Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Blackriton

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
Paris
There is no such thing as a mid 2009 MacBook5,2. Furthermore, there are issues with MacBook5,2. Do you mean mid-2009 MacBookPro5,2?

That 10.3.1 is a beta. You won’t see it as an update until it is non-beta.

You are right. The info I saw as a mistake. Apple Dev site is confirming that.

tdack

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Works a treat here ... MBP5,2 17" (mid 2009). Thanks dosdude1!!

Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 18.33.46.png

Tirapiedras

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Spain
Make sure the name of your USB drive doesn't contain any weird characters, and also ensure the path to the High Sierra Installer app doesn't contain any weird characters (such as accents, ñ, é, etc). Also ensure you're logged in as an administrator on your Mac.
I have tried again. I've set my device language to English, just in case. My username is a single word, with no weird characters, the external device now is Untitled, and it freezes exactly in the same point. More or less, when the bar is at 30%. Just a few seconds after it opens the external drive with this contents:
Screen Shot 2017-09-28 at 10.58.09.png

The HDD it's only 1.79gb used.

I am an admin. It asks for the password and I write it.
Is there any way to see a more detailed log? Maybe I have a library extension or something causing a problem.

BTW, what should I spect with the 9400m graphics card? This is my only device, so I need it to be reliable.

Kayhan 17#

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Ulm - Germany
Is there any other way of downloading the High Sierra full installer rather than using dosdude1s software patcher method as the connection keeps breaking, and when it does so the download is erased, and needs to be started again only for it to fail about two thirds of the way. Have had previous better success (Betas and Sierra) downloading the dmg from his site, but High Sierra is not listed there.

Unfortunately i had the same problems, i almost downloaded 8-10 times (150mbit internet connection) but it failed, i ended up getting the file from somewhere else =)

you get a private Message in a few minutes, for the other folks -> please contact L Caputo...

Oh and a biiig thank you to dosdude letting my 5.3mbp still do its job in the future

Kind Regards

Last edited:

tejel

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Unfortunately i had the same problems, i almost downloaded 8-10 times (150mbit internet connection) but it failed, i ended up getting the file from somewhere else =)

you get a private Message in a few minutes, for the other folks -> please contact L Caputo...

Oh and a biiig thank you to dosdude letting my 5.3mbp still do its job in the future

Kind Regards
Hi, I have the same problem, could you pm a link to download High Sierra? thanks!

honglong1976

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
UK
1. Yes, it is possible to do an in-place upgrade.

2. Use the macOS High Sierra Patcher tool to download a copy of macOS High Sierra, create an installer USB drive, boot from it, but simply select the disk containing Sierra to install on, without erasing the disk in Disk Utility. Run the post-install patch after installing, of course.

3. You can convert the drive whenever you wish, however you'll need to be sure to re-run the post-install patch after the conversion if you do it after installing. Just a warning, I'm not exactly sure how the APFS booting implementation will handle your "home-brew" fusion drive, so be sure to back up important data in case it doesn't work.

Thanks. I was looking for a quick guide!

jhowarth

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2017
You are right. The info I saw as a mistake. Apple Dev site is confirming that.

Well, it should be available from the public beta test program in a day or so but you would have to enroll in that. In any case, it doesn't appear to be installable on unsupported machines as on reboot the machine reports that some installations couldn't be completed which leaves the networking support broken. It is unclear if this is from the SU trying to install new firmware updates or if this is something that can addressed on unsupported machines. If I recall correctly, during the original beta test period for High Sierra folks had similar issues on various seeds when they tried to use the SU approach rather than the full installer modified by High Sierra patcher. So we may just have to live with only upgrading across point releases by downloading the full installers and using those each time rather than the SU method.

StuBFrost

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2016
Manchester, England
Firstly thanks to DosDude1 for his utility.

I have upgraded my MackBook 5.1 to HS from Sierra (again thanks to DosDude1) and all is working fine. I have now decided to convert my SSD to APFS but I am having an issue. I booted the USB again and unmounted the drive but when I try and convert the drive I get the following error:

The operation could not be completed (com.apple.StorageKit error 118)
Operation failed.

I tried a first aid on the disk and that is fine but it still gives me the conversion error.

Anybody got any ideas what the problem could be ?

Thanks

Anybody ?

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
According to every Mac it says the identifier is 5,2 for MacBook. It also lists A1181 MC240LL/A. Etc. so what is it then ? , https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-duo-2.13-white-13-mid-2009-nvidia-specs.html
[doublepost=1506603571][/doublepost]
There is no such thing as a mid 2009 MacBook5,2. Furthermore, there are issues with MacBook5,2. Do you mean mid-2009 MacBookPro5,2?
dosdude1's patches fixed the issues like the backlight not working and the volume button not working. Since I'm not sure why people don't know what a mid 2009 MacBook 5,2 is here's a screen clip from my system report and about this Mac. Its the one right before the unibody:
MacbookMid.png

Last edited:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: slooksterPSV

ks23

macrumors member
May 6, 2004
Hello,

maybe someone has a solution for my problem.
I have bought a USB-AC53 Nano USB WiFi-Adapter. I installed the 10.12 driver, but the App aren't showing up.
I also have found a Realtek Wireless Network Utility. This App don't start, too. Only bouncing in the dock.
The Adapter has a RTL8812BU chipset.
Any ideas? And how could I check if the RTL kext is loaded?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That's weird too I see that one usually referenced as 5,3 but EveryMac calls that a 6,1 really weird...
No, you are correct. I mixed up the model dates. Either way though, MacBook5,2 is supposed to have trackpad issues with High Sierra.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Oh I see. I have referred to that as late (not mid) 2009 MacBook5,2. That is supposed to have some issues with patched High Sierra. Is your trackpad working with all features?

