/System/Library/KernelCollections/

cp /Volumes/BigSur/System/Library/KernelCollections/BootKernelExtensions.kc .

reboot and check if Wifi is working.

Notice that during copying from recovery terminal you need to add the dot for the current folder:
cp -R /Volumes/Image\ Volume/IO80211Family.kext .

"Image Volume"
is exactly the label for any BigSur USB Installer drive root folder so it's common to any mac.

Last edited:

brandonsierra

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2017
Heres how I would install Big Sur on a Mac mini Late 2012 (Catalina Required!)

1. Download InstallAssistant.pkg from http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...kxzj3zjshu1srsh4n74a41n4/InstallAssistant.pkg

2. Download hax.dylib and copy to home folder https://forums.macrumors.com/attachments/really-simple-installer-hack-zip.926156/

3. Boot in recovery and disable sip with the " csrutil disable " command

4. Boot back into Catalina and open terminal then run " sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.security.libraryvalidation.plist DisableLibraryValidation -bool true "

5. Then Run " launchctl setenv DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES $PWD/Hax.dylib " in same terminal window

6. Then Run " sudo nvram boot-args="-no_compat_check" "

7. Open macOS Big Sur Installer

8. Patch WiFi using https://medium.com/@andv/making-wif...d-macs-with-failed-with-66-error-36c98e3f7965

9. You're done!
[automerge]1593251973[/automerge]
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 10.58.50 AM.png

Aiming for success on 2012 Mac mini!

Last edited:

Alex-Microsmeta

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2018
Rome
Breaking news: I discovered a way to boot BigSur without Opencore using the legacy prelinkedkernel instead of the new BootKernelExtensions.kc , here are the steps:

diskutil apfs list to identify your UUID-BigSur unique Preboot Volume string.

diskutil mount Preboot

or mount your BigSur Preboot Volume (it works also from HighSierra, Mojave, Catalina or directly from BigSur)

open /Volumes/Preboot/

check that in your UUID-BigSur folder is present this: /System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

current BigSur beta 1 prelinkedkernel size: 25,7 MB

locate this path : /Volumes/Preboot/UUID-BigSur/System/Library/CoreServices/com.apple.Boot.plist

if you don't have the file then consider to replace it also in this path:

/Volumes/Preboot/UUID-BigSur/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

edit the file exactly this way:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>Kernel Cache</key>
    <string>System\Library\PrelinkedKernels\prelinkedkernel</string>
    <key>Kernel Flags</key>
    <string>-no_compat_check amfi_get_out_of_my_way=1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

At next reboot your BigSur installation will use the prelinkedkernel

@ASentientBot and @dosdude1 might find this useful for their BigSur patches.

edit:
The same method could be applied also to USB BigSur Installer, because it is still present also there on

/Volumes/USBInstallerBigSur/System/Library/PrelinkedKernels/prelinkedkernel

so redirecting the /Volumes/USBInstallerBigSur/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

adding to it <key>Kernel Cache</key> with <string>System\Library\PrelinkedKernels\prelinkedkernel</string> should override the default BaseSystem.dmg (ramdisk) BootKernelExtensions.kc but this require more testing, probably the /System/Library/Extensions/ folder should be added also to the USB BigSur Installer for kext matching or BaseSystem.dmg (740 MB) restored to a volume and from there attempt to make a BigSur Patcher.

Hi

I have finally managed to install BS without errors. Now, pressing ALT, togheter with Catalina SSD and Windows 10 Efi Boot, I have also a bootable MacOS 11 volume (external 160 GB USB drive APFS partitioned before using Install MacOS beta.app with all patches suggested) Catalina mounts it as "Update" volume, warning that is non fully compatible with the partition. Since I have a Mac mini 2010 (Macmini4,1) with Core 2 Duo Penryn P8600 2.4 ghz I must remove telemetry. BS starts, but when switches to the white screen, after a while of mouse coloured circle spinning, crashes and restarts. How can I access to macOS BS Recovery? If I press command + R it goes to Internet Recovery (the one with spinning Globe) so I cannot access to Terminal to try to remove telemetry.

Thank you for all your very appreciated help! (...I don't know, maybe you could write an automatic script for your elegant solution?)

Regards, Alex

Attachments

• 25e21176-e7c2-4a76-84ee-1bf8f4dd29c4.jpg
    25e21176-e7c2-4a76-84ee-1bf8f4dd29c4.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 153

jackluke

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2018
@Syncretic here is a new test using your kext, in particular AAAMouSSE.kext prelinks correctly with the BigSur kernel, both the kext don't caused any issues to BigSur on Penryn Core2Duo .

So your developed kext MacOS exec SDK and IOkit are compatible with BigSur beta 1 .

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 12.38.01.png
    Screenshot 2020-06-27 at 12.38.01.png
    909.9 KB · Views: 170
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.