macOS High Sierra and iOS 11 May Fix Long-Standing Sync Issues With iCloud Text Replacements [Update: Soon]

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Actually I just realized yesterday that after a clean install of High Sierra and updating to iOS 11.0.1, my snippets were gone from all my devices.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2017 ---
    I keep a table in Notes of all my snippets. Can’t believe how many times I’ve had to use that.

2. trenchantly macrumors newbie

Still not working for me. 11.01 and Apple Support have no solution.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 30, 2017 ---
    I would but now I have a new Bug which is stopping me create new ones

3. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Incredible isn’t it. We are not asking for brain surgery. Just a very simple sync from the world’s no1 tech company.

Been waiting 2 years for this and Safari offline syncing to work as advertised.

Apple can’t do cloud period. But I don’t think they care.

4. DailySlow, Sep 30, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017

DailySlow macrumors member

DailySlow

Text replace not synching on iPad. Phone/Mac Mini are ok almost instantaneously synching. Pad and phone updated to 11.0.1 version 15A402
    Notes synching ok and fast. All devices within 24" of each other, same network. Not good about TR though. Reboot pad but no help there.

5. adrianlondon, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

adrianlondon

I .... I'm in shock! I don't know what happened but I imagine aliens are involved.

My text replacements have synced! They're THE SAME on my Macbook and my phone. I just deleted one that was a test and the deletion replicated within a few seconds. I'm too scared to turn my iPad on in case the aliens get stressed out and stop syncing them.

Edit: Turned iPad on this morning. It's still being fiercely independent. iOS9 is giving the finger to iOS11 and High Sierra.

6. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Enjoy the moment friend. It won’t last!

7. DailySlow macrumors member

DailySlow

iPad Mini still not synching (TRY) but notes ok

8. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

9. schrodinger_cat macrumors newbie

schrodinger_cat

I don't really care about Text Replacement, but Safari Reading List and especially Safari History syncing is completely unreliable and broken. This is so annoying. Is it need to be ported on CloudKit too?

10. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

My iPhone has NEVER synced text replacements from my Mac, but suddenly every single text replacements appeared on my iPhone. This happened just after I upgraded from 11.0.3 to 11.1 public beta 2.
    Coincidence, or does 11.1 fix this issue?

11. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Nope!

iPad and iPhone sysnching not working for me. Both iOS 11.03

12. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9

Just setup a new iPad and only 2 of 6 came over... both devices are on the latest iOS 11.1 beta. Tried adding a test one on both and they don’t sync.

Why is this so hard?

Also wondering what iCloud setting controls this... iCloud Drive? iCloud Keychain?

13. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

14. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Still not fixed. Thought an update was coming soon?

15. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

16. stayingaliveuk macrumors newbie

stayingaliveuk

You can follow our thread on this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7882683
    Despite the comments by mkpub who believes the problem has been resolved, I have tested it by adding a text replacement to my iOS 11.1.2 iPhone and it pulled it through to my iOS 11.1.2 iPad but my MacOS High Sierra is completely blank, there is no text replacement in there whatsoever. Even when I add new text replacements on my Mac and when I have restarted my machine all the text replacements I have entered are wiped off. This now has been an ongoing issue. I discussed this with Apple direct in December 2016 and it continues to be an issue. It used to work like a dream as I used text replacement all the time. Bad Apple!

17. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

It’s is 1000% NOT WORKING.

Been messing about with this for 2 years or more.

VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD APPLE

18. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Just tried again and it is working between my iOS and Mac OS devices for the first time in 2 years!

The only thing not working is my MacBook. Oddly I signed out of iCloud on that device, rebooted and my shortcuts were still there. How? I thought they were tied to my iCloud account!!

Now I’m confused.

19. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Deleted a rogue PLIST file on the MacBook and all seems good for the first time in 2 years. I’ve been here before so I won’t hold my breath for now.

20. Charles Crawford macrumors newbie

Charles Crawford

My new iPhone X is wonderful but WILL NOT SYNCH my numerous text replacements on my old iPhone 6S. Grappling with successive Apple helplines who keep 'escalating' the issue to no avail. I continue tomorrow if only out of interest. I have now spent FAR more time talking uselessly to friendly Apple people than it would have taken me to input these replacements from scratch...

My daughter's new iPhone X DID synch with her puny text replacements on her older iPhone.

I wonder if the OS backups can't cope with different sets of text replacements on different devices synching to the same iCloud area

21. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

No I think Apple just ballsed up this and many other iCloud based services.

22. Charles Crawford macrumors newbie

Charles Crawford

You may well be right. But I'm pretty happy with how iCloud and now Files deals with my relatively modest issues. Other than this one!

23. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

Cloudkit has done a pretty good job especially once they moved Notes over to Cloudkit. I wished that they would move the whole damn lot over to it including email because god knows the whole IMAP/SMTP is unreliable mess when it comes to its push service.

24. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

They need to move Safari offline reading list to CloudKit too. That’s a synching mess and has been for a couple of years.

25. ThatTechGuy macrumors member

Is it just me or is this fixed? My shortcuts are finally working on my iMac after 2+ years of not syncing.