Uhh... the iPhone x image isn’t showing properly in safari. The trackpad works to the extent of two finger scroll. I have no clue what the gestures are but I don’t believe they’re working

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Uhh... the iPhone x image isn’t showing properly in safari. The trackpad works to the extent of two finger scroll. I have no clue what the gestures are but I don’t believe they’re working
We all seem to have same driver issue with GeForce 9400M and 9600M. However the fully supported MacBook6,1 also has 9400M so there is hope.

Reactions: slooksterPSV

FilthyMuppetInnuendo

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2016
I’ve discovered that my black screen on wake from sleep is actually a kernel panic and not just the display not turning on. I now have the log from that; maybe others who are having the black screen of death will see something similar.

... Oh, there’s no spoiler tag or code formatting here. A pastebin, then.

Oh, as it’s a MacPro4,1 would flashing the firmware to a MacPro5,1 help in any way?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Hi. I used the patched installer to install on a supported 2010 iMac with HD, on APFS. However, I get no Recovery partition, just an extra EFI partition. Is this due to using the patched installer?

I have a 2010 Core i7 iMac 27” with 2 TB HD. Not Fusion. I wanted to see how APFS behaved on it so using the USB installer method I installed High Sierra on it.

I booted into the installer, used Disk Utility to wipe the drive and format as APFS and then created two volumes, a boot volume and data volume. And the after unmounting the drive I initiated the install process. The installed OS on APFS works fine.
I reinstalled with a clean install using the regular unpatched installer (on this 2010 fully supported machine). As expected, this time the install happened with no extra EFI support partition, just the main APFS partition.

So, I guess for supported machines using APFS, it is not recommended the patched installer be used, because you will get the unnecessary EFI partition.

For some reason though, there is no recovery partition installed in either case. Note for my 2010 iMac system, it was a HD based system, not Fusion nor SSD. The default install is HFS+.

kautame

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2017
@dosdude1 Everything fine here, after I installed High Sierra with your patcher on a 7,1 iMac. Only one problem happened: at the end, after I applied the right patches for my iMac, I couldn't click on the "Reboot" button because the window just disappeared (I've tried many times). So, I chose "Restart" from the upper left corner menu, but that just restarted from the USB drive. Again I used "Restart", this time pressing Alt until I could chose from which volume to boot. The same thing happened after I restarted from the USB drive to unmount my SSD and convert it to APFS. But I resolved in the same way. THANK YOU, dosdude1!

idealtracks

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
Used a supported macbook to install 10.13 on an SSD via USB3 to sata cable. Let it fully install and boot all the way into 10.13 desktop, then I shutdown, unplugged the USB3 drive and rebooted into 10.12, ran the patcher program and pointed it at the USB3 drive which I plugged back in. Placed this drive in my MacPro 3,1 and everything works perfectly and it boots very fast. Thanks for the great utility @dosdude1!

antibolo

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
So am I correct in assuming that the High Sierra installer will only convert your HFS+ boot volume to APFS if it resides on a Apple-supplied SSD? My MBP has a third party SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) so it should keep it HFS+, right?

(I'm reinstalling from scratch on HFS+ because I want FileVault, and I wanna be sure it won't be a wasted effort lol.)

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Feb 16, 2012
So am I correct in assuming that the High Sierra installer will only convert your HFS+ boot volume to APFS if it resides on a Apple-supplied SSD? My MBP has a third party SSD (Samsung 840 EVO) so it should keep it HFS+, right?

(I'm reinstalling from scratch on HFS+ because I want FileVault, and I wanna be sure it won't be a wasted effort lol.)
The installer implementation that High Sierra Patcher uses will never automatically convert your volume, regardless of the drive you have installed.

ArtBecomesMe

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
First off, Thanks dosdude1 for making this!

So, I am having an issue booting off the USB. I have a MacPro 3,1 and I created the USB with the latest tool (2.3.2) and downloaded the HS GM within the patcher tool.

When I boot off the USB it goes a little more than halfway on the boot progress before it gives me the big "NO" Icon.

Details about my system are in the screenshots. Only one HD (My 1TB SSD) is plugged into the system and no USB or other hardware.

What could be causing this???
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

Erikstoffer

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2016
First off, Thanks dosdude1 for making this!

So, I am having an issue booting off the USB. I have a MacPro 3,1 and I created the USB with the latest tool (2.3.2) and downloaded the HS GM within the patcher tool.

When I boot off the USB it goes a little more than halfway on the boot progress before it gives me the big "NO" Icon.

Details about my system are in the screenshots. Only one HD (My 1TB SSD) is plugged into the system and no USB or other hardware.

What could be causing this???
[doublepost=1506622743][/doublepost]I had the exact same issue.
Deleted the Partition on the USB and redid the entire proces again from step 1 and made sure the usb is partioned the correct way on the highest level and then it worked perfectly.

hope this helps.

ArtBecomesMe

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2017
Deleted the Partition on the USB and redid the entire proces again from step 1 and made sure the usb is partioned the correct way on the highest level and then it worked perfectly.

hope this helps.

Ah I will try that now! thank you. Fingers Crossed.
[doublepost=1506623948][/doublepost]

hope this helps.

Yes! It worked perfectly. Skipped the partition work and installed on entirely different USB and it loaded straight up. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.