Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

walterwhite1

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
I thought I would just for a laugh subscribe to the public beta and update to beta 3 that way. No real issues on Mac mini 5,1. Mouse very sluggish on first boot and I struggled to press continue, but once it settled down and root patches were applied it's back to normal. I'm using open core legacy 0.4.7 and upgraded from Monterey. All seems fine so far.

laertemeira

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2016
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi friends! Hope you all are having a good day! I need your help (I always need tbh haha)...
I've made a OCLP USB install disk with Monterey 12.4 and tried to boot with it in order to disable SIP, to reapply OCPL 0.4.7 and, as result, stop my machine freezing. Well, I leave enabled "Show Bootpicker" (in both internal and usb drives) and, after the boot with the usb drive, I lost USB and Bluetooth functionality. I can log in on installed Monterey but without mouse.

So, I need (want) to edit the config.plist to restore booting with the OC EFI on my internal SSD.

One curious thing: after that, the system appears to be really stable, running for 3 hours without a failure restart...

EDIT: once OpenCorePatcher app can't be used without a mouse, I can't rerun and update my boot on internal drive...

EDIT 2: I was lucky... I had a copy of OCLP 0.4.5 TUI app... so I managed to refresh OC partition for boot with the right settings. USBs and BT working now.

Last edited:

walterwhite1

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
I must say one thing I have noticed after upgrading to the new Monterey beta 3 is the system is definitely laggy in comparison with 12.4. I have a Mac mini mid 2011 (5,1), which I have upgraded to 16gb memory and a Samsung Evo 870. It was blistering fast on 12.4, so I can only assume it's lack of optimisation in the beta. Works though!

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
On a late 2013 iMac, (14,2), I cannot get OCLP 0.4.7 to “stick” onto the EFI of a 2TB SSD.

It will boot off the OCLP 0.4.7 USB key, and it even boots without the USB key, if I leave the “show picker” on, but it will not auto-boot off the EFI of the 2TB SSD.

I've tried repeatedly applying OCLP 0.4.7 to that EFI, but I can tell it is not sticking, because on each subsequent attempt, the EFI of that SSD does not Turn Blue, indicating that a previous OCLP was applied.

What am I doing wrong?
And what is the fix, please?

Reactions: Tockman

Tockman

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2021
On a late 2013 iMac, (14,2), I cannot get OCLP 0.4.7 to “stick” onto the EFI of a 2TB SSD.

It will boot off the OCLP 0.4.7 USB key, and it even boots without the USB key, if I leave the “show picker” on, but it will not auto-boot off the EFI of the 2TB SSD.

I've tried repeatedly applying OCLP 0.4.7 to that EFI, but I can tell it is not sticking, because on each subsequent attempt, the EFI of that SSD does not Turn Blue, indicating that a previous OCLP was applied.

What am I doing wrong?
Same story. After installing OCLP 0.4.7, on the next restart it changes back to 0.4.6. First time I thought it was my mistake, reinstall latest build, but then the incident repeated, and at system start I've got a message offering to upgrade OCLP to 0.4.7.

walterwhite1

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2022
I must say one thing I have noticed after upgrading to the new Monterey beta 3 is the system is definitely laggy in comparison with 12.4. I have a Mac mini mid 2011 (5,1), which I have upgraded to 16gb memory and a Samsung Evo 870. It was blistering fast on 12.4, so I can only assume it's lack of optimisation in the beta. Works though!
Actually I've noticed if I turn off beta blur in non mental settings on beta 3, it's super speedy again. So seems that open core isn't quite as optimised yet for beta 3.

webg3

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Hi friends! Hope you all are having a good day! I need your help (I always need tbh haha)...
I've made a OCLP USB install disk with Monterey 12.4 and tried to boot with it in order to disable SIP, to reapply OCPL 0.4.7 and, as result, stop my machine freezing. Well, I leave enabled "Show Bootpicker" (in both internal and usb drives) and, after the boot with the usb drive, I lost USB and Bluetooth functionality. I can log in on installed Monterey but without mouse.

So, I need (want) to edit the config.plist to restore booting with the OC EFI on my internal SSD.

One curious thing: after that, the system appears to be really stable, running for 3 hours without a failure restart...

EDIT: once OpenCorePatcher app can't be used without a mouse, I can't rerun and update my boot on internal drive...

EDIT 2: I was lucky... I had a copy of OCLP 0.4.5 TUI app... so I managed to refresh OC partition for boot with the right settings. USBs and BT working now.

I answered this same question, 2 or 3 pages ago.

You need to hold the Option key when turning on the system and in the boot selector, choose EFI boot and then hold Ctrl and press Enter to mark as default.

