Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I also was able to update without issue on my 3,1 mini. The difference with my current install is that I finally used APFS this time. My previous HS installs were all HFS+. Glad I did. The update literally installed and finished perfectly, as if it was a supported machine.

Also, the 005 and 007 security updates were the first ones where I had to apply the post install again. All the previous ones kept the older kexts in tact.

whitedb

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
Same here. No problems with the regular built-in Software Update method for my 2008 MacBook5,1 and my 2009 MacBookPro5,5. I'm especially pleased for the latter since all the recent Security Updates since 2018-1 had failed on this one.

View attachment 887599

It's great that these machines are still being used, with modern software, after all this time. They've experienced the 2000s, the 2010s, and now the 2020s, touching on 3 different decades!

I just tried to update my MacPro 3,1 using Apples software update. Everything seemed to go OK but on restart it still showed the update was needed. I tried again and this time it hung on the installing software update (black screen with a white apple). I forced a restart and the machine booted OK. Looking at Installations under system report, the update is not shown. However, the it shows System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G10021) which is correct. So it looks as if it worked but not quite smoothly.

Additionally, whilst my WiFi was working before the update, it is does not anymore, no hardware detected. I seem to remember a warning about that. I ran the WiFi Support Patch again and restarted and my wifi connection was back.

Last edited:

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
I just tried to update my MacPro 3,1 using Apples software update. Everything seemed to go OK but on restart it still showed the update was needed. I tried again and this time it hung on the installing software update (black screen with a white apple). I forced a restart and the machine booted OK. Looking at Installations under system report, the update is not shown. However, the it shows System Version: macOS 10.13.6 (17G10021) which is correct. So it looks as if it worked but not quite smoothly.

Additionally, whilst my WiFi was working before the update, it is does not anymore, no hardware detected. I seem to remember a warning about that. I ran the WiFi Support Patch again and restarted and my wifi connection was back.

What you experienced is pretty normal, especially with the more recent updates. What fails, when it does, is updating the 650MB recovery partition. The update is installed, as your build number states. It just doesn't have an updated recovery partition.

Is your boot drive APFS or HFS? When I was using HFS I had the same issues you're having. But once I used APFS the update installed perfectly. Though with recent updates I still need to do the post install. But security updates 001 through 004 didn't need post install again. Only 005 and up has.

whitedb

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2017
What you experienced is pretty normal, especially with the more recent updates. What fails, when it does, is updating the 650MB recovery partition. The update is installed, as your build number states. It just doesn't have an updated recovery partition.

Is your boot drive APFS or HFS? When I was using HFS I had the same issues you're having. But once I used APFS the update installed perfectly. Though with recent updates I still need to do the post install. But security updates 001 through 004 didn't need post install again. Only 005 and up has.
Thanks for your helpful insight. I was booting from an external usb drive that is HFS+ formatted. Is there as way to fix the recovery partition problem or even check if there is one on the disc? I am testing the patcher with this clean install to see if I should update my main El Captian install and have current security patches. It makes me nervous about trusting a full system when each security update has glitches!

What exactly did you mean by Post Install. I am a bit rusty as I first put this drive together a year ago and have just come back to the project as I felt I really needed to get secure.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Thanks for your helpful insight. I was booting from an external usb drive that is HFS+ formatted. Is there as way to fix the recovery partition problem or even check if there is one on the disc? I am testing the patcher with this clean install to see if I should update my main El Captian install and have current security patches. It makes me nervous about trusting a full system when each security update has glitches!

What exactly did you mean by Post Install. I am a bit rusty as I first put this drive together a year ago and have just come back to the project as I felt I really needed to get secure.

I meant what is the format of the drive you have High Sierra installed on, not what the installer drive is. And what I mean by post install are the kexts and other patches you need to run after install, and sometimes after updates. You'll see it in the bottom left of the interface when booted to the installer.

