macOS High Sierra and iOS 11 May Fix Long-Standing Sync Issues With iCloud Text Replacements [Update: Soon]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Yptcn, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Since iOS 11 and now High Sierra , so far all my text replacements are finally working fine . I've been pulling my hair out for year with this issue . I just hope it goes on and doesn't break again.

If this can help , the last time I put back in all my TRs with a dash (-) after each one . That means that for some time I had double TRs.
    When they synced I deleted all those without the dash .

Then took out the dashes . I haven't had a problem since then .

I'm not sure I'm making any sense , so here is an example :

ob Oh boy ! (Old TR that didn't sync)
    -ob Oh boy ! ( New TR that synced )

2. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

This thread has come out of nowhere. Like many others, it's not working for me.

It *was* working, say around 6 months ago (I don't know exactly as I haven't been changing any of my shortcuts) but I currently have three devices (iPhone iOS 11.0.1, iPad iOS 9.3.5, Macbook 10.13) and each has its own list of text replacements. Edits, additions, deletions on any of the three devices stay local.

How hard can it be to fix this? Just uncloak it so we can see the text replacements in the cloud (say at icloud.com) and sort it out. I'm struggling to think of ways that this function could be too complex to get working, but it seems they've found a way :)

3. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Try to create a new list with something noticeable ( For me it was a dash - ) on one device only . If they sync everywhere , you're good and can delete all the others .

I think that over the years we have messed up a lot between devices . I hope this helps and it wasn't just luck on my side....

4. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Just tried that on my iPhone.

On my iPad nothing.
    On my MacPro nothing (no replacements at all).
    On my MacBook the sync worked.

All logged into the same iCloud account. Been lik this for years. Nothing is fixed.

5. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

Have you tried logging out then back in to iCloud ? I really don't know what to say ..

6. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

A million times over the years.

7. aylk macrumors regular

aylk

8. Yptcn macrumors 6502a

Yptcn

I'm really sorry Adrianlondon & Pagemakers , but don't worry , I'm sure it will get s..... on my side again one day .

9. LxHunter, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

LxHunter macrumors 6502

Just tested - Still broken
    Have iPhone, iPad, MBP
    Only sync between MBP to iPad worked both ways

How hard can this be to fix?
    Basic usability function
    Yet the cringeworthy emoji demo

Supposed to be satire
    But is painfully true for me

10. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

It’s pathetic that this has gone on for so long.

Either Apple don’t care about it or someone somewhere is very incompetent.

11. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

No sync for me still.

Can’t they put Craig to run the text replacement team? Seriously, everything iCloud related syncs perfectly for me. Except these text snippets.

12. lexvo macrumors 65816

I didn't even know these text replacements were supposed to sync! :p

13. CrystalQuest76 macrumors 6502a

I had been having the problem of the text shortcuts not being synched across my devices and thought I had done something wrong. I really like using text shortcuts since all the way back in 1996 when I used Thunder 7 on the Mac (OS 7.5-8). When text short cuts were added to the modern Mac and iOS devices i found it to be a welcome return (but was annoyed when they were out of synch. I do wish that text short cuts would generate multiple lines of text and that there were shortcuts for various dates and times (which existed in Thunder 7).

14. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

They do if created on a Mac and synched (hahaha) to your iOS device.

15. timmyh Contributing Editor

timmyh

Added to article:

Update: An Apple spokesperson informed John Gruber later on Wednesday that an update to move text replacement syncing to CloudKit should be rolling out to iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra 10.13 "in the next month or so".

16. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Nice to hear that it will happen soon.
    Makes you wonder what the text replacement team have been doing the past 12 months.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're assuming, of course, that there IS a "text replacement team", rather than text replacement being just one of many projects being worked on by a team that is not solely dedicated to this one feature.

18. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

They had "tr = Text Replacement" set up but it didn't sync, so everyone forgot what the tr team did.

19. MikeLW, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

MikeLW macrumors newbie

MikeLW

mine seems to be working better ... 3 of my devices (iPad/iPhone/iMac) are syncing extremely reliably and fast .... but 2 devices seems to be left out (MBP and 2nd iPhone.) Nothing I create there syncs-out and none of the new changes sync-in. can't seem to figure out any way to get these orphaned devices back in the club. All devices are on the latest OS revision and signed in with the same iCloud account.

20. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

I have exactly the same problem with Safari offline reading list and synching. Sometime it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes it saves for offline reading and sometimes it doesn’t.

Absolutely junk - has been for 2 years.

21. macgabe macrumors regular

For some reason, Apple has never been able to get "Cloud" right. (Which is a shame because it's one of the most important services in computing now). Syncing in particular. I so want to switch to Safari, but for the life of me cannot import my bookmarks from Chrome and keep them there. Apple Cloud keeps deleting, or duplicating, or preventing changes, or reordering, or selectively not importing some, or not deleting old ones. It's just a text list of URLs for freak's sake. How hard can it be?!! After two days of trying I'm just about ready to give up.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    And another thing… Notes! A few months ago I tried moving from Evernote to Notes. O.M.G. Literally days of frozen syncing ensued. The app was so frozen I had to spend hours manually deleting hundreds of entries which (presumably) were trying sync, until I had finally cleared the whole app out. OK for half a dozen notes, nothing more.

22. lexvo macrumors 65816

Notes is syncing very reliable for me, in my opinion the new cloudkit improved things considerably.

23. DailySlow macrumors member

DailySlow

Text Replacement working perfectly on Mac Mini, iPhone SE, iPad Mini - but then, that may be because I have never even really tried to activate it before. It was pretty useless. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - but now THIs works : )

24. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Hope it lasts for more than a couple of days for you!

25. DailySlow macrumors member

DailySlow

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ eh?