Reactions: laertemeira

theoak2

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2017
I love my old MacBook Pro 2012 non-retina with Monterey 12.4!!! Even the feature to unlock with Apple Watch works!

There was a link to donate to someone going to some thing, maybe a hundred or more posts back. Don’t remember what to even search for. OCLP has saved me quite a bit of money not having to upgrade for several years to come. To show appreciation, I would like to contribute, not just to whoever was going to that event, but to the OCLP effort in general.

Is it possible to add a donation link to the first post of this thread for all of us who feel this way?

Reactions: FabriBonaparte1

algernonpule

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2021
Bristol, UK

What am I doing wrong?
Not sure if this is related, but I happened to notice when I downloaded and ran 0.4.7, the version of the app at /Library/Application Support/Dortania/OpenCore-Patcher.app (and to which the alias in Applications points) remained at 0.4.6. I therefore copied/pasted 0.4.7 into that location as well, just to make sure there weren't two different versions of the executable on my drive. Might be worth checking, just in case.

eablokker

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
I'm having issues booting Monterey 12.4 on iMac 12,1 with k2100m GPU upgrade using OCLP 0.4.7.

I have Big Sur running perfectly on this machine. I installed Monterey onto a second volume on the same internal drive. Installation goes smoothly, but then when trying to boot it reboots halfway into macOS Recovery.

I tried enabling verbose mode in OCLP but the messages fly by so fast I can't see what they say just before it reboots. It doesn't hang on any message, it just suddenly reboots before I can see what happened.

I tried searching the thread but don't know what words to find if anyone has had this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Wondering if maybe I had a corrupted installer.

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Hello to all,

Still searching for solution to the "login loop" on iMac 13,2, running 12.5 beta3 system software.

I tried the latest OCLP 0.4.8n, just for testing. Unfortunately, despite having unchecked "install mac os updates" in Software Update panel, 12.5 beta3 was installed in the background (luckily it was not Ventura).

The need to boot in "safe mode" (with consequential loss of graphic acceleration) in order to reinstall 12.5. beta2, prompted me to recheck whether solution might be possible(?)

Reactions: steverae

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
Not sure if this is related, but I happened to notice when I downloaded and ran 0.4.7, the version of the app at /Library/Application Support/Dortania/OpenCore-Patcher.app (and to which the alias in Applications points) remained at 0.4.6. I therefore copied/pasted 0.4.7 into that location as well, just to make sure there weren't two different versions of the executable on my drive. Might be worth checking, just in case.
I am running Monterey 12.4 and OCLP 0.4.7 too and I have no such /Library/Application Support/Dortania/ folder and the OCLP app in the /Applications folder is the real thing, not an alias. Why does your system have that configuration (which seems a little strange to me)?
Edit: As said below by Sven G, my iMac system did not require the Root patch, so it is normal and any system that has had the Root patch applied will have the OpenCore-Patcher app moved to the /Library/Application Support/Dortania/ folder and there should be an alias to the app in the Applications folder (maybe best to check that, as on my late 2011 running Big Sur, there was no alias, instead there was another copy of the app in the Applications folder.
Easily fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: makra

madvinegar

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2022
I'm having issues booting Monterey 12.4 on iMac 12,1 with k2100m GPU upgrade using OCLP 0.4.7.

I have Big Sur running perfectly on this machine. I installed Monterey onto a second volume on the same internal drive. Installation goes smoothly, but then when trying to boot it reboots halfway into macOS Recovery.

I tried enabling verbose mode in OCLP but the messages fly by so fast I can't see what they say just before it reboots. It doesn't hang on any message, it just suddenly reboots before I can see what happened.

I tried searching the thread but don't know what words to find if anyone has had this. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Wondering if maybe I had a corrupted installer.
I have the exact same iMac, with same GPU, CPu etc and it boots fine. Have you managed to run the root patches? And are you sure you are booting off the OpenCore Efi?

Pachnes

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2019
The bare bones Catalina install volume I created on external SSD for getting firmware updates currently occupies 34 GB, with 7.2 GB allocated for unmounted 'other volumes'. So you'd better make it bigger, maybe 50 GB. I did a clean install and just created an admin login. Did not migrate any data or apps other than installing SilentKnight.
View attachment 2019819
Just add a APFS Volume for Catalina, not a partition and you can install Catalina in that APFS Volume.

eablokker

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2019
Santa Barbara, CA
I have the exact same iMac, with same GPU, CPu etc and it boots fine. Have you managed to run the root patches? And are you sure you are booting off the OpenCore Efi?

So I thought maybe it could be a problem with Monterey 12.4 so I tried again with 12.3.1. Downloaded and created install media through OCLP. Installation went fine. Exact same problem when trying to boot into the OS. It just reboots during progress bar screen.

I have not run the root patches. My understanding is you do that from within the OS once you have booted into it, and that only gives you wifi+bluetooth support back with this model. Shouldn't I be able to boot into the OS without needing root patches? Isn't OCLP supposed to install those automatically now?

My opencore EFI is installed in my internal drive. I choose "EFI Boot" at the native bootpicker, same process as booting Big Sur. Monterey just wants to reboot itself during the progress bar.

What else could I be doing wrong? Maybe some OCLP option I have to change? Though I haven't changed any of the defaults.

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
So I thought maybe it could be a problem with Monterey 12.4 so I tried again with 12.3.1. Downloaded and created install media through OCLP. Installation went fine. Exact same problem when trying to boot into the OS. It just reboots during progress bar screen.

I have not run the root patches. My understanding is you do that from within the OS once you have booted into it, and that only gives you wifi+bluetooth support back with this model. Shouldn't I be able to boot into the OS without needing root patches? Isn't OCLP supposed to install those automatically now?

My opencore EFI is installed in my internal drive. I choose "EFI Boot" at the native bootpicker, same process as booting Big Sur. Monterey just wants to reboot itself during the progress bar.

What else could I be doing wrong? Maybe some OCLP option I have to change? Though I haven't changed any of the defaults.
Could you clarify; 1. Is your keyboard a wireless model, or connected via USB? 2. Using the same version of OCLP installed on the USB Monterey installer drive & the version installed on the EFI partition of the internal drive? 3. What is the internal SSD? Sure it is compatible with Monterey? 4. After the Monterey install finishes, have you tried booting with the USB Monterey install drive connected, holding the Option key, and Choosing the (smaller) USB EFI boot icon (not the larger internal icon), and then finally the volume with Monterey installed?
It may help to use a USB mouse instead of a bluetooth mouse on that Mac model as the bluetooth is poor or "nothing works" until you get past the Root Patching step.
While the OCLP devs have done wonders, getting these old machines viable and working with all of the internal changes Apple has made recently, it may be asking too much to have both Big Sur and Monterey installed on that hardware.
Have you tried wiping the internal drive in Disk Utility, then installing Monterey?
Personally, I would just stop at Big Sur and use it for a year or so.

amaze1499

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2014
Bricked my MBP after successfully updating 12.5 beta 3 and applying patches using o’clock 0.4.7.

Solved by reinstalling system using usb stick and oclp 0.4.6

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Same story. After installing OCLP 0.4.7, on the next restart it changes back to 0.4.6. First time I thought it was my mistake, reinstall latest build, but then the incident repeated, and at system start I've got a message offering to upgrade OCLP to 0.4.7.
I have an iMac 13,2, very similar to yours, and so far did not notice aberrant OCLP behavior you described. However, there was a post on this thread (perhaps by hvds(?)) which alluded to a problems when switching from OCLP TUI to OCLP GUI variant. Perhaps a solution might be to completely remove the EFI entries for OCLP, and reinstall the latter from scratch.

Hope this may be of help.

Tockman

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2021
I have an iMac 13,2, very similar to yours, and so far did not notice aberrant OCLP behavior you described. However, there was a post on this thread (perhaps by hvds(?)) which alluded to a problems when switching from OCLP TUI to OCLP GUI variant. Perhaps a solution might be to completely remove the EFI entries for OCLP, and reinstall the latter from scratch.

Hope this may be of help.
OK. Have you installed 12.5 Beta 3 without any problems?

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Last edited:
Reactions: steverae

Tockman

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2021
No, see post #6613, just few entries above. I can install 12.5 beta3 but it gets stuck in the "login screen loop"; the only way to boot into 12.5 beta3 is via Safe Mode. I applied few different OCLP versions, in Safe Mode, but none allowed login into functioning (no safe mode) desktop.
So we have a common story. And, I presume, this story is more OS-related than caused by OCLP itself. So the only way here's, in my opinion, to wait for a solution from our respected developers who would investigate those new specific differences brought by Beta 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: chris1111

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
Bricked my MBP after successfully updating 12.5 beta 3 and applying patches using o’clock 0.4.7.

Solved by reinstalling system using usb stick and oclp 0.4.6
Hello amaze1499,

Could you elaborate on the Mac you are using, and system version you succeeded in installing?
Thanks.

RogueB

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2016
So we have a common story. And, I presume, this story is more OS-related than caused by OCLP itself. So the only way here's, in my opinion, to wait solution from our respected developers who would investigate those new specific differences brought by Beta 3.
Agreed. I also logged into the Discord server, but did not find any reference to the problem our machines are facing. Not being familiar with Discord environment I did not want to ask a question which may have already been submitted.
Perhaps 12.5 beta4 can bring some "relief".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.