This is what I recommend:

1. Make a current Time Machine backup of your El Capitan drive.
2. Boot from the High Sierra installer, open disk utility, and format the drive you had El Cap on as "APFS".
3. Install High Sierra on the drive you just formatted.
4. Boot back into the installer when it's done and reboots.
5. Double click on "Post Install", then select your machine, then the drive you installed HS on. It will reboot when done.
6. Let the system boot normally into setup, then when you get to the restore data screen you just select the drive your El Cap backup is on, and restore that account into High Sierra.

The end result will get exactly what your El Cap install was, but on High Sierra.

When you install updates they should work without a hitch on an APFS drive, but with the more recent updates (like 007) you will also need to do the post install again from the installer.

Do exactly all that, and you'll be golden.

Also, if you don't have an El Cap installer drive then make one first. Just in case something goes south, which it likely won't, but you'll have the El Cap installer and backup in case you feel the need to go back.

Last edited:

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
With System 10.13.6 (with the patch) I can no longer connect to 'Messages', is it a known problem or mine alone?

[automerge]1578756532[/automerge]

"Failed to install Security Update 2019-005 on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for updating."

I modified the installer as indicated in message # 1 but now it gives me this error

in message # 1 the indications are incomplete, a passage is missing...

Last edited:

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
With System 10.13.6 (with the patch) I can no longer connect to 'Messages', is it a known problem or mine alone?

[automerge]1578756532[/automerge]

"Failed to install Security Update 2019-005 on this disk. This volume does not meet the requirements for updating."

I modified the installer as indicated in message # 1 but now it gives me this error

in message # 1 the indications are incomplete, a passage is missing...

I don't use Messages at all, so I can't help you with that, but in terms of the update, why are you installing 005? 007 is the newest, and it will have everything the previous updates had.

What I recommend is to install it via the app store. That will give you 007. If it fails that's fine. It will still be updated. All that fails is the updating of the recovery partition. Just check your build number after, and it should say 17G10021.

Also, you may need to run the post install again for wifi etc.

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
007 is the newest, and it will have everything the previous updates had.

Ok for 007, but still gives me an error and does not install it ...

AppleStore tells me there are no updates to install but does not appear in the list of installed updates.

Schermata 2020-01-12 alle 11.11.12.png

Last edited:

nanni61

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2020
What I recommend is to install it via the app store.

A few days ago AppleSTore warned me that there was a security update to install (1.9 Gb). I launched the update but after a couple of hours it was stuck and was not going any further and I had to close. Now AS no longer warns me that there are updates, does not tell me that it is installed and I do not know if the update is installed or not ...

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
A few days ago AppleSTore warned me that there was a security update to install (1.9 Gb). I launched the update but after a couple of hours it was stuck and was not going any further and I had to close. Now AS no longer warns me that there are updates, does not tell me that it is installed and I do not know if the update is installed or not ...

Sorry, I didn't realize that you don't know how to check the build number. It's very simple... just click on "About this Mac" in the Apple menu, then click on the OS version in that window, and it will show you the build number next to it. It should say "17G10021".

Like this:
Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 6.21.44 AM.png

Last edited:

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Hey, just installed the latest HS 10.3.6 on my 3,1 works fine wondering if it is safe to update the latest security patch HS is wanting to install or will everything go haywire?

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Hey, just installed the latest HS 10.3.6 on my 3,1 works fine wondering if it is safe to update the latest security patch HS is wanting to install or will everything go haywire?

3,1 what? There are several Macs with that same number.

If you used APFS on your drive then it should update fine, but if you used HFS the update will stall, but still install fine. In my experiences the HFS drives fail when the updates tries to update the recovery partition - the last thing it does. But everything else will install fine. And if it does stall during the update just force shut it down by holding the power button for a few seconds. Then power it on again.

