Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Settings are one of the worst part of iOS. There are now way too many. Settings used to be a lot simpler back in the iOS 9 days. Now It’s dizzying. Whatever they do its sure to confuse us all over again. Not looking forward to mucking around in an alien settings interface once again.

It’s weird — they can’t even get settings to be nice.
Yea it was fine the way it was. But :apple: wanted settings to be like iOS

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
Gah. Don’t ruin it again, Apple. It’s a total mess right now. Try and find the old “Hot corners” wheee you can set a corner to turn the display off without screen savor (or other options) and it takes forever to find where they buried it! Should be right up in the Display category!

In settings search hot corner shortcuts.

theolderoldcoot

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2024
Knowing the way Apple has been going lately it with be a total cluster ****. The more they try to change and add crap people don't need (the iphone is a good example) as well as the Mac the more bugs surface and it we will be constantly updating the system.

Fowl

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2018
Moving "General" around is no consolation. The whole idea of "General" is fundamentally bad. What is "General" anyway? It's like boxes/folders which you mark "miscellaneous" or "various" when you are too lazy to think of how to organize things, guaranteeing that you'll never find what is in them ever again.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
These are good as they are things that should have been done years ago.

But I would find shared contacts to be extremely useful. They should use the good work done with iCloud Keychain password sharing as a model.

edrozenberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
The current Settings panel continues to be a complete sshow. It cannot get any worse, I hope, Apple, hello, it cannot get any worse right, right? The old style panel was so easy so simple with those nice tutorial animations and proper native Mac UI. The current thing is just complete garbage, with little sub panels and popups and annoying phone style switches and everything is impossible to find other than with that horrible search ui which shows many results and you just have to guess at what you need. Truly truly bad, all because they decided internally to "dogfood" their own sht swift ui or catalyst or other crp that nobody asked for. In second place the crp "New" Podcasts app made with similar crp frameworks that lost a ton of features that will never return because it's "good enough" because nobody uses it because it's crp now and keeps running in the background downloading all the podcasts in the world even when you "quit" it.

Last edited:

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Gah. Don’t ruin it again, Apple. It’s a total mess right now. Try and find the old “Hot corners” wheee you can set a corner to turn the display off without screen savor (or other options) and it takes forever to find where they buried it! Should be right up in the Display category!
Hot corners are in two separate places in settings. It’s a very windows-like design choice. The search field in settings is the best feature Apple has because finding any setting without it would be a nightmare.

I legit miss 10.4 era Aqua
The last version of Tiger is still the most stable version of OS X / macOS ever ❤️ but I kind of like the GUI style of the recent versions more. It’s unobtrusive.

Last edited:

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
With the macOS 15 update that is set to debut at WWDC in June, Apple plans to rearrange "menus and app UIs," according to a report from AppleInsider. The System Settings app, which was last updated with macOS Ventura, will get one of the biggest updates.
From AppleInsider
Neither iOS 18 nor macOS 15 are expected to introduce any groundbreaking design changes. Instead, they will maintain the same overall look and feel as their respective predecessors, while adding minor visual tweaks to make the new releases recognizable and more user-friendly.
Apple's decision to rearrange key system settings in macOS 15 (and likely iOS 18) was obviously created with the end user in mind. By lumping together related options, the company seeks to make it easier for its users to find specific settings.
Sounds interesting if done right.

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
Thank goodness. The iOSificastion of it has been terrible. Settings was always not great but now it’s aweful. What iOS settings and Mac settings needs most is improved search. Every time I search for common things never finds them even when that is the exact name of a setting. And of course when searching with any common symnonm etc of course nothing. Vs Google search in the setting of all there apps works far more brilliantly. Hoefully all the new LLLM ai’s will finally resolve this long standing issue. Once search is resolved then fixing the ui for those who prefer to navigate would be great too.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
It’d be nice to have quicker access to stuff like Hide My Email.
YES, PLEASE!

I also think that Apple should 1. Allow multi windows for the settings app, and 2. have a shortcut for Hide My Email to iCloud passwords, and vice-versa. The number of times that I had to navigate between the two, and they are so far away from each other

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.