MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest beta update of macOS Monterey, released to developers today, has brought Live Text functionality to Intel-based Mac computers, removing the requirement for users to use an M1 Apple silicon Mac to utilize the feature, according to Rene Ritchie.

live-text-macos-monterey-feature.jpg

Live Text, included in the forthcoming macOS Monterey, iOS 15, and iPadOS 15 updates, allows users to interact with text within images, such as phone numbers, addresses, and more. With Live Text, text inside images also becomes selectable, allowing users to cut and copy the text into apps.

Apple at first stated that an M1 Apple silicon Mac is a requirement for Live Text on macOS Monterey, but with the latest beta, it's been expanded to Intel-based Mac computers.

macOS Monterey, alongside iOS 15, iPadOS 15, tvOS 15, and watchOS 8, will be released to all users this coming fall. Learn more about macOS Monterey and all of it's new features using our guide.

Article Link: macOS Monterey Beta 4 Brings Live Text to Intel-Based Macs

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: RandomDSdevel

iOS Geek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
Hmm, I wonder if any of the other features that were found to NOT be coming to Intel based Macs will get the same treatment.

I won't be surprised if this isn't the case...but then one could also say that this could be a sign of that possibility.

• Wow
Reactions: Babygotfont
Comment

name99

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2004
So when I want to copy text from idiot Apple apps (like Music.app) that won't allow me to copy some text fields, the workflow will be
- screen capture the Apple app
- use Live Text to copy it from the screen capture
?

That seems like, uh, "something". Something yes, but progress is definitely not the word.

Last edited:
Comment

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
So planned obsolescence... There's no reason why a 2017 or 2019 MBP can't support it. I wonder how many other features Apple has intentionally kept from their machines just to make new machines a more compelling upgrade.

My 2012 (NINE YEARS OLD) Mac Pro runs macOS Big Slur w/o issues. Just had to upgrade the graphics card. I'm not expecting Apple to support 9+ year old computers, but when the hardware is perfectly capable, there's no reason to drop support.

Comment

xWhiplash

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
So planned obsolescence... There's no reason why a 2017 or 2019 MBP can't support it. I wonder how many other features Apple has intentionally kept from their machines just to make new machines a more compelling upgrade.

My 2012 (NINE YEARS OLD) Mac Pro runs macOS Big Slur w/o issues. Just had to upgrade the graphics card. I'm not expecting Apple to support 9+ year old computers, but when the hardware is perfectly capable, there's no reason to drop support.

I’d hate to see what you say about Windows 11. Sometimes you just need to cut support for old systems.

Comment

Wildkraut

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2015
Germany

You had to upgrade the graphic card, probably because there was no driver for it. But i bet even your old graphic card would be technically capable of running it without issues.

Comment

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
You had to upgrade the graphic card, probably because there was no driver for it. But i bet even your old graphic card would be technically capable of running it without issues.
I actually had to upgrade the graphics card to support Metal. Should have clarified that I had to to that to get macOS Mojave too. Apple officially supported 2010-2012 Mac Pro with Mojave provided there was a supported graphics card installed.

Comment

macintoshmac

macrumors 603
May 13, 2010

2017 MacBook Air, and Live Text is working.

Comment

Wildkraut

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
The proof of Apple's planned obsolescence is supporting intel Macs with a new feature?

...makes sense.

You realize that Apple itself is in charge of MacOS betas, right? :)
Sure they are in charge, that’s why they are responsible for the planned obsolescence. They changed their mind because too many users got pissed off, but as i said it was primarily a planned obsolescence to prioritize their business benefits, which got reconsidered. Simply as that, and proves how they generally tic. As soon they can, they drive their users against the wall, this feature wasn’t simply important enough to continue to piss off their users. Breaking iCloud Notes Sync builds a much stronger longer lever.

Last edited:
Comment

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I actually had to upgrade the graphics card to support Metal. Should have clarified that I had to to that to get macOS Mojave too. Apple officially supported 2010-2012 Mac Pro with Mojave provided there was a supported graphics card installed.
Then you just answer your own question. Your Mac was initially not capable of Metal 2 support so no, your hardware was not ‘perfectly’ capable. Most Mac buyers are not tech savvy enough to know how to upgrade their graphics cards.
Your device’s entire chipset would likely be dropped as well. Just like the GMA 950/X3100 MacBook Models with Snow Leopard and Lion, your Mac Pro was on borrowed time with Mojave.
Try as you might, the lack of graphics acceleration in future OS releases will hurt. Developers don’t have the patience to keep working things down that old of a machine. Nothing personal or planned, just laziness probably.

Last edited:
Comment

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
The proof of Apple's planned obsolescence is supporting intel Macs with a new feature?

...makes sense.

You realize that Apple itself is in charge of MacOS betas, right? :)
Yeah this has been bizarre to me. This feature was explicitly said to NOT be coming to intel Macs, and Apple added it anyway and people are mad about it. I don't get it.

Comment

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Sure they are in charge, that’s why they are responsible for the planned obsolescence. They changed their mind because too many users got pissed off, but as i said it was primarily a planned obsolescence to prioritize their business benefits, which got reconsidered. Simply as that!
I guess complain either way, it's the way of the forum poster ;)

I'd be surprised if enough customers even heard of Live Text in Monterey, and want it that badly, that their whining was so loud, that Apple scrapped their Evil Plans™ just this once, and flipped a switch they had no intention of flipping, to get the feature active in beta. I think there are a lot louder complaints than this that do not get serviced...

Comment

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I wonder what’s John Grubers excuse now. I remember him saying, Live Text was only possible because the M1 chip. When it was obvious Apple was just being stubborn about adding support. It would be ridiculous a feature like this would really require the M1 chip. Worse, they are still selling Intel MacBook Pros for the foreseeable future.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.