Also, when the update fails it will still update the OS, but it will not show in the update logs in system profiler or the app store. But just check the build number after, and it should say "17G10021".

honeycombz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2013
Mac Pro 3,1. I have a SSD boot os + SSHD data setup with the data drive also having an os on it if needed so when i update i am usually updating two systems. The SSD took the security update 007 without a hitch just the stall and then reboot thing. But the SSHD gave me the following error and now I am having to run pot install again just to get it to boot and thinking I may need to reinstall OS. Anyone come across this before? The system build seems to have taken the update but should I be concerned everything is messed up? I am also getting an additional updates not installed notification on startup that I press install on but get no indicator anything has started or completed. Other than that seems to work fine? 4F46DB0D-D3BC-4C22-BC4C-DDF96D5878D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevin Paner

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
Good evening. I've been battling installing dosdude high sierra on my 2008 3,1 2x quad core 2.83, 32gb 800mhz ddr2 fb-dimm ram (8x4gb), 256gb crucial mx500 SSD, ati Radeon hd 4870 (512mb). I do have a gtx780 that isn't flashed but works fine in El Capitan just no boot screen. For said install I have the 4870 installed.

Sip disabled via 10.11 recovery.
I've tried removing all but one ram stick. Removing WiFi and Bluetooth cards etc. But I keep getting this error regardless of what I try.

El Capitan runs flawlessly as well as windows 10

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20200121_170103.jpg
    20200121_170103.jpg
    555.8 KB · Views: 102

LuisN

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2013
Torres Vedras, Portugal
Good evening. I've been battling installing dosdude high sierra on my 2008 3,1 2x quad core 2.83, 32gb 800mhz ddr2 fb-dimm ram (8x4gb), 256gb crucial mx500 SSD, ati Radeon hd 4870 (512mb). I do have a gtx780 that isn't flashed but works fine in El Capitan just no boot screen. For said install I have the 4870 installed.

Sip disabled via 10.11 recovery.
I've tried removing all but one ram stick. Removing WiFi and Bluetooth cards etc. But I keep getting this error regardless of what I try.

El Capitan runs flawlessly as well as windows 10

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Set the date on your computer to any day before September 2019 and try to reinstall. It seems your installer has an expired certificate or download new HS installer from Apple

Kevin Paner

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
Set the date on your computer to any day before September 2019 and try to reinstall. It seems your installer has an expired certificate or download new HS installer from Apple

I had that issue initially and set the date back to 2012. I was then able to start the install and get to this point. I actually set date and the in terminal with installer utilities using "date 0120034512" set date to Jan 20 2012 at 3:45am.

Maybe I should have set it in El Capitan instead?
[automerge]1579685917[/automerge]
Nope. Set date to 2012 manually in El capitan. Reboot and start the install. Get to this point, sits there for a minute and then the same error again

Edit: I've also used 2 different USB flash drives and and even a internal sata drive for dosdude's installer. All boot and will start the install. All fail at the same point

Attachments

• 20200122_043559.jpg
    20200122_043559.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 20200122_043758.jpg
    20200122_043758.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I had that issue initially and set the date back to 2012. I was then able to start the install and get to this point. I actually set date and the in terminal with installer utilities using "date 0120034512" set date to Jan 20 2012 at 3:45am.

Maybe I should have set it in El Capitan instead?

I usually set the system date in System Preferences.

Kevin Paner

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
I usually set the system date in System Preferences.

I just did that this morning in El Capitan, same result
[automerge]1579686353[/automerge]
Would WiFi and Bluetooth cause this? I've removed my usb3.0 pci card all other pci slots are empty except gpu

Kevin Paner

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
Disconnect the internet(unplug the router if you have to) to make sure the system does not update the date.

I removed WiFi and Bluetooth cards and disconnected Ethernet. Same result. Is there anyway I can run diagnostic on a 3,1? Holding D on boot does nothing

avz

Suspended
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
I removed WiFi and Bluetooth cards and disconnected Ethernet. Same result. Is there anyway I can run diagnostic on a 3,1? Holding D on boot does nothing

Make sure not to set some stupid date like 2012. Every file have a date it was created, set the date just after the installer app was created.

Kevin Paner

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2020
Didn't work, so I pulled the log file from the installer and it said it had an issue extracting core.pkg. then the diagnostic error shows up right after that. I'm currently re-downloading high sierra via dosdude patcher and will try again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.