Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astingel2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
This is from the second thread posted:

Good news : I have just found that NVMe SSD are compatible with MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Air and Mac mini from mid-2014 models up to 2017 iMac...
You need to use MacOs 10.13 High Sierra at least, because of the NVMe driver which doesn't recognize non-Apple NVMe SSD on lower OS (El Capitan or 10.12 Sierra).

And this is why I said I needed to get High Sierra onto my external hard drive in order for it to recognize the SSD. The SSD will work but only if I can get High Sierra installed so the firmware is updated. And I keep getting blocked on the firmware update and from what I’m seeing it’s because I’m using an external hard drive. So I basically need an Apple SSD to install High Sierra onto then I can use the SSD I bought. Can’t understand why the update won’t go onto my external hard drive. Sierra installed just fine.
[doublepost=1515429844][/doublepost]On another note, I just took a look at my firmware and found that it does not match the OS I’m running.

I’m running MacOS Sierra 10.12.6. The matching firmware should be: MBP121.0167.B33. My firmware is MBP121.0167.B18, which is for MacOS Sierra 10.12.2. Could this be my issue with updating the external hard drive to High Sierra?

Astingel2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^Yep, I missed the 13". Sorry:oops:

HS should install on your external drive.

Lou

Astingel2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Yea, it should, but it’s giving me the firmware verification error. Contacting the person I bought the hard drive from. He’s been offering some assistance, maybe he has some answers. I appreciate all your help. If you come across anything I haven’t already tried please let me know. Thanks!

Astingel2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
Hello again! So I was able to save the log file from the failed installation. Any chance anyone could examine it and tell me what's wrong or anyone know anybody that could examine it? It would be a big help. I should be able to install High Sierra on my external hard drive so that it updates the firmware and then I can get my internal SSD going, but I'm still getting the failure during firmware verification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Installer Log 01-09-18.txt
    87.7 KB · Views: 538

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I have an early 2015 13in Retina display MacBook Pro (A1502) that I purchased from Goodwill. It did not have a hard drive. I have one on the way, but it's not Apple OEM so I know the MBP will not recognize it without the firmware update required by High Sierra. I've been running the MBP from Sierra installed on a 1TB external hard drive.

Is there any way to get the MBP to update the firmware while I'm running the OS from the external hard drive? Without it the SSD I ordered is pretty much useless. I've tried updating the external hard to High Sierra but no luck. Any suggestions?

If the drive you ordered is not Apple OEM what brand is it? The only other maker that would fit is OWC. Unless you bought an adapter, the drive needs to be an Apple branded OEM drive that came from a late 2013 MacBook/MacBook Air or newer. Otherwise the slots are different, and it will not fit.

Look at the examples I attached. The first one is an Apple OEM SSD made by Samsung. The slot is near the middle. The second is an aftermarket Intel. The slots do not match up.

Attachments

• gdfNgV2sBfFspt5g.large.jpeg
    gdfNgV2sBfFspt5g.large.jpeg
    616.3 KB · Views: 233
  • 20-167-412-18.jpg
    20-167-412-18.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 129

Astingel2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2018
If the drive you ordered is not Apple OEM what brand is it? The only other maker that would fit is OWC. Unless you bought an adapter, the drive needs to be an Apple branded OEM drive that came from a late 2013 MacBook/MacBook Air or newer. Otherwise the slots are different, and it will not fit.

Look at the examples I attached. The first one is an Apple OEM SSD made by Samsung. The slot is near the middle. The second is an aftermarket Intel. The slots do not match up.

It's a WD Black PCIe NVMe with an adapter. It fits just fine and is recognized whenever the MBP is started in recovery mode or when I go to Disk Utility after getting the installation failure screen. The firmware update in High Sierra is supposed to make the bootrom recognize and run non-Apple SSDs. I just wish they'd made this firmware a separate update then I could better isolate the problem if it didn